Murphy
Murphy Reader
7/9/17 12:06 p.m.

I wrote this awhile ago, and didn't know what todo with it, so here it goes...

Every time I drag it out after winter I think about selling it . I think about each individual part I know is gonna rattle like hell until I get down my dirt road onto pavement. The clutch takeup is immediate , there's almost no lift before it engages, this always takes some getting used to. Shifting even slowly from first into second starts to turn my mind. I can feel my heart rate rising already. I let the engine warm and accelerate slowly but once the turbo comes up it's hard to ignore that push.

You stop noticing the cracked dash and the steering wheel that looks like your dog might’ve used it as a chew toy. The goofy blow off valve some kid installed is still there, making it seem like this car might be a joke, something to laugh at.

Teenagers drive by packed full in a new BMW convertible. They glance over, avoiding full eye contact, as if approaching someone you might expect to pull a knife on you in an alley. They’re not wrong though, if this car could pull a knife on you it would.

Driving slowly through some rough road construction patches making my way to The Corner. We all have one of those corners, the hero corner. Mine is a T intersection with no stop signs for those going left and lots of room for hooliganism on either side. I drop it into second, rev the engine and let the clutch out, the rear end begs to come around and trade places with the front. I let it slide just long enough to correct it smoothly and fly straight and into a long wide right hander. I think my hands are shaking a little.

I turn around and head towards home , only had time for the first of the year break in drive tonite. At the next stop a family in a rusty minivan yells “green light!”, as I'm letting the clutch out, they don't even see the rough patches in the road and I know I'll feel every bump so I'm taking it slow. I get past the patch and I'm gone as they shrink in my tiny rear view mirror, just between the roll bars crossed X. Like the bones on a pirates flag.

I catch the next yellow light and make a hard right turn , the guy in his CTS sedan with black wheels is questioning why he spent whatever he spent and I'm gone before he comes to his senses. He had the same look in his eyes as those teenagers.

I rattle down the dirt road again , a cloud behind me. Slide into the drive way and behind the barn , letting the engine cool. I basically own this car for one corner. And it never disappoints , I get out sweaty and shaky every time. I think I'll go drive something less sketchy, like my motorcycle. I have a love hate relationship with this car , I hate it until I drive it and I love it until I get out.

mrap1000
mrap1000 New Reader
7/9/17 6:05 p.m.

You've got a way with words, man. Thanks for that.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
7/9/17 6:54 p.m.

Pretty much nailed what a lot of us feel about our toy cars. What we hate and what we live for.

Murphy
Murphy Reader
7/9/17 10:24 p.m.

In reply to mrap1000: thanks man! My head gets filled when I drive something that's not boring me to death. Realized afterwards maybe I should posted this under the Adventures and Trips section!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sHR0PHhNMxbF1zNEplaEJOeqrgbuXN5U9H0stpv5MpLdz96om93XfCamXTGSbMKj