BoulderG
BoulderG Reader
10/19/23 6:46 p.m.

As Doug Demuro might say: "THIS... is probably a very bad decision..."

https://denver.craigslist.org/for/d/aurora-1974-detomaso-pantera/7676727928.html

"1974 DeTomaso Pantera. It has the perfect stance and looks fast, sleek, and exotic! A few custom mods have been done including metal widebody fender flairs. It also has front hood cooling vents, one of a kind custom headlights, extra front air dam that can be put on if you like that look. All of which can be put back to factory original fairly easily if desired. Comes with fatty aluminum wheels all the way around. This is was a factory yellow car.

The car comes with tons of parts but no trans. Short block Cleveland was rebuilt with 0 miles but has been sitting for several years.

Of all of the vehicles I've seen on Craigslist through the years, I've never seen a Pantera so here's your one and only chance to get one of these. I do not have to sell it and I know what it's worth so if you don't have the money don't waste your time or mine.
$52,500"

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
10/19/23 8:14 p.m.

I thought you were joking surprise

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UberDork
10/19/23 9:19 p.m.

Cool.

Although I'm not sure his "one of a kind custom headlights" are actually a selling point.

Mrfurzzy
Mrfurzzy Reader
10/19/23 9:26 p.m.

"Of all of the vehicles I've seen on Craigslist through the years, I've never seen a Pantera so here's your one and only chance to get one of these"

I wonder if he is aware that you can sell a car someplace other than craigslist.

chandler
chandler MegaDork
10/19/23 9:26 p.m.

Geez, is that worth 50k? I bought most of one out of a junk yard in NY off eBay in 1999 or 2000 for $1100 (I think) and sold it for $2200 a year later. Dang...

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UberDork
10/19/23 10:10 p.m.

I'm pretty sure a good driver is a 6 figure car at this point. Not sure what that means for the value of a rough project though.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
10/19/23 10:30 p.m.

At that price, it is definitely a bad idea.  It'll probably sell though,

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
10/19/23 10:40 p.m.

Isn't that trans a key component you don't want to source?  What do those cost?

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
10/20/23 8:50 a.m.

In reply to Datsun240ZGuy :

Yeah, you're right. Over $10K for a good one. And you might have to ship it from France. 

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/20/23 9:20 a.m.

145K car in top condition, #4 fair condition is 51K according to Hagerty, so he is in the ballpark but not with his "improvements". Really has to reverse it back "easily" to stock condition and then represent it as restoration project and probably will get close to that but it needs to be complete with a transaxle. Quick search shows the ZF 5 speeds are an $8K item so he needs to rethink his asking price or find the stock pieces.

Grecobeemer
Grecobeemer New Reader
10/20/23 4:15 p.m.

"I know what it's worth"

^my litmus test whether to walk away or not.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/20/23 6:01 p.m.

The problem with stuff that's that rare and in that bad of shape is after everything........it's better to just buy a better example 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/20/23 6:21 p.m.

ALL of the body panels need replaced or repaired since they have been modified. No transmission. Can't imagine much if any of the brightwork is usable or there.    Pretty sure all of the suspension and brakes are wallered. So what exactly are you getting for your money; a serial number?

Grecobeemer
Grecobeemer New Reader
10/22/23 8:15 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

And a money pit. It will cost 2-3x the amount of just buying one, trying to restore it.

Grecobeemer
Grecobeemer New Reader
10/22/23 8:15 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

And a money pit. It will cost 2-3x trying to restore it.

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
10/22/23 9:00 a.m.

Pantera was my dream car... too much money for one...I bought a Europa .....

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/22/23 9:16 a.m.
Grecobeemer said:

"I know what it's worth"

^my litmus test whether to walk away or not.

Quotes like this, "RARE" and "COLLECTIBLE" are how I stop reading ads. Regardless of the actual value of the item in question, if it's a good buy, or if it's an item I want- the seller is going to be a basket of snakes I just don't want to deal with. 

Kendall Frederick
Kendall Frederick GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/22/23 2:25 p.m.

I just looked at a Pantera this week -- it's a running, driving car with reasonable paint and interior.  Has some upgrades and small modifications, some small flaws and things to fix.

Owner is asking $85k and I'm considering it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ohpREHUKf218q8RwiJTRu3xqJZpgD4XXxcJslcgGDa88CdLXTOgnI1oadJrDgljc