1 ... 11 12 13 14 15
275nart
275nart Reader
6/30/23 7:18 p.m.
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) said:

OK, wow! That's some nice work on the door aperture. 

Thanks!!!  Trying to learn as I go 

mocking up the door handle.  I'm thinking hand fabricating it out of aluminum is the way to go

275nart
275nart Reader
7/29/23 9:15 p.m.

I have one door frame almost completed now and moving to the other.  I took a little break from sheet metal to hand fabricate the door handles.  I think they turned out really great, still some work left for the lock cylinders and attaching some studs to the back and polishing it all up...

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
7/29/23 9:22 p.m.

Nice!

275nart
275nart Reader
7/31/23 8:43 a.m.

Thanks!

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/31/23 11:24 a.m.

Those handles look awesome!  Well done! 

mgb65
mgb65 New Reader
11/7/23 7:38 p.m.

In reply to 275nart :

I have to say, those handles turned out nothing short of amazing.  The work you are doing is inspiring.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/7/23 8:30 p.m.

While I am impatient to see the body develop, the handles are a work of art. 

Always like to see this thread pop up.

Pete

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
11/8/23 9:41 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

I'm still standing agog of all the door frame fabrication. This is going to be a first-class car when finished.

cheese
cheese New Reader
11/14/23 2:01 p.m.

those handles are artful and truly bode well for other details in the future.

275nart
275nart Reader
11/16/23 2:03 p.m.

Thanks for the kind words.  I have the door frames 95% and jambs done... also rear wheel tubs and some more structure there all tied up but I've been on a hiatus for a couple of months.  That is all welded up and in epoxy primer and seam sealed.  Updates coming soon.  If you want to see a quick walk around from a couple months ago here you go 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-ZpoSO0ZsQ

275nart
275nart Reader
1/18/24 2:37 p.m.

Some progress on the door sills, rockers, door frames, door handles & locks, and door skins.  I took way too much time to get these cheap anvils cleaned up and polished but I think it's already paying in dividends (I went from 50 grit to 2000).  

I made the skins and was really happy after wheeling them up with a subtle ~1/4" crown across the flattest area when resting on the door frames.  There were hardly any track marks and I planished out all the stop marks etc. I felt super proud of course.  However; lucky me totally ruined one of the skins when wheeling with the rubber wheel to get the bend right around the door frame.  The lower anvil really marked it up before I noticed what was happening so I will be starting over on that side at least.  I have 4 fresh sheets of 3003 on the way to try again... Wish me luck. 

new lock cylinders from a truck toolbox of all places.  They are much closer to the originals than what I had previously.  The linkage is made with some simple threaded rod and clevis ends.  

more structure to the sill and rocker area

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/18/24 2:45 p.m.

nice progress, so far beyond my skills.  glad to see this on page 1 again.

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
1/18/24 3:13 p.m.

Fabulous work!

Do those lock cylinders push in to open the door? If so, where did you get them.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
1/18/24 3:20 p.m.

Beautiful work

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
1/18/24 4:22 p.m.

Impressed with your wheeling skill development. My poor e-wheel has been bored to death these last few years.

275nart
275nart Reader
1/19/24 10:31 a.m.

Thank you all!  It is frustrating spending  a lot of time to get something perfect and then goof it up, but lesson learned I suppose!  

The lock cylinders are these right here @turboforce .  The button can be pressed in whether in the lock or unlock position, it's just the cam portion on the inside turns 180*.  This worked out well for me because I made it so the little tab can only depress the linkage rod when turned all the way one way but not the other. 

https://www.extremeterrain.com/tuffy-replacement-push-button-lock.html?utm_campaign=XT+General+Brands+Medium+LTVMiddle&dialogtech=ppc&utm_source=google-pla&utm_medium=shopping&T5_Var2=shopping&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAm4WsBhCiARIsAEJIEzWI9_urc7Gnprp5Bkt8DBWIwbHt8icMQWM7Bd6_0wquDstw35fwIeMaAjv4EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/19/24 10:44 a.m.

Amazing work!   

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
1/19/24 11:49 a.m.

In reply to 275nart :

Thank you for the link!!    Could you share a pic of how it presses the linkage?

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/19/24 6:27 p.m.

I'm sittin' here with eyes so wide open, they're waterin'. Just amazing work, simply amazing. We are getting to see how master coachbuilders start out and learn their craft. For someone who is apparently largely self-taught, your work here is top shelf.

That said, you've expressed a reluctance to put a Chevy engine in anything not GM but you're putting a 2jz in a 280z and a 240sx! Isn't that the same thing? LOL... joking mostly. I've been tempted to put a turbo K24 into a Z-car myself. Front mid-engine with about 400 horsies and <2500 pounds. Still, it violates that rule twice: a Honda in a Datsun AND a four cylinder in a six cylinder car.

As you were.

RandyS
RandyS Reader
1/22/24 7:14 p.m.

Wow!  been 6 or 7 years since I last checked in on this thread.  Impressive work!

275nart
275nart Reader
1/24/24 8:56 p.m.
rdcyclist said:

I'm sittin' here with eyes so wide open, they're waterin'. Just amazing work, simply amazing. We are getting to see how master coachbuilders start out and learn their craft. For someone who is apparently largely self-taught, your work here is top shelf.

That said, you've expressed a reluctance to put a Chevy engine in anything not GM but you're putting a 2jz in a 280z and a 240sx! Isn't that the same thing? LOL... joking mostly. I've been tempted to put a turbo K24 into a Z-car myself. Front mid-engine with about 400 horsies and <2500 pounds. Still, it violates that rule twice: a Honda in a Datsun AND a four cylinder in a six cylinder car.

As you were.

Hah. Well the 2jz is God's motor.  Much better than the chain driven distributor based 4cyl that came in that car. 

275nart
275nart Reader
1/24/24 8:58 p.m.

here is a photo of the push button latch pushing against the rod that pops the latch

I have figured out how I want to trim and flange the area for the door scraper molding.  Just about ready to turn the flanges over on the one good door skin too. 

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
1/24/24 9:05 p.m.

More nice work!

Thanx for the pic!

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/24/24 11:33 p.m.

Good grief. I want to say something worthwhile here, but I can't find any words that would add value to the thread. Just ... keep the updates coming, please. 

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
1/25/24 7:24 a.m.

In reply to TurboFource :

By nice I really mean excellent!

1 ... 11 12 13 14 15

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Vr6de53dot7r6gJRDiwGhe3B1v9V7EDGfSKIaSLCr97cTJFegGbSPxF8Q3phzIkq