1 2
Jpsbgt
Jpsbgt
9/14/21 10:04 a.m.

Sold new from Sheppard's Imports in Tampa. Reacquired by Joe Sheppard in the early 90's. Joe was a multiple time Sebring class winner. Strong running car.  Built 1798 cc engine with overdrive. Was originally BRG , now OEW from the 80's, over black with white piping. Early steel dash car with original early steel wheels. Heater, Radio Delete. Great original patina$6000.00 firm. Photos to interested individuals...thanks

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
9/14/21 10:07 a.m.

Just post the pictures on here? Its the internet. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/14/21 10:45 a.m.

There was not much special about the specials other than a dealer moniker. Odd to mention the specific engine size when they all came with 1800 cc engines.

Without supporting pictures, the word "patina" flashes in my mind as "Rusty" and in need of a $10k paintjob. 

obsolete
obsolete Reader
9/14/21 11:26 a.m.

Man, tough crowd today. Sounds like it could be a neat car. Yes, please post the pictures so everyone can see them.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/14/21 12:18 p.m.

yeah, I'm always interested in MGBGT photos, but as I already own one I am unlikely to be in a position to buy. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/14/21 12:55 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

I finally unsaddled myself from my last MG after 46 years of them.  6k is about right for a rust free car that does not need much if anything to be driven.  I myself would never pay for patina any more than I would buy pre-torn jeans. 

thashane
thashane GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/14/21 1:32 p.m.

just wait until the kids figure out these are RWD and start drifting them...

russde
russde GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/14/21 4:57 p.m.

In for the pics...and, you know, maybe a current location?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
9/14/21 7:18 p.m.
thashane said:

STFU!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/14/21 7:19 p.m.
thashane said:

LOL

Mine will do it happily and sometimes spontaneously.

Jpsbgt
Jpsbgt New Reader
9/15/21 11:15 a.m.

Yes it's a rwd car fellas. "Special" where only offered late in the 67 model year to assist selling the GT's. The package consisted of a wood rim steering wheel, unique shift knob, racing style exterior mirrors and aluminum fender call outs. I was present when this car was fitted out for delivery at Sheppard's. Google Hemming's lost dealerships/ Sheppard's Imports for additional information on Joe and his racing career. His Maserati 200Si was recently offered at Pebble Beach, no sale at 3.3M. Contact me directly for photos...jackpaulshea@gmail.com

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/15/21 11:47 a.m.

I like how a "provenance" is being established by linking the car to someone who really had nothing to do with the car except sell it originally. It is just an MGB GT and there are no lack of them. Just sold a nice one that did NOT need rust repair or paint  or interior for $6k

OP seems a bit patronizing for this crowd and probably not aware that "Grassroots" suggest that most here buy wholesale not retail. If not an actual canoe, the post is a tippy vessel of some sort.

Keith Tanner
9/15/21 11:58 a.m.

I wouldn't say that we necessarily buy wholesale instead of retail, but it's a pretty knowledgable crowd. We are aware of the basic specs of an MGB GT (or MG B-GT or whatever the correct arrangement is).

I would be interested in knowing more about what was done to the fenders, and of course the level of "patina" is fairly important to anyone looking to buy.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/15/21 12:38 p.m.

I think the fender modification is a badge:

Keith Tanner
9/15/21 1:05 p.m.

Aluminum call outs, yeah. I can see that.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
9/15/21 1:56 p.m.
Jpsbgt said:

Yes it's a rwd car fellas. "Special" where only offered late in the 67 model year to assist selling the GT's. The package consisted of a wood rim steering wheel, unique shift knob, racing style exterior mirrors and aluminum fender call outs. I was present when this car was fitted out for delivery at Sheppard's. Google Hemming's lost dealerships/ Sheppard's Imports for additional information on Joe and his racing career. His Maserati 200Si was recently offered at Pebble Beach, no sale at 3.3M. Contact me directly for photos...jackpaulshea@gmail.com

Post the pictures here, my dude.

SEADave
SEADave Dork
9/15/21 1:59 p.m.

I'd be interested in seeing the "racing style" mirrors that were included with the Special package.  The pale primrose car from BAT has these mounted to the doors on both sides:

Is that what you have?   For 1967 I was expecting Talbot/Bullet-style mirrors.  My '68 GT (sadly unspecial)  has a square mirror mounted to the door on the driver's side and a round mirror mounted to the fender (wing) on the passenger side.   Many have debated over the years whether this was original to the car, I believe it is.  

Keith Tanner
9/15/21 2:55 p.m.

That's the same mirror design that's on my 1972.

My 1969 parts GT had a square mirror on the passenger wing. I don't remember what was on the driver's side, but I'm sure I'd remember bullets so probably another square one as above.

Jpsbgt
Jpsbgt New Reader
9/15/21 4:58 p.m.

Joe owned it for thirty years until I acquired it in 2014. He was a second father to me.How am I patronizing anyone ? If you are interested contact me. The original mirrors where similar to Talbot , often seen on numerous 50/60's British sports cars. NOHOME yes you are a dork. Keith I made no mention of work on fenders ? Robbie I appreciate the Special photo. I will spend the C note and list it on BAT..se ya.

Keith Tanner
9/15/21 5:04 p.m.

I did not understand what was meant by "aluminum fender call outs" until Robbie cleared it up with photos. But that's the fender mention. I'm a fairly function driven person so I was wondering about some sort of venting for airflow through the wheel wells.

Good luck with the sale.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/15/21 5:27 p.m.

In reply to Jpsbgt :

Dude...So happens I am a MEGA dork.  Its written there in the description in case you did not notice. No problems there, proud of it. And you are a car flipper. No problems there either. I just don't think you have anything other than a rusty MGB because  are unwilling to show us otherwise. You could easily show pics if this was on the up and up.   Instead you want people to go to your site so that no peer based feedback is available to the prospective buyer.  Probably why you wont sell it on BAT.  As it so happens, chances are I know these cars better than you ever will. There really is no such thing as a special MGB other than some of the ones that were factory raced. Good luck with your sale.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
9/15/21 5:33 p.m.

POOOOOSSSSTTTTTTT

THEEEEEEEE

PIIIIIICCCCCSSSSS

YOOOOUUUUUU

GOOOOOBBBBEEEERRRRRRR

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/15/21 7:17 p.m.

I feel as if we're starting to approach the "Use the search bar, Noob!"- level here. 

That's not what we want to become. We're better than that. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/15/21 8:27 p.m.

Man, there is some angst in this thread.

My view is that the car is probably legit and being posted by somebody who isn't on the facetubes 30 times a day.

Maybe just cut the o.p some slack?

But also, post pics!

thashane
thashane GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/16/21 12:45 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:
thashane said:

LOL

Mine will do it happily and sometimes spontaneously.

My childhood best friend still has his highschool 74GT patiently waiting for resurrection outside his dads shop.

I think the GTs are gorgeous cars. With more than 70hp, I can't imagine the smiles. I drove it for about 2 weeks in the early 2000's, and every stop somebody had an MG story.

Given the number of 350's swapped into them, you'd think that MGs would be considered the grandfather of LS swaps.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i5hD0rEwMXP1zp4Lwx0X07f5MXbbvKCRewWbiNJmRx7RoVaQI3VOBF9p3xAuMZOz