Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy New Reader
11/21/18 12:53 a.m.

Just wondering. On my ecotec Alfa Romeo spider  build, I am using qa1 3 peice Teflon rod ends, with full cover seals it's rubber boots.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/18 7:20 a.m.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
11/21/18 10:32 a.m.

I used them on my CP Camaro, Teflon lined but without any boot. While it wasn't a street car, never had any issues. Steering linkage was all u-joints with no rubber coupler, and never felt anything through the steering wheel, even on rough autox courses. 

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/21/18 10:40 a.m.

ive always wanted to do this and never knew the "kosher" way of doing things.  

I plan to make custom control arms for my Tercel and was thinking of using an adjustable length GM style upper BJ as my lower Bj so I can restore the geometry and possible lower the car more.  Being still primarily a fun street car I dunno if going rod-end will work out long term for me

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/18 10:55 a.m.

You should have a...I don't know the word. An oversize washer on the mounting bolts to "catch" the link if the rod end fails.

Titan4
Titan4 New Reader
11/21/18 11:02 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

You should have a...I don't know the word. An oversize washer on the mounting bolts to "catch" the link if the rod end fails.

Safety retaining washer is what Pegasus calls them.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/18 11:11 a.m.

That would be a logical name :) Actually required by most sanctioning bodies, I believe.

olso3904
olso3904 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/21/18 11:21 a.m.

It looks like you are using the correct type of rod end for tie rods (M series?), as long as they have enough range of motion for steering they should be good. QA1s have a wide range of quality from peice to piece, so you may need to buy extras and match pairs together for how much effort it takes to move the spherical as the tightness of these will directly affect wear.

FK Rods and Aurora bearing have much tighter tolerances and better wear

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy New Reader
11/21/18 2:05 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :I have safety washers,

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy New Reader
11/21/18 2:07 p.m.

I am running full rubber cover from seals it's,for longer life

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy New Reader
11/22/18 10:03 p.m.