1 2 3
NashGTI
NashGTI GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/4/24 7:31 p.m.

Quite possibly the least efficient way possible to do this.  Needless to say there are focused files a plenty in a folder too this is just funny to show off looking like mental vomit.

onemanarmy
onemanarmy Reader
4/5/24 9:09 a.m.

Incredible build!   Thanks for sharing!

in for more!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/5/24 10:16 a.m.

In reply to NashGTI :

That looks like the digital equivalent of a bunch of doodles on a piece of paper :) I like that you were working in general purpose software and not some industry-specific simulation suite.

NashGTI
4/5/24 1:29 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

We even have a big white board with actual doodles for concepts. Like originally drew the concept for the rear pushrods and coil over locations being visible through the diffuser framing the quick change cover. Then worked the math out to make that possible in AutoCad. Then from there a 3D model in Fusion.

My personal car I'm building, which was to be fair a far simpler chassis and suspension, was hand drawn in graph paper.

NashGTI
4/24/24 1:39 p.m.

Been busy with other cars so not much visible progress on the Tahoe until recently. We are still donating a good deal of time on this so periodically it has to be back burnered to keep the lights on.  What has been done now though is work on the air box filter mounting and associated tube work.

This will use a pair of old Ford Super Duty filters. We've used them in projects in the past because they have a good deal of surface area but are relatively easy to package.

The tubing connecting those air boxes to the supercharger inlet is titanium because of course it is. When TiCon says they'll sponsor some titanium tubing for a build it's easy to find uses for it 

The connecting pipe crosses behind the intake for simplicity's sake. You can pick up in these pictures the driver side wheel and control arms are mocked up now too. I've drawn a front and rear spindle to be 3d printed as test pieces before having them CNC cut but we just haven't had the time for that 

Intake stuff done and now waiting on titanium bungs for sensors Jeff moved on to the fuel system. One of the twin tanks being welded here in the foreground.  So twin tanks with in tank pumps mounted behind/under the front seats. They will feed a surge tank with twin pressure pumps.   There will be a cross over line through the driveshaft tunnel and a filler hopefully mounted high on the B pillar drivers side (though I'm so far unconvinced that location will work). Filters and check valves between the pickup pumps and surge tank, then another filter between the fuel rails and surge tank. We've been promised fuel mat from Holley but haven't actually seen it here yet.

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/24/24 7:58 p.m.
NashGTI said:

Light weight racing spindle.

Wheel fitted, I even tacked a couple nuts to a short piece of tubing to make a tie rod adjustment sleeve so we could turn it.

The amount of tire here. It's massive. Like someone balled up a blimp. 

NashGTI
4/25/24 3:31 p.m.
P3PPY said:

The amount of tire here. It's massive. Like someone balled up a blimp. 

I actually would have rather seen a staggered setup in here, at least for the short term.  The truck the owner runs right now has 305s at all four corners and he sees some guys running 335s all around and wants to do the same. None of those vehicles had the weight distribution significantly altered though and just punish their front tires.

It's probably not an issue doing autocross but I do wonder how much understeer will have to be added to make the Tahoe safe at speed in a big track.  There is always the possibility that I'm just overly cautious about that though.

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/25/24 4:01 p.m.

Did the customer have any consideration of driving the front wheels, too?

NashGTI
4/25/24 4:18 p.m.
P3PPY said:

Did the customer have any consideration of driving the front wheels, too?

It was never really discussed, packaging everything has been so crazy anyway that really would have been tough. At some point I need to look back into Nissan GTRs and see how they are layed out.

We did talk a couple years back about doing a crazy all wheel drive F100 powered by a shirt stroke Ford big block. Costs involved derailed that at least for now, probably for good.

Kendall Frederick
Kendall Frederick GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/25/24 5:57 p.m.

I missed seeing this when you previously posted so I'm happy to see it now, this is craziness in the best possible way.  I assume the owner has a liquid cooled checkbook for this build.

NashGTI
4/25/24 8:06 p.m.

In reply to Kendall Frederick :

He is very successful and well regarded with his business, as well as just being a good guy.  We've known him for a few years now and count him as a friend.  Obviously our bills have to be paid so we can't comp everything but we have and will continue to donate some time to this so aside from parts which we don't really have control over it's not going to be as crazy a number as it could be in the end.

jerrysarcastic (dork in training)
jerrysarcastic (dork in training) Reader
4/27/24 12:23 p.m.

Wow I love seeing all the work going into this build.  I'm in for the updates, keep the details coming! \m/

NashGTI
5/3/24 6:49 p.m.

