1 2 3 4 5
2023BD
2023BD New Reader
4/14/23 2:57 p.m.

That makes sense now. I totally forgot the RS model even existed, boy am I getting old.  smiley

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/14/23 4:15 p.m.

In reply to 2023BD :

It happens to the best of us and me too. Just added up for a Forte group the total number of miles our Korean cars had/have when we sold/traded them. 985k miles on 9 cars, 7 kias 2 hyundais. Highest mileage was the second gen accent with 250k. Lowest was my first gen Forte SX sedan at 70k.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/25/23 8:24 a.m.

OK, 1 month, 1000 miles of ownership. I have determined that this is the car I have been wanting and trying to build since 2002. It's been worth the wait.... she's absolutely perfect. 

2023BD
2023BD New Reader
4/25/23 9:47 a.m.

You could not have said that better.  Trading the Maverick 2.0t for the Forte GT was the BEST thing I ever did. The Forte is everything the Maverick was not. Quality, fit and finish, feel, road manners, fuel economy, sounds, comfort, etc etc. Maverick I bought without ever driving one, learned that lesson but made $6000 over sticker when I traded it.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/25/23 10:16 a.m.

In reply to 2023BD :

I tried for 10 years to make the XD this. Failed. 4 years getting the big block forte here and was super close. Or so I thought. I was wrong. I'm just glad hy/Kia made it for me. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/22/23 6:30 a.m.

Nothing much going on here except I'm not allowed to drive it. Wife has stolen it leaving me her Seltos so I don't have to use my left arm. Did have a friend drop these off:

18x8.5. Plan is to put the 225 ps4 tires on these and run 205/45 winter tire in the stock wheels. Offset is a little shallow and would be an issue if I lowered the car without adding camber but I'm not lowering it anytime soon. They are a "smoked chrome" and I think will look great with the little chrome accents the car has. 

2023BD
2023BD New Reader
5/22/23 9:48 p.m.

Those should look good since you kept the narrow PS4. You will probably want some mudflaps since those are going to just barely be wider then the fenders. What do those weigh? So did those wheels fall in your lap like my wife says everyday when she comes home with a new plant?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/23/23 11:53 a.m.

In reply to 2023BD :

They did actually. Friend/teammate got some sponsorships and these were hella cheap. He bought a Miata and what do you know I have a stack of 15x7.5's and another stack of 205/50/15's that I no longer need. 

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 SuperDork
6/6/23 7:28 a.m.

Did a 5k service including a tire rotation.  Decided the calipers could use a little love. Hit them with some Rustolium Hi-Temp Gloss Black--I've done this before on other cars.  Holds up decently and is easy to touch up when necessary. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/6/23 8:31 a.m.

In reply to FSP_ZX2 :

rustoleum is my go-to caliper paint.

My problem is if I take the caliper off to paint I'm not putting the E36 M3ty stock pads back in there. Good god those things are the worst. 

With the bad wing, the wife has banned me from both fun cars. Until yesterday and today when she needed her Seltos for stuff. She also is getting the reminder of why we got her away from manual trans cars. Her sciatic nerve issue is popping up again while shes been driving it. So I get my car back for a few days, driving mostly one handed. This morning I opened her up a bit to make up time and good god I missed boost so much..... words I swore I'd never say. I was wrong. I am now a worshipper at the house of spoolie bois.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 SuperDork
6/6/23 8:39 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I didn't take 'em off--just a clean and mask job.  Maybe I'll do a respray/touchup when I do pads.  I did all 4 in about an hour on Sunday morning with a pot of coffee and a good Steely Dan playlist.   The black blends into the shadows and gives a quality, understated look--red calipers can be ok--but on this car there is enough red already.  I'm super happy with the results. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/6/23 8:42 a.m.

In reply to FSP_ZX2 :

Ive always done black.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/1/23 5:24 p.m.

Took the forte down to the SCCA time trials to coach for the day. Did the morning lead/follow in the rain. Wrong move. I've been tracking the wrong car. Gearing was spot on, power was always on tap. Brakes still sucked but less so b the rain. A good set of pads and this thing is a sure thing. Stable, strong, sure footed. Steering came above mid corner that I am completely unprepared for in a bone stock Kia/hy. 

thisnis a car that in 5 years you find lightly abused, gut it, turn it up and have a fantastic track car

2023BD
2023BD New Reader
7/1/23 7:19 p.m.

Wait till you throw a 22mm Eibach rear sway bar on it.   smiley

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/25/23 6:45 a.m.

