swing69
swing69 New Reader
1/26/15 9:01 p.m.

I need to lower the 91 Yugo front end 2" with hopefully stiffer springs on the stock geometry Koni front shocks.

The rear has an extra leaf (3 total) sway bar and Koni shocks...and is plenty stiff.

I have been told that Stock X1/9 rear donor springs will fit if cut down and are stiffer.

Anyone know numbers here? what is a Yugo stock spring rate? what is the X1/9 rear rate? someone a Bayliss told me they were softer than Yugo springs (he suggested I buy coilovers at $1000....yikes)

Thanks....all info helps.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
1/26/15 9:48 p.m.

Sorry Mike I had hoped more people would have answers.

I think the Bayless folks are getting confused. You want to use REAR X1/9 springs on the front of the Yugo since that's where the engine was. So yes front X springs are softer but the rears wouldnt be. You should be able to get an aftermarket set of X lowering springs with a higher rate that will work well.

swing69
swing69 New Reader
1/26/15 9:56 p.m.

Hey Jim. Been scouring the net looking for spring rate info. Nothing on the Yugo, go figure! I haven't found stock x1/9 rate info either! I'll have to look at what I have and what matches up. Need to lower 2" on the red konis, but don't want springs rattling around either. Not sure how to get the all 3 on the konis (lower ride, stiffer springs, no loose springs)

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
1/26/15 10:14 p.m.

IIRC, a set of REAR X19 struts fit the Yugo front end and give a 2" drop. No sure if this is by the springs or if the struts are shorter/spring perches lower.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
1/26/15 10:18 p.m.

Stock springs cut 1.5 coils were not loose under normal and competiton driving. I may have given them a bit of safety wire as a precaution but it was never an issue. Stiffer ones should be even less of an issue.

X1/9 Struts and springs will give the same lowering (without cutting) as the Yugo strut with the cut spring, but its more due to the location of the spring perch on the strut and you have those uber rare Konis which are Yugo spec, not X1/9 spec.

Maybe see if you can get in touch with Scott Phelps, at one time he and his friends were probably doing some of the most advanced stuff possible with Yugos...link to one of his older builds with contact info in the link http://www.mirafiori.com/~courtney/128/scott.html

Dave Benton, aka YugoDave may know the stock rates, he actually worked for Yugo. Haven't talked to him in a few years cant seem to find contact info right off hand but I'll keep looking.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
1/26/15 10:19 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: IIRC, a set of REAR X19 struts fit the Yugo front end and give a 2" drop. No sure if this is by the springs or if the struts are shorter/spring perches lower.

Its a combo of the two and since he actually has Koni Yugo struts he does not want to switch to X1/9 struts

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
1/26/15 10:23 p.m.

Mike, throw Fiat 128s into your search. The Yugo is essentially a progression of that design, you might find better information and options looking at Fiat parts than Yugo parts.

swing69
swing69 New Reader
1/27/15 12:38 p.m.

Definitely using the Koni reds on all corners. 3 leaf rear spring and lowering blocks. I will be welding up the rear control arms to add the spacers and the sway bar tabs. I'm going to try to make the spacers adjustable. I want to keep a 2" drop all around, if possible.

I would be OK with cut stock Yugo springs, IF I can find a heavier front sway bar. The stocker is pretty thin. I'm measure it tomorrow at school. Is there a heavier one available? is it the same as the Fiat 128 - which model?????

Addco list a 7/8 bar for the Fiat 128 SL (#105), and a 3/4 for the Fiat 128 sedan (#189)./ I have the Yugo 5/8 bar (#410) for the rear.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x7uvoPat307KEqkqQvVXkPLUSIjSLR9olid4Pl1HLcW06qWanu3aUAIakOhI7qze