1 2
RedGT
RedGT Dork
7/22/23 10:02 p.m.

2000 Suburban 2500 3/4 ton 4x4 6.0L 189k miles.

Cold AC, hot heat, all of the little stuff works (cruise, windows, sunroof, locks, windows, seats, etc) EXCEPT the power mirrors. And the parking brake seems inop.

It currently runs, drives, stops, etc. I've been towing with it, lots of trips around 1-2 hours each way. It's a good truck if you need a cheap truck to haul with occasionally, thats how we have used it for the past year and it's really good for that.  But it has a handful of quirks and a good bit of rust.

New water pump. Newer brakes and rotors, and brake lines. Newer plugs, wires and coils by the previous owner who was probably chasing the misfire cel....it periodically flashes the cel for a misfire but runs just fine and never sets any codes. This behaviour has persisted for a year and 4000 miles with no change.

It is somewhat rusty, the rockers that always go on these have been repaired in the past. Each wheel well has some rust too. The frame is pretty reasonable, and all the suspension bolts still have threads etc, but the rear upper left shock mount broke off during shock replacement and needs a replacement welded in. Frankly it handles better on ONE new bilstein shock than it did on TWO original ones so i never got around to fixing it. 

New heavy duty hitch (these have a crumple zone in the frame on the SUV chassis so the factory hitch is actually only rated for 5k lbs even tho the truck is rated for 9600 or something...new hitch is rated for 10k+)

Album of pics: https://photos.app.goo.gl/b9F5YMGEQGCKqwsn7

Located in Reading, PA. $2500

I'd drive it anywhere I'd drive any other 23 yr old truck. Most recent 'big' trip was towing 5000 lbs 120 miles to new jersey on that day of absurd 95 degree temps, including hills and traffic with the AC blasting. It did fine.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UberDork
7/22/23 10:55 p.m.

Does it have the 3rd row seat?

Looks like an excellent option if someone needs a cheap hauler to beat on for a few years.

RedGT
RedGT Dork
7/22/23 11:15 p.m.

It does have the 3rd row seat, actually two of them. The original one had the release cables break so it's a bear to get in and out...purchased a clean grey leather replacement one that works great. 

garaithon
garaithon Reader
7/24/23 10:33 p.m.

Man I want this, but have zero need for it! You should have no problem selling this one. 

BlueInGreen - Jon
7/24/23 10:41 p.m.

I'm trying to decide if I have a need for it devil

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/24/23 10:45 p.m.

That looks better than my $3k 2500 Suburban and you have 4x4 on top.  Tell me more about this heavy duty hitch?

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
7/25/23 11:24 a.m.

I have soo much need, I have a 5000 pound camper and a Saab 97x with a 5000 capacity and a 4l60e with a quarter million miles on it (i think we know how that ends) So I need the burb to tow my camper 1350 miles from Alabama back up to VT

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
7/25/23 11:26 a.m.

I just have to get $3k and a way to PA in my hands

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/25/23 11:55 a.m.

Do you have any need or desire for Jaaag?  Wanna trade?

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
7/25/23 2:51 p.m.

If trades are considered, have a black factory 3 liter manual e46 coupe with normal BMW needs (cooling system to drive it) but is a really good car and I have Konis and Eibachs in the trunk.

A 2003 4.2 auto base model f150, great shape, 2wd, AC is cold, leveling kit and tires makes it look like a 4x4 though because you can't tell a 18 yr old anything. 

And an 08 KLR 650 that needs tires and a title from VT where I bought it.  Not impossible but I don't have it

RedGT
RedGT Dork
7/25/23 4:38 p.m.
Stampie said:

That looks better than my $3k 2500 Suburban and you have 4x4 on top.  Tell me more about this heavy duty hitch?

I think i covered the main points, it is a Draw-Tite 41930 and bridges the crumple zone in the frame by mounting at the stock location and also about 2 ft further forward. Resulting capacity is 10k plain, 12k weight distributed. Of course the truck capacity is only 9600 iirc.

RedGT
RedGT Dork
7/25/23 4:47 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Unfortunately (for us both?) there is a SuperV8 in the garage that i should probably get running one of these months.

RedGT
RedGT Dork
7/27/23 10:58 a.m.

BlueInGreen - Jon
7/27/23 11:50 a.m.

Put me next in line if it falls through?

Hope a good sale works out though

RedGT
RedGT Dork
7/27/23 1:29 p.m.

That was quick, turns out it is STILL AVAILABLE.  This guy didn't have the spousal permission that he thought he did.

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
7/27/23 3:58 p.m.

Know anybody that needs a 100% rust free pick up?  I'd drive this to PA and drive the Burb home.

v6/auto/AC/rwd

RedGT
RedGT Dork
7/27/23 4:06 p.m.

I would possibly consider that trade...but since you mention being from alabama and the rust free f150, you've seen northeast rust before right?  Looked at the pics in the album? I don't want you to get here and be surprised by the rust.

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
7/27/23 7:40 p.m.

I've spent most of the last 4 years in NY, NH, VT, IL and Michigan.  Yes sir, I'm aware of how bad it can be, but other than welding a new shock mount back on its all sheet metal, right?

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
7/27/23 7:42 p.m.

I've also done lots of welding at work and home.  If you're interested I can give you my 334 cell 202 number to text for pics and details.  Last 4 are 6275, I'm Jim

BlueInGreen - Jon
7/27/23 8:40 p.m.

In reply to RedGT :

I sent you a pm. Interested, but will defer to Justjim.

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
7/28/23 2:18 p.m.

If you swap with me I'll name it and start a build thread.

And vow to never leave a roof top tent on  year round?

old_
old_ HalfDork
7/28/23 6:28 p.m.
Stampie said:

Common problem on these. The OEM hitch mounts to the very back of the frame rails. If you tow heavy with the OEM hitch the frame will commonly bend down at the hitch mounting points. Fix is an aftermarket HD hitch that mounts further down the frame to distribute the load. 

BlueInGreen - Jon
7/29/23 1:52 p.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon said:

In reply to RedGT :

I sent you a pm. Interested, but will defer to Justjim.

Replied to the reply you sent Thursday night. Let me know if it didn't go through and I'll try texting.

RedGT
RedGT Dork
7/31/23 9:46 a.m.

I got it.  Busy long weekend and neglected this.  Will reply in a bit.

RedGT
RedGT Dork
8/9/23 11:09 a.m.

Let's say $2500 for a 2500 for GRM.  Took it to a local body/frame place for evaluation and they wanted $800 all in to fix the shock mount area of the frame as well as a little bit under two body mounts (the mounts themselves are fine) and called it really solid for a PA truck.  I'd rather not put more money into a truck I already replaced, will probably wait til plow truck season and see if it sells better to the general public then.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4ZMgR2SttxhpXV50QXXXH2EngnZEx6owqxbco7bjBXPiv2zKvyWjSS6lTNljP0m6