1 2 3 4
Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/1/19 9:20 a.m.

This is my build thread for the 1996 Miata purchased from MTN.. who go it from Nocones who got it from Pete Gossett and on and on and on and on.  Acquisition story here:  https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/trips-adventures-and-get-togethers/mini-fly-n-drive/154050/page1/

Fueled by Caffeine
6/1/19 9:25 a.m.

1st goal of project..  Get it running again.  I have purchased a set of left hand drill bits and an ez out set from High Qualiteee tool store(Also known as Harbor  Fright).  Once I get it running, I'll go back for a compression tester to see if the head gasket is roached or not.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/1/19 10:01 a.m.

Reading your adventure my first fear was the keyway on the crank bolt. I was relieved it was just the four little bolts. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/1/19 1:33 p.m.

Cool. Glad to hear it wasn't a catastrophic failure. Here's to hoping the head gasket survived.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/1/19 4:17 p.m.

It'll be fine!

And if its not, i know a guy that does crazy stuff with cheap miatas. Plenty of options here. 

Kia fe3 engine being the top one, with boost......

Fueled by Caffeine
6/2/19 8:47 a.m.

Lip is going to be tough to fix.. looks like it pulled the bumper cover down some..  I'll need to fix that.. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/2/19 9:11 a.m.

I would probably "fix" that lip with one drill bit and one zip tie.  

Fueled by Caffeine
6/2/19 1:18 p.m.

So.  Either I take out the rad and all this other stuff. Or I try to take out crank bolt and then take out the hub.

firsti have to build some ramps to get it in the air a little. 

Also the list of need to buys are getting long. Jack jack stands etc. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/2/19 1:37 p.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

Pulling the radiator isn't bad. Comes out with fans attached. I did my timing chain without jacking it up. Just get something soft to kneel on. 

Fueled by Caffeine
6/2/19 2:43 p.m.

After staring at it. I’m thinking I need to yank the bolt and repair the hub on the bench. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/2/19 11:29 p.m.

Like Stampie said, the radiator is easy & gives you room to work. Plus you don’t have to fear damaging it. 

Fueled by Caffeine
6/3/19 11:19 a.m.

now I need to build some ramps so I can get it in the air to drain the coolant.  I wanted a project.. :-)

olso3904
olso3904 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/3/19 11:41 a.m.

Looks like a fun project! Any big plans for it?

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
6/3/19 12:19 p.m.

I guess I need to follow this thread after that variety of fly-n-drive

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap Dork
6/3/19 12:39 p.m.

I finished reading your last thread, I had the same thing happen on my way home from NC a few years back. Car got hot, but was good to go. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
6/3/19 12:49 p.m.

Is your thread title a play on words from Full Metal Jacket?

Either way, enjoy your ride on the town bike.  I hope It only improves for here on.

Fueled by Caffeine
6/3/19 1:10 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

its a cheap homage to the Garry Shandling  show theme song  my favorite show from my youth and arguably the best theme song ever

https://slate.com/culture/2016/03/why-the-theme-song-for-it-s-garry-shandling-s-show-is-the-greatest-tv-theme-song-of-all-time.html

Fueled by Caffeine
6/7/19 12:37 p.m.

and... harbor freight parking lot sale delivers..

aluminum racing jack, stands, sockets and torque wrenches.. ohh and 2ft long "professional" breaker bar.  I'm over two hundred pounds + 2 foot shoudl be able to generate 400 lb-ft if needed by standign on it.  

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/7/19 2:21 p.m.

if that's the Pittsburgh brand breaker bar, it's a good one.  i'm only 175# but i've jumped on it without failure.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap Dork
6/7/19 2:45 p.m.

I rock a 24'' Harbor Freight breaker bar, with a 3ft pipe on it and me (290lbs) jumping on it hasnt broken yet. 

Fueled by Caffeine
6/7/19 10:13 p.m.

Pictures later. But everything is out.   One broken bolt is being very stubborn and I dont love the looks of the rubber in the harmonic balancer pulley.  It's got some very small cracks in it  I'm going to out it all back together and see how it goes. 

Fueled by Caffeine
6/8/19 12:53 p.m.

Fuuuuuu.   Got all broken screws out save one.  It won't move at all. Left have drill bits. Screw extractor. Nothing.  Time to find another one. 

Going to be the 2nd week in July before I can address this crap. What a pain in the ass. I just have so much going on. So much work travel. Ugh.  

Anyone have a crank pulley boss for a 1994-1997 miata 1.8? 

Fueled by Caffeine
6/8/19 6:17 p.m.

Mapp has to the rescue?

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/9/19 6:16 a.m.

Did all-4 bolts snap off, or did any back out?

Fueled by Caffeine
6/9/19 11:57 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

One fell out three snapped off. I was able to get two do of the snapped off ones out. The third is a real pain. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1P1WAoHQUqUgPDbVtEUUCt81X5rMdhL1UCylCnsP4EyiF7hiSz0Q4ESRSNRCVJ2Y