1 2
Tazz9924
Tazz9924 New Reader
10/19/22 7:27 p.m.

Hello all! I am the builder of the tube chassis 914 you may see around here from time to time and im here to bring you another one of my questionable goals; The Worlds Fastest Lawnmower!

This is totally diy and i fully intend to get it certified. The record is currently around 140mph. I "want" to hit 160.... in a 1/4 mile, making it likely also the quickest lawnmower. 

The Build: I am effectively building a modified drag ATV chassis to accommodate a more typical riding lawnmower sitting position (albeit laid back). The motor is from a 2003 gsxr 1000, good for 160ish horsepower. now that is a lot, however its not enough in the given distance so its getting a 40-60 shot of nitrous. The power will be transmitted to a full billet aluminum rear axle and hoosier slicks. Updates may be infrequent due to like 3 projects going on at once but i fully expect to begin testing in late spring. 

-friend pictured for scale

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
10/19/22 8:58 p.m.

This looks fantastic!

I'm curious about how "lawnmower" is defined. Does it need a functional deck with a blade?

I'm subscribing with much anticipation.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
10/19/22 9:10 p.m.

Sounds like death on a stick.

I like it. I like it a lot.

DrMikeCSI
DrMikeCSI Reader
10/19/22 9:13 p.m.

Is your friend going to be the test pilot / victim?

Tazz9924
Tazz9924 New Reader
10/19/22 10:48 p.m.

In reply to Brotus7 :

It must Appear like a lawnmower, and cut grass. 

Other than hitting the speed thats the only thing guiness cares about. it will do both. 

Tazz9924
Tazz9924 New Reader
10/19/22 10:50 p.m.

In reply to DrMikeCSI :

No a captain goes down with his ship, i wouldn't allow someone to hurt themselves on my contraption. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
10/19/22 11:26 p.m.
jimbob_racing said:

Sounds like death on a stick.

I like it. I like it a lot.

What he said.

Tazz9924
Tazz9924 New Reader
11/3/22 2:15 p.m.

I didn't yet show off the body for the mower: Its A tradesman by mtd mower. I wanted to take on Honda, and the mowabusa with a square nose american style mower, for the style points. The early measurements tell me the motor will fit very well under the hood.   

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
11/3/22 2:45 p.m.

I am 1000% here for this

Tazz9924
Tazz9924 New Reader
11/6/22 9:20 a.m.

Chassis work starts here in a week or two probably, so ill be sprinkling in some of the parts and pieces i already have. First of which is the rear axles and wheel/tire combo. The rear axle is a JJandA full billet aluminum rear axle. Its gun drilled, beefy as arbys and totally adjustable. To lay the power down is Black DWT aluminum rims with 7.5" hoosier meats from a FSAE car. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/6/22 9:26 a.m.

Okay, this is nuts. You'll fit in well here. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Dork
11/6/22 11:16 a.m.

I really like where this is going. Locally people put bike motors in old lane tractors for tractor pulls but this seems like a much better use of the parts.

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
11/6/22 3:47 p.m.

Can use a reel type mower hanging off the back and just lower it to cut grass? 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/6/22 5:37 p.m.

I wanna buy my weed from your supplier.

I mean..just so I can mow the weeds. Yeah, that is what I meant. 

Maybe.

Tazz9924
Tazz9924 New Reader
11/8/22 6:59 p.m.

In reply to TurboFource :

Can you imagine if that got lowered at speed!

Oapfu
Oapfu GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/8/22 9:50 p.m.

The cost/complexity/weight are absurd compared to maybe a hundred lbs of downforce, but inspired by the Chaparral 2J: a ground effects "mower deck" + a pair of lift fans from a single-person hovercraft (inverted, w/ electric drive?) as "mower blades".  The fans would certainly mow any grass tall enough to reach them, or add something like string trimmer lines closer to the ground.https://www.car-revs-daily.com/wp-content/uploads/old/See-The-Authentic-Chaparral-2H-and-2J-Racecars-at-the-Petroleum-Museum-in-Midland-Texas-36.jpg

Tazz9924
Tazz9924 New Reader
11/9/22 12:28 a.m.

In reply to Oapfu :

Why have i thought of this as well, once it claims records it will go to the autocross. This is quite compelling.  

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
11/9/22 6:32 a.m.

In reply to Tazz9924 :

How fast do you have to mow at?

Tazz9924
Tazz9924 New Reader
11/21/22 2:54 p.m.

any speed thankfully!

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/21/22 3:10 p.m.

I want the speed record to require a clean cut at speed that way you have to worry about receding mower blade cut velocity like fast helicopters have to worry about receding blade lift loss.    

This is going to be amazing to watch.  Please start welding.  

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
11/21/22 3:16 p.m.
Tazz9924 said:

any speed thankfully!

For the world record, do the blades need to be powered by the internal combustion engine?  I ask because it would greatly simplify the execution if you were allowed to adapt a battery powered mower deck to the underside.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/21/22 3:24 p.m.
Indy - Guy said:
Tazz9924 said:

any speed thankfully!

For the world record, do the blades need to be powered by the internal combustion engine?  I ask because it would greatly simplify the execution if you were allowed to adapt a battery powered mower deck to the underside.

I need to check my bins I might have an extra motor and controller from my DC mower days. Or if you find a cheap Ryobi lawnmower I can help guide you through rigging it up as a standalone blade and motor.

Tazz9924
Tazz9924 New Reader
11/24/22 12:27 a.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

i have a electric deck already with a motor controller built in, it was cheap and brand new so its good to go!

Tazz9924
Tazz9924 New Reader
11/24/22 12:53 a.m.

This is the deck in question, it will make the grass cutting aspect safe. its from a walmart brand push mower now very cut down. 
Ps sorry for dragging, i think ill be building the chassis this weekend so hopefully we'll have a semi decent idea of a lawnmower by monday!

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/24/22 1:42 a.m.

In reply to Tazz9924 :

Is that a Ryobi 18"?  That brushed motor will be super easy to control.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EhH8dqtbXvjIrQLXTtMMqksmnwvU8VtOM0LsTKMUrMC57wR1rzJU8Ho8BYHic9tP