1 ... 41 42 43 44 45
Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/26/23 5:45 p.m.

jimgood
jimgood Reader
2/26/23 6:13 p.m.

That's one of the most beautiful ugly cars I've ever seen! So cool!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/26/23 6:32 p.m.

The previous winner of the Trifecta of Crap is now becoming the Quartermaster of Cool.

Patrick
2/26/23 7:28 p.m.
Patrick
2/26/23 7:29 p.m.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
2/26/23 8:56 p.m.

Seriously cool.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/26/23 9:02 p.m.

This is the awesomest thing that ever awesomed.

New problem:  You have more cool cars to take to cruise-ins than you have drivers.  Although I suppose you can pick and choose what you take to where.

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
2/26/23 9:39 p.m.

Congrats man! Awesome to see it move!

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
2/27/23 9:39 p.m.

So how does it feel to have the only street legal C/Gas to terrorize your hood?

Pete. (l33t FS)
2/27/23 11:44 p.m.
XLR99 (Forum Supporter)
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/28/23 7:05 a.m.

Good thing you got it out before the monsoon started!

Patrick
2/28/23 8:37 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

i don't have scales but it falls firmly into A/Gas based on pounds per cubic inch. Knowing where it started, about how much got added and how much got removed, it should fall somewhere between 2400-2700 pounds and my official guess is 2600

there are a small handful of street driven gassers around here. I've definitely seen more gassers than skylines over the last 5 years, but not by many

the fun part will be taking it to the BMV for the out of state inspection, that I never did in 2016 because it was in a million pieces. Then we can see if State Farm has ever insured a Wartburg before

Dirtydog (Forum Supporter)
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/28/23 10:03 a.m.

Ooh my!  That baby's got back....  The rear vent window is cool.  Good luck with registering and insuring it.

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
2/28/23 8:14 p.m.

All I can relate to this is a C/Gas Anglia that ran at 42 in the late sixties(68) . My family and I were actually at 42 the day astronauts landed on the moon!!! Well, that car was such an inspiration that I actually built a Revell scale model of it. Needless to say that when I returned to the track and gave it to him he was speechless.....and no I didn't get a 'T'.....just the satisfaction of watching him share it with his peeps.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
2/28/23 8:35 p.m.

Nice!  Can't wait to check it out in person, especially if I can make it up there when you hit a test and tune.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/4/23 7:58 p.m.

I got to see the Wartburg in person today and the added bonus of hearing it run. It was nice. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
3/4/23 8:36 p.m.

Dang it, I didn't know you were in town

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
3/4/23 8:49 p.m.
Stampie said:

I got to see the Wartburg in person today and the added bonus of hearing it run. It was nice. 

You were north of the Mason-Dixon line and didn't stop by to see me? :)

Patrick
3/11/23 9:17 p.m.

I drove the car last saturday. Just out into the street and into/back home from the subdivision up the street. My trusty old holley 600 is leaking from the throttle shafts, so I tried to easy button a new brawler 600 from Holley. When I installed it, I was getting no pump shot and no pump movement. 93 minutes on phone with Holley's tech line to figure out the check valve seat for the accelerator pump nozzle was not machined right and causing the nozzle screw to hold the valve closed. They wanted, for a brand new carb, for me to mail it in, wait 3 weeks, and they would rebuild it and send it back. Number one, I didn't trust them to do it right after not testing the pump shot in QC, and number two berkeley that noise. Thankfully, I bought it through ebay so the next day I was informed that ebay sales are the only ones they do replacement on instead of their rebuild service because of ebay's customer service policies. Then after 10 more minutes of going through the process on the phone, he informed me they have 0 in stock. At this point, I was informed I could get a refund via ebay if I do a return, so I did. What a huge disappointment from a previously high quality company. Tech dude was awesome, the process was a B and I wasted so much time.

After that, I bought a rebuild kit(not holley brand berkeley them) and did a quickie bowl rebuild on a holley that was on the shelf which I have no idea where it came from and it fired right up and is running decent. may need to get a bigger accelerator pump nozzle but it was driveable. Transmission appears to be a full manual valve body but my ratchet shifter works well for it. Not my preferred thing, but it was free and it works so thanks, Pete!

It does big smoky burnouts and some dude almost fell out his car window to turn and look as I went by

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
3/12/23 2:10 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

We need video confirmation

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/12/23 2:28 p.m.
Patrick said:

It does big smoky burnouts

Liar

GaryC83
GaryC83 Reader
3/12/23 3:45 p.m.

Bitchin setup. Unfortunately your experience with Holley jives with what a lot of industry folks experience on a day to day basis with them. And as they acquire more and more companies that used to be great, those go to E36 M3 as well. That's. The problem with private equity firms buying up everything. Literally. Everything. 

https://www.holley.com/brands/

Anyway, back to the car. Super cool build. Hope you can now enjoy the hell out of it. 

Patrick
3/12/23 5:36 p.m.

In reply to GaryC83 :

That sucks. I got a semi private tour of their place when they were just Holley back in 01-02 and it was a super experience. I'm disappointed to see more and more brands getting vacuumed up by them and stripped for the brand and not the quality I'm used to. Mr Gasket and Accel were local companies for me and the Holley conglomerate gobbled them up and ditched most of the product lines and now Accel coils are laughed at

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/12/23 7:17 p.m.

I have heard rumours of Holley quality going down hill. Seems that some people are collecting all the old Holley parts they can find and rebuilding with what used to be quality parts. 

The 670 Holley street avenger that I bought required a full disassembly and inspection/cleanup of all orifices before it worked. On a carb that was supposedly fluid tested, there were issues with the idle orifices not being clear. Easy fix, but required full teardown and inspection.

Patrick
4/5/23 8:05 p.m.

Ok I havent touched this thing in 4 weeks. New laundry room cabinets, some paying jobs, a trip to Radwood Charlotte, new stereo system in the Skyline, and a free 66 Impala later I'm back after it. Today I made passenger seat brackets. Can drill for the seat studs and paint tomorrow then install seat and belt. Then it's on to weatherstripping the rear doors and? Have to dig out where I put my pneumatic grease gun because it has the flexible hose I need to get on the lower ball joints, set toe, adjust steering box and idk. Probably play musical cars at that point and do the brakes on the Charger with the lift then put the 57 up and the Wartburg on the floor. 

1 ... 41 42 43 44 45

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZevVV4CcMAlmYJ08WNYVOA4pYwo9Mou8QcM9zQ9nq5lTGAyT1o5V6Kg2gbVUY76F