1 2
Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
3/4/21 11:24 a.m.

Following.

Shavarsh
Shavarsh Reader
3/4/21 11:45 a.m.

It's worth thinking about the CV axles up front if you need to come up with something custom and you need to make a budget.

In reply to Shavarsh :

Driveshafts will be shortened and combined into a single balanced shaft. The rear shafts are simply a combination of LS/S-Type and X350 shafts from what research has gathered.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/4/21 11:59 a.m.
QuasiMofo (John Brown) Forum Supporter said:

The Jag ECU puts the car into limp home mode without the transmission inputs. Spoofing has been an issue from what I have read. The bell housing is the same but the flywheel is different, also the AJ6 flywheel is no longer available in OE or aftermarket. There is nobAJ8 manual flywheel aside from a $700 unit from England. Flexplate plus 7.5" button clutch is the same cost so that creates an issue. 

Keeping the automatic and OE ECU looks like smart choice initially.

But manuals are just more fun! There's a company offering a plug-n-play ECU for the jag engine letting you use whatever trans you like but it's definitely not challenge budget... I've been poking around trying to spoof the TCM a bit but it's slow work when you're as dumb as I am.

maschinenbau (I live here) said:

The AJ-V6 and AJ-V8 all supposedly have the same bellhousing pattern. The Lincoln LS and S-type had a manual trans option for the V6 which they both share. If you can find a manual donor car, you will have all the parts needed for a 5-speed behind the XJR engine. Not sure how strong it is though, but it would solve the flexplate problem in a roundabout way. 

I was under the impression the aj33/34 v8 cars had a different bellhousing bolt pattern? The only one I saw definitively match was the diesel v6 6speed. That's what I used. But it did require the $700 flexplate adapter.

This is really cool project. I can't wait to see it come together.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/4/21 12:01 p.m.

Placeholder for when you give up and sell me the xr4ti

In reply to iansane :

I understood that the AJ33/34S had the same bellhousing as the V6 and the 2009 and later got a new block and bolt pattern. 

I would appreciate any information on it Ian

Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

But not the JAAAAAG?

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/4/21 12:47 p.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

But not the JAAAAAG?

Nope I'll take the JAAAAG. 

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/4/21 2:06 p.m.

In reply to iansane :

I understood that the AJ33/34S had the same bellhousing as the V6 and the 2009 and later got a new block and bolt pattern. 

I would appreciate any information on it Ian

Everything I've seen says otherwise. I don't know about the newer stuff since mine is an '03. From what I can tell the 5speed gas v6 uses a getrag 221? If that's true, the bolt pattern is definitely different. Looks nothing like the v8. Now, there may be enough bolt holes to use that overlap? That I don't know. The v8 cars use a big round pattern of something close to 17 bolts. It's wild.

Yeah, I think that's right now that I've had a deeper look. 

Looks like I'm just going to Death Kat it and leave it stockish. 

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/4/21 5:14 p.m.

The bad decision triangle is doing our part to make this happen.

I've taken to calling you Michigan folk Mitten Madness due to your strange projects.  I mean.. This..  and a "big block" insight.  Michigan ain't right.

I've been working on a GRM States of America map..  but the new upload is making it look real illegible and wonky.. 

Map fact! Did you know that if you put the flat bottom of Michigan on to Illinois it looks just as crazy as Florida is?

nocones
3/4/21 5:26 p.m.

I massively shrunk the original..  I need help filling in the rest.  I can't keep track of everyones insanity.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/4/21 5:47 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

Right east of Charlotte is Dusterdb13's Shop of OCD detail builds.

therealpinto
therealpinto GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/5/21 12:39 a.m.

How expensive is it to have a custom steel flywheel made in the US?

I had TTV (in the UK) make me a YB Cosworth flywheel but to fit a Pinto crank and although it must have been 10 years ago ISTR it was only around 300 USD or so. Granted, they could probably just use a YB blank and drill another bolt pattern but anyways...

