1 2
LonH
LonH New Reader
12/21/18 10:51 p.m.

I sincerely hope that title grabbed you made you stop in your tracks. So here's the deal, I'm an Alabama raised gearhead. I've read Hot Rod since I could read and discovered land speed racing and Bonneville early. A chance encounter at Barber's Vintage Fest (bike guy as well) with Keith Turk and I told him I've always wanted to to do LSR. He offered a chance to volunteer. That was 8 years ago. I've been to Maxton, Ohio, and now Arkansas. This year I saw a post on FB, a guy in Ohio was selling his record setting Dodge Neon.  The price? $350. Yep. Now to real life. I am a divorced father of two great kids, and thanks to chold support, I am very short on funds. Knowing this my life long friend and I went into the car together.  With the understanding that I will buy out his half. So does one start to LSR a Neon. The car's previous owner, Bob Ward, talking to Keith Turk said racing was too expensive. Keith bet him that he couldnt go 100 MPH for $500. With Honda Civic coil overs, aero skirting and pulling the air filter they set a record in G/FSS at 116 MPH. My goal is to see 120. The car is a 2.0 liter, automatic. The interior is stripped to a driver's seat and dashboard. There's some surface rust underneath, however it's a very solid little car. I plan on swapping to a manual trans, and continuing to see how fast the little car can go. I'd like to try it out on an autox and maybe Lemons or Chump car, though those are far fetched ideas right now. 

Enough words. Pic or it aint real.

These are from the previous owner, Bob and Chris Ward. 

LonH
LonH New Reader
12/21/18 10:56 p.m.

And here's the car currently and when we picked it up. The remark was made about how screwed up it is to go from Alabama to the Ohio rust belt to buy a car.  There will be more posts, right now the car is in storage. First race is in April, and I want to go over the brakes, change the oil, and give it a once over before then. 

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
12/21/18 11:18 p.m.

A manual would pretty easily put that car on the 118mph speed limter.

Catatafish
Catatafish Reader
12/21/18 11:19 p.m.

Cool!

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
12/21/18 11:40 p.m.

My Neon would go 59mph in 1st gear, 120 should not be a problem.

can you slip a 2.4L in it?

You might be limited by gear ratios available?

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/21/18 11:53 p.m.

What are the class rules?

LonH
LonH New Reader
12/22/18 9:03 a.m.

The sanctioning body I run in is the ECTA, East Coast Timing Association.  I'm currently in G/FSS  translated that means G engine class 93.00 to 122.99 cubic inches. F is fuel, SS is Super Street. Multiple carbs, fuel injection, super chargers, turbos, and nitrous is allowed.Nothing allowed that would make the vehicle illegal for street use.  Car must conform to safety requirements for it's speed. Somewhere I had read that all interior panels have to stay in place, however this car the carpet and seats are gone. I guess what remains is legal. 

I can slip in 2.4, that'd bump me up a engine class, not deal breaker. My thought was to turbo it since the SRT's are turbo'd. I'd really like over time to eventually need a cage, I have a 78 Nova, and a Chevy truck as well, but not totally opposed the idea of a Neon being my lifelong LSR car. 

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
12/22/18 9:20 a.m.

Keep in mind that the SRT-4 engine started its life in a PT Cruiser. Look for them in the junkyards.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
12/22/18 9:20 a.m.

This is cool. What speed requires a cage? 

LonH
LonH New Reader
12/22/18 9:44 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Anything over 135. You have a a little leeway to about 140, I doubt they'd tolerate doing that too many times.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/22/18 12:27 p.m.

Dude, that is awesome! 

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
12/22/18 4:05 p.m.

Look up DennisMotorsports on here, Dave and family have A LOT of expirience racing neons.  Im sure they would have some tips, and maybe parts....smiley

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
12/22/18 4:26 p.m.

LSR is on my bucket list. 

LonH
LonH New Reader
12/22/18 5:35 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost :

Like I was told, find a venue and go for it. It's actually pretty accessible. Hands down being in the LSR community has been the best car experience I've had. Last event this year another ECTA regular from Alabama let me drive his LS'd S10. I set a record in his truck at 139 MPH. 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 New Reader
12/23/18 10:56 a.m.

This might be the best thing ever. 

SRT/PT GT/ Stratus Turbo engine is a 2.4 in the event you didn't know. 

DOHC pistons,  01-04 neon RT/acr cylinder head, Crane 005/18 cam, and a good header will net you a pretty spiffy single cam 2.0 for very little money. If you can go back an engine generation the DOHC 2.0 has much more support. 

NoahWeb
NoahWeb New Reader
12/23/18 3:36 p.m.

Great thread and brings back some memories of my ‘96 SOHC Neon!  I dropped a turbo in that and was seeing 14.1 quarter miles with the 3-speed automatic.  

I believe Modern Performance sells 2.4L swap kits and does have extensive experience in that swap.  Can’t wait to see where this thread goes!

LonH
LonH New Reader
12/23/18 5:26 p.m.

In reply to Byrneon27 :

Thanks for the info, I will be researching this. 

LonH
LonH New Reader
12/23/18 5:28 p.m.

In reply to NoahWeb :

Sounds like the auto will take some abuse. My main reason for wanting to swap, I was told, that leaving it in 2nd or drive had the same effect. I think if I can hold it fourth or third that'll give me some MPH.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
12/24/18 6:53 a.m.

LSR is an incredible experience and the racing community there is like no other.  Mr. Turk helped us out with our efforts.  He is a true steward and ambassador for the sport, and we are indebted to him.  

I was planning on making a return to it this year.  We stopped when the boys went off to college.  Now that they are out (of college) the fever is brewing.

I will be watching this build and hope to meet you some day in Arkansas.     

LonH
LonH New Reader
12/24/18 3:52 p.m.

In reply to wheels777 :

Looks for us in the pits. My racing partner has an enclosed trailer as well as the car trailer. So look for the pits that look like support for a 300 MPH streamliner and not a 100 MPH Neon. I second the comments about Keith, and everyone I've met in LSR. 

Ozzy
Ozzy New Reader
1/2/19 5:55 p.m.

Interesting.  I don't know what your rules allow but the 2nd gen 2.0 HO Magnum engine with the 3.94 manual isn't speed limited like the regular 2nd gen Neons were.  That & if running correctly they will run out pretty quickly.  2001 or 2002 would be ideal though the 01 engine has a hotter cam grind.

artur1808
artur1808 GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/3/19 12:23 p.m.

I'd be a liar if I said I didn't look up land speed racing in my area immediately after seeing this.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap HalfDork
1/3/19 12:29 p.m.

Will be watching. Way to into this. 

LonH
LonH New Reader
1/3/19 6:11 p.m.
artur1808 said:

I'd be a liar if I said I didn't look up land speed racing in my area immediately after seeing this.

There's several standing mile venues in Texas, Loring is in Maine, ECTA in Arkansas, out west the dry lakes, and SCTA. Bound to be something somewhere, and dont forget Wanna Go Fast events. 

LonH
LonH New Reader
1/3/19 6:16 p.m.

In reply to Professor_Brap :

Thanks! Hate it I'm slow to update. However there will be updates soon.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eUhUiD1bGXlWc8WecFZR3BEgY3WIDMia7Q7lWFjBfaY4yTafm8LSAQslXSRyeyJF