In reply to 2023BD :

No! Car stays stock. 

so back from a few days int eh Dominican and seeing all the Kia's they have down there but not a single turbo forte. Getting home late last night I was greeted by my baby and instantly remembered why I love this car. 

this weekend will be its first oil change. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/8/23 2:49 p.m.

Couple things.... did it's first oil change at 3001 miles. Took way too long one handed. Oil filter was installed with a 1/2" impact I swear. Anyway, with the right filter wrench it's not a big deal. I didn't have that so it was a sucky thing. 

Second thing last friday I left work and headed to Mid-O for the GridLife festival. Went to work because I'm not yet cleared to wear my hybrid-s and risk a crash.... since it's taking way too long to heal already I'm fine with that. Went and hung out with friends I haven't seen all year, some I hadn't seen in a few months. Anyway... This car is a beast. Quite possibly the most comfortable, mild mannered highway car I've ever owned. I set the cruise at 78 mph and was knocking down 38-39 and 40's on the down hill parts of 71. Seats coddled me, apple car play kept me entertained and even used it as my bed for the weekend. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/16/23 9:02 a.m.

Not much going on here... got the windows tinted finally. Ordered a set of cheap snow tires on Amazon and a spare set of TPMS sensors. Should be here this week, in time for me to get the PS4'sput on the new wheels with new sensors, the new snows on the stock wheels with original sensors. Did the first oil change at 3k, about to do #2 this coming weekend likely. 

Took it for a nice drive with the wife this weekend down to Cave City KY. Went the back route avoiding as much interstate as we could. Car is a road trip beast. The dual zone climate and heated seats kept the wife happy and the restof the car made me happy. Coming home we took Indiana 135 up from the Ohio River almost to Indy. That road gets REALLY fun in multiple places and I finally pushed her hard enough to get some roller over on the tires. 

But all good things must be tempered with some not so good. About an hour from home we decided to switch back to the normal FM radio as we were within range again. Pushed "Radio" tab and it thought for a second, the screen blipped and went right back to playing bluetooth. went in throught the nav screen and tried that route. Nada. No XM, no AM and no FM. Bluetooth, Apple CarPlay, maps, navigation all work flawlessly. Just no radio. 

So I called the dealer we use here at the b/s and scheduled it in. I took a video of what it's doing so if it "magically" works for them, I can show them exactly what it was doing.

But overall still over the moon with this thing. The chassis is so capable, the engine so willing, the tires so grippy and the seats to actually hold me in place. 

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 SuperDork
10/16/23 11:54 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

My car did similar on the trip to the Brickyard NASCAR weekend in August.  As we left Danville IL from an overnight the car has ZERO sound output.  We hooked up the bluetooth speaker to have tunes...and made our way to breakfast around Crawfordsville. Left breakfast and all worked normally.  Been OK since.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/16/23 12:01 p.m.

In reply to FSP_ZX2 :

The Service advisor that I scheduled with was confused. What you describe is the one of two ways they normally fail. THe other is the USB plug dies and it will not stream/bluetooth/carplay/AA etc but the radio and XM still work. So this should be interesting since mine is completely different and being a wierdo. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/24/23 11:54 a.m.

Ok. It's almost winter so I finally got the new summer wheels mounted with my PS4's. Ok I also put winter tires on the stock wheels. 

225 Michelins on 8.5" wheels are a bit of a stretch. Sone 235's would look better for sure. 

and finally gave it a bath. 

so for now it's done. I have to remember it's my daily!

May be an image of car

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/1/23 8:11 a.m.

That lasted.... a week. Winter tires back on last night because it was 36* and flurries driving home last night. The $37 eBay TPMS sensors are phenomenal. Switching between the two and not a single light, and they read pressures in 4 miles. 

Audio issues ended up being an update to the unit. They reprogrammed and all is well again. Pretty sure I can do the updates myself with a USB drive for later updates. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
11/1/23 10:13 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

What TPMS sensors did you end up getting? I bought some from RockAuto for my winter setup, and they flat out don't work at all. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/1/23 3:09 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

In reply to bobzilla :

What TPMS sensors did you end up getting? I bought some from RockAuto for my winter setup, and they flat out don't work at all. 

These are the ones. Yes, its all 4. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/10/24 9:38 a.m.

Alright, we are 9 months into ownership and 7500 miles in. Still loving this thing. Wife is enjoying the heated seats a LOT.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
1/10/24 9:56 a.m.

Glad to hear yours is doing well! I'm jealous of your heated seats. You couldn't get them on the 2020-21 GT with a manual trans for some dumb reason. 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Bi5HZtLKf5T6GmpbvTjILSpOqejDmfAduxnrNyeGVaYVMyV8DxSSK3QcGy7lPzhp