Gustaf

lateline
lateline New Reader
3/5/21 3:00 a.m.
RichardSIA said:

I hope I am misunderstanding your flywheel solution.

"Flexplate plus 7.5" button clutch", sounds to me like the route to failure and a serious injury.

I've never seen a flex-plate made to take the sort of forces a flywheel handles.

I believe he is referring to stacking a steel flywheel just big enough for a 7.25" racing clutch on top of a flexplate. This gives you a lightweight starter ring gear and crank trigger wheel (if applicable) in a nice package. I've made several flywheels like this and if you can live with the drawbacks of a small clutch it is quite startling how responsive even a stock engine can feel.

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/5/21 7:40 a.m.

In reply to nocones :

You should start a new thread on this map. It's hilarous.

The green star is also "Last known location of the Free Lotus Europa"

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/5/21 8:03 a.m.

In reply to nocones :

Just below the right corner on the "Triangle of bad decisions" should be the Hyundai/Kia humpers corner. Although that may "technically" be part of the bad decisions.... 

nocones
3/5/21 8:08 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I'll start a thread on it.  I'm away from the computer with the map so I'll start it later.

I'll add reference to an unusually strong affliction for Korean cars.  That is noteworthy.

RichardSIA said:

I hope I am misunderstanding your flywheel solution.

"Flexplate plus 7.5" button clutch", sounds to me like the route to failure and a serious injury.

I've never seen a flex-plate made to take the sort of forces a flywheel handles.

There are many versions of OE and aftermarket uses where a flexplate is used to mount a flywheel to an engine. Essentially it adds another plate stacked between the crankshaft and the transmission inside the bellhousing. 

Typically the process includes bolting a flywheel to the flex plate using the same bolt flange pattern as the crankshaft with longer, appropriate, bolts as well as a set of bolting points where the typical torque converter would affix to the flex plate. It's simply that no one has developed a flywheel that would do this with the Jaguar AJV8 in a manner that would be readily available in the United States primarily because there are no salvage yard transmissions from the AJ diesel engines brought stateside. 

Looking into what I want to do brings me back to either making a flywheel and now a bellhousing (a lot out of my wheel house) or figuring out how to control the 6hp26 via a Holley Terminator X aftermarket ECU. It's a $1400 option and if I were building a no cost concerned vehicle it would be the easy button.

Ford's 6R80 and GMs 6L80 are both distantly related to the ZF 6HP26. It sounds as if specific programming on the first generation of the 6hp26 is available and the GM 6Ls have been exploited the as well to the point you can even make flappy paddle setups for both. 

I am going to shelf both ideas currently and wait to get the car here, do the necessary wiring repairs and get the Cat moving under its own power. If it passes basic mobility tests then start adapting a cage to it's alloy frame and then chop up the body as a four door kart and driveline test stand. Once that is done then turn back towards the XJR4Ti plan. 

I guess the issue is in trusting the internet when planning these projects. I was day away from grabbing a stick Lincoln LS transmission for $100. 

sobe_death
sobe_death Dork
4/1/21 2:53 a.m.

Just gonna slide right in here...

Don't these engines have the same bellhousing pattern as the Duratec 3.0? I'd think any bellhousing adapter meant for that would be pretty useful...  Seems like some of the Locost guys are using the RX8 gearbox with a modified Jag starter and Mondeo flywheel.  Don't know if that screws with the 36-1 trigger, but it's an avenue...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFwZdnEudkk
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=66&t=1775208

The Duratec 3.0 is a different bell than the AJ34S. Honestly I don't believe it would be hard to build a kit using a complete AJ30 transmission from a Lincoln or a Jag, but it might just be easier to import a Jag diesel or LR diesel bell/transmission.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NDKdNihDxOdSKz8GcZn88Mppxlfi4SJXHIeWbvNtRFilUEL3m7I2noUT0qGAV2p1