1 2

This is the place marker for the build thread for what will be my next $2000ish build. Please bear with me as the project is still in it's infancy.

Recently I made a deal with the infamous L Joe Burchett for a 2005 Jaguar XJR. Sight unseen. Knowing it is missing a front clip, had a small fire in the driver's front from what may have been a cigar fire, a brake caliper removed and the battery cables cut. Rumored to run but no promise of being able to drive it made it sound like a perfect waste of $625. 

But I wanted an XR4Ti. 

Low and behold there is a Merkur shell that is available in the spring for the sum of $150. It's crusty, empty and probably not worth it's weight in rust.

I'm all the way up to $775 invested and haven't even touched either car yet. This is starting to sound like a typical Mofo joint. 

The Jaguar will donate the front and rear suspensions, brakes, fuel pump, most cooling bits and 400hp engine. I have sources a transmission from a 3.9L AJV6 as well as a 3.54:1 locking differential from a Lincoln LS that both bolt up to the Jaguar parts. I will have to play around with CV shafts off the differential I believe as well as come up with a clutching mechanism and flywheel for the AJV8 but I have some options. 

The supercharged AJV8 uses a 36-1 crank sensor integrated into the flexplate. Awesome! I want a Holley Terminator to control the engine and that makes it possible. There is no fancy VVT stuff in the engine, so it's squish/bang/blow with proper timing. Worst case saving a few hundred dollars on a Megasquirt might be the budget alternative.

The issue comes back to the flexplate. There is no cheap options. The factory Lincoln clutch uses a common 10 spline 9+ inch disc. What I am thinking is adapting to a button flywheel bolted to the flexplate and maybe trying to match up a heavy duty low cost CiViC type pressure plate (or something closer to the button flywheels diameter. Maybe even using a complete CiViC flywheel as the "button" they are small, cheap, light and available readily. 

Suspension wise brewing up a non air suspension looks like a stop on eBay for a few hundred dollars will bring home a set of coilovers for the X350 body. Adapting the Merkur to accept them should be a weekend with the metal glue gun. 

China flares, a sawzall, either OE Jag wheels or the 18x11s from $h!tbarge on adapters and the plan is vaguely set.

Optimistic expectations is all carsa are gathered by July and work starts after family Vacation.

obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/3/21 12:25 p.m.

This is the good kind of weird. Excited to follow along!

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
3/3/21 12:31 p.m.

This is my kind of shenanigans. 

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/3/21 12:36 p.m.

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Well this should be fun to watch. 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/3/21 1:51 p.m.

Lincoln LS, Jaguar XJR and Merkur that's like the Unholy Trinity of forgotten Ford performance vehicles.  You have my attention.

Well the Lincoln is essentially a Jaguar S-Type and there is a LOT of carryover under the body between the X350 and the S Type. 

The early Lincolns had 8.8" differentials if I come across one it will be getting a 3.73/4.10 gear instead of a 3.54.

twentyover
twentyover GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/3/21 5:07 p.m.
RacetruckRon said:

Lincoln LS, Jaguar XJR and Merkur that's like the Unholy Trinity of forgotten Ford performance vehicles.  You have my attention.

Is that aything like the triangle of poor decisions

:)

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/3/21 5:25 p.m.

berkeley Joe.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
3/3/21 6:17 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

berkeley Joe.

berkeley joe

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/3/21 8:58 p.m.

Can you through some maserati in there just for fun?

twentyover said:
RacetruckRon said:

Is that aything like the triangle of poor decisions

:)

Anyone who has been around me for any amount of time knows that I do not have a Triangle of Bad Decisions, it's usually a single for that just gets larger and larger.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltraDork
3/3/21 9:01 p.m.

This sounds like fun.

Also, berkeley Joe

Edit: I just realized that your plan is missing the T part of the XR4Ti of that equation.  You should fix that.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

When I go Italian I promise that I will, until then it's bastard Ford's for this project.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
3/3/21 9:56 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

This sounds like fun.

Also, berkeley Joe

Edit: I just realized that your plan is missing the T part of the XR4Ti of that equation.  You should fix that.

Big ol honkin T. Maybe two, for good measure. 

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 New Reader
3/4/21 1:40 a.m.

In reply to QuasiMofo (John Brown) Forum Supporter :

Looks like you will be replicating a South African legend from the 1980's, the Sierra XR8. Only 250 were built.

Just a few links to said monster...

https://www.timeslive.co.za/motoring/features/2020-09-11-homegrown-hero-remembering-the-sizzling-ford-sierra-xr8/

And the one mentioned above that went to the UK:

https://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/reviews/buying-article-ford-sierra-xr8

Some specs

https://fastestlaps.com/models/ford-sierra-xr8

And a 9min video of a guy that lives in my town

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=92LGC8_O1is

therealpinto
therealpinto GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/4/21 2:36 a.m.

Yes, sounds like a great plan! A V8 Sierra (OK, XR4) is a nice evilution, I do think.

And yes to flares.

Gustaf

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 New Reader
3/4/21 3:24 a.m.
therealpinto said:

Yes, sounds like a great plan! A V8 Sierra (OK, XR4) is a nice evilution, I do think.

And yes to flares.

Gustaf

Always yes to flares

barefootskater (Shaun) said:
Mr_Asa said:

This sounds like fun.

Also, berkeley Joe

Big ol honkin T. Maybe two, for good measure. 

It has a SUPERTURBOCHARGER. The T is silent but whiny.

In reply to StripesSA1 :

I am very aware of the XR8! And yes in having owned a dozen XR4s I've always wanted a V8 car.

GPz11 (Forum Supporter)
GPz11 (Forum Supporter) Reader
3/4/21 8:24 a.m.

This is my XR8i

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/4/21 11:06 a.m.

The AJ-V6 and AJ-V8 all supposedly have the same bellhousing pattern. The Lincoln LS and S-type had a manual trans option for the V6 which they both share. If you can find a manual donor car, you will have all the parts needed for a 5-speed behind the XJR engine. Not sure how strong it is though, but it would solve the flexplate problem in a roundabout way. 

My only real advice is just keep the Jag ECU and run it stock, to save money, time, and effort on aftermarket ECU and wiring. It's already 395 hp, which is easily the 95th percentile of all Challenge cars ever. Then just spray that bad kitty. Meow!

The Jag ECU puts the car into limp home mode without the transmission inputs. Spoofing has been an issue from what I have read. The bell housing is the same but the flywheel is different, also the AJ6 flywheel is no longer available in OE or aftermarket. There is nobAJ8 manual flywheel aside from a $700 unit from England. Flexplate plus 7.5" button clutch is the same cost so that creates an issue. 

Keeping the automatic and OE ECU looks like smart choice initially.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
3/4/21 11:15 a.m.
GPz11 (Forum Supporter) said:

This is my XR8i

Goodness. That is sexy.

In reply to maschinenbau (I live here) :

Oh there's a $125 nitrous system sitting here.

Literally the only part of the car I possess right now!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eQUXa3WqtNzwAtS3LqqEwtasmG5g6FtOMOT7JGGh2UPOXs2ergWWy6SmcjBfRKI7