dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/1/24 8:17 a.m.

I don't want to make this post, but putting it off won't make it any easier. My parents have aged out of being able to drive this, and for the second time in the last couple years it's been run into something. So, it's available as-is and I hope someone here is interested in a project truck.

It's a 1988 C2500 (light 3/4 ton - see Patrick's post below) 2wd regular cab long bed, absolute base-base-base model. Crank windows, like two gauges, 305 v8 and 3-speed (!!) auto trans. The gearing is very low so it can haul a lot but screams on the freeway. It has ~176k miles on it. Starts and runs well, drives like an 80s Chevy truck, and while I don't see any leaks, it probably leaks something and burns other things.

The frame is shockingly rust free. The body looks good but is a bit of a bondo queen. It's got a spray lined bed that's awesome but does have a lot of lumps in it from actual truck usage over the years. I can't tell you how many loads of gravel, topsoil, lumber, and mulch this thing has hauled. Hundreds and hundreds. It has a nice frame hitch receiver and a bumper hitch.

Tail lights *DO NOT WORK*. I have no idea why and haven't looked into it at all. Despite the damage, the hood does latch, unlatch, and open fine. The radiator does not appear to have been damaged. The A/C hasn't worked in a long time. The HVAC fan makes a squeaking noise and should be replaced. There are three different brands of tires all 8-10 years old and the front left has a slash in the sidewall due to the accident. It holds air and I drove it home but I'd replace it before any long drives.

The driver's door won't open all the way due to the fender damage. The windshield is damaged in the bottom driver's side corner. At a minimum it'll need a hood, front bumper, driver's fender, grille, and windshield.

It is at my house in Columbus, OH. It would drive anywhere but you probably should fix the tail lights and tires first. Clean Ohio title in my parent's name; you'll need to exercise a little patience on the title as I'll have to get your info, put it on the title, then get my parent's signature notarized. They live in town so it's not a huge deal but I'm not going to be able to just hand it to you if you come check it out and buy it in the same day.

Photo dump next post. $500 adoption fee.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/1/24 8:21 a.m.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/1/24 8:56 a.m.

Not that is exactly the beater I was looking for, during my job in N E GA, when I was worried about my wife having to walk to work!

(No, I would not have made her drive this - although she has - but would have been fine for me!)

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/24 9:14 a.m.

That's not a 1500, it's a light duty 2500. The 14 bolt rear, 6 lugs, and 3 speed are not 1500 things. It's essentially a 1500 up front with different rotors and a beefier rear spring/axle setup and should be a th400. 

i bought a 1500 with the exact same hit years ago, will be an easy fix to have an amazing beater/parts chaser. Taillights probably need new circuit boards, they all go bad

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/1/24 12:48 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Basically youve said that once the money arrives you'll get your parents involved for their part of selling this truck they rightfully own. 

You can do that in advance. 

Ohio has a Power of Attorney BMV form that once your parents sign (in advance of a sale) you then can quickly complete a future sale with no further involvement from them. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/1/24 1:23 p.m.

@Patrick: Right you are! I'll try to correct things. I knew there was something about it but saw "1500" on the registration so just put 1500 here.

@John: good tip. I'll look into it. Any chance you can change the title to "C2500 light duty" instead of C1500?

@Panther: While this has been very reliable, I would not foist it upon a wife. It is the traditional TRUCK type truck. Very basic, and very loud.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/1/24 3:11 p.m.

I found a junkyard locally with the parts for about $300. They look like they're already white. I doubt I'll have time to do anything about it but I can pass the info along to anyone interested. That's hood, fender, grille, no bumper.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
10/1/24 4:12 p.m.

Dang, if I hadn't just bought two pickups in the last month or so, I'd be all over this.  Still kind of tempting to buy it, and throw a taller rear gear in it.

Patrick
10/1/24 5:37 p.m.

I sent you a message with my number

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/1/24 7:02 p.m.

Back in the day, GM used to refer to the beefed up half ton truck as The Heavy Half.  

Patrick
10/1/24 7:42 p.m.

Time to find some parts....

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/1/24 9:15 p.m.

Depending on a matrix beyond understanding, sometimes a "in between" was a heavy 1/2, sometimes a light 3/4. 
Ferd did the same for a few years...but the light duty body with heavy suspension and an odd ball 7 lug wheel pattern. 
I think GMs 'tweener trucks had the same body at their 1/2 and 3/4 brethren? 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
10/1/24 9:39 p.m.
Patrick said:

Time to find some parts....

Does this mean it's sold ?

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/1/24 9:40 p.m.
dculberson said:

@Panther: While this has been very reliable, I would not foist it upon a wife. It is the traditional TRUCK type truck. Very basic, and very loud.

My wife, in the mid '80s, had just bought about a 3 year old dually, big block, granny 4 speed; hadn't gotten a flatbed on it yet. Had to drive it, to check into a 5star hotel, with her two pre teen kids! The valet couldn't park it... the kids were mortified. 
She still laughs about it! laugh

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/1/24 10:02 p.m.

Yep looks like this is sold! Saving me from myself as I started to look at buying parts and fixing it myself. I should use that energy on what I've already got in my plate. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h5Y2Vugl2heZhCTTqcZd6jVQCOLn8Wg0IOo3PLLIeCPNdzHi0yNGdD99hgqzvYlg