Work done on some plumbing, the PCV catch can and fuel pressure regulator mounted up by the intake manifold and then their associated AN lines.

The plan is to do a removable dog house for access to the back of the engine. So big bulkhead fittings back here to disconnect the fuel lines from the engine rather than having to fish around for connections elsewhere.

Driver's side fuel tank in its home. The tanks will have separate vents but a cross over tube. Each tank holds a little over nine gallons and then have a balance tube between them.  I think I said it already, but each tank will have a lift pump to flow through individual filters and check valves to a surge tank, and then through a third filter up to the fuel rails. 

We may have rear arms mocked up by this time next week. Corey is going to draw on t what's needed for the arm mounting this weekend. I need to get stuff for the rear toe link mounting drawn so we have that. I also need to put time in with the front shock linkage and mounting....time keeps slipping away. 

RadBarchetta
RadBarchetta Reader
5/10/24 11:49 a.m.

Race Brick is a great name, too, but Trackhoe works on multiple levels. I love it!

java230
java230 PowerDork
5/10/24 2:17 p.m.

Oh myheart

Fair
Fair New Reader
5/19/24 2:11 p.m.

Wow, what a crazy project. I dig it! It is totally impractical and functionally useless, but we need these sorts of builds to ispire the lazy and cheap to build cool stuff.

From what I can read between the lines this is a partially subsidized build? Just a heads up - the shop building this will lose money on this build. I've done a number of these "unhinged fabrication" builds for customers, and they all cost me a fortune.

I'm glad somebody still does them, but you won't get to do them forever as the harsh realizties of economics eventually come crashing down. Enjoy it while you can :)

NashGTI
5/20/24 1:21 p.m.

In reply to Fair :

It loses money in the sense that we could be doing other projects for full price.  But we've stuck to the donated time being outside business hours  so we can keep the lights on and still do something crazy with/for a friend.  The other side of that coin too though is the owner of this is pretty much the best advertising department we could ask for.

cheese
cheese New Reader
5/20/24 7:04 p.m.

I know you said it has to look reasonably like a Tahoe, but… Group B box flares. 

NashGTI
5/20/24 7:19 p.m.
cheese said:

I know you said it has to look reasonably like a Tahoe, but… Group B box flares. 

Oh we've been round and round that idea. Me and Corey both want a modern GT40 style wide body. Owner however says no.  He also has specifically vetoed being able to see the cooling fans through the hood venting.

NashGTI
5/30/24 6:21 p.m.

More progress on the Tahoe,  have a rear corner mocked up with upper and lower control arms tacked up and mounts for them tacked in place.  Just enough to cut a big hole in the side and see how it all looks sitting in there.

NashGTI
6/4/24 6:29 p.m.

Other side

Shavarsh
Shavarsh Dork
6/4/24 7:16 p.m.

I don't know how I missed this build! Rock on!

NashGTI
7/11/24 1:52 p.m.

Pull rod mechanism mocked up for the front

I typically avoid anything that directly suggests people go to the shop social media, this is a case though where there is a video on the InfiniteFabWorks Instagram account that shows this much better than the pictures.  So do with that what you may.

NashGTI
7/26/24 1:22 p.m.

Front spindle 3d test print number one. This actually fit right together with only a slight drum sanding of the bearing center bore.  I would really light to move the brake caliper radially out a tenth of an inch for a better pad wipe but just don't see room to do so.  Clearance from the caliper to the wheel is Tight. That's what you get trying to go to a smaller than diameter wheel than the Corvette they came off.

Changes that did get made, thickened the landing for the lower ball joints bolt.  It's three quarters of an inch now and it looks thin so added a half inch.  Opened that bearing center bore five hundredths, definitely want that tight for support but that hopefully will cut out the time it would take for that sanding.

Almost forgot too, beginnings of a toe board/firewall and a very expensive box.

NashGTI
9/23/24 6:24 p.m.

Things have happened in this but mostly nothing overly photogenic.  Work on designs for front and rear fender flares and stuff like bumper brackets and such.  We do have fancy colors on the titanium intake tubing now though.

Plus the CNC place has started working on the bullet aluminum pieces so it should be off the frame table sometime next week hopefully.

Best picture I have there for now.  We are hoping to have this as a roller in time to have it at the upcoming C10 Nationals show here coming up.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CPGJaDAqfvGiZKrGMYWJAwv20vO5LDpdTjQpPSkpF7bEG0h8qqwQaEwfln7HTuac