1 2
jpnovak
jpnovak New Reader
3/12/14 9:31 a.m.

Its time to sell my Dirty Penny. Penny was built on a 1975 Porsche 914 chassis. The chassis was found under a local oak tree as a roller. The car was originally built with a complete Subaru drivetrain for the GRM $2011 Challenge. The car spun a few bearings and has since received a new engine. It has also received new parts (mostly suspension) that currently put it over in terms of overall budget. It could be configured to compete in a Challenge event. We can discuss this if you are a serious buyer.

You can read all about the build here.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...e++dirty++penny.

Penny is currently configured with the following.

DRIVETRAIN: ej20R twin turbo engine. Megasquirt ECU in factory case with factory wiring. Currently tuned at 18psi. Boost comes on late due to the TT setup. These are not currently setup sequential - but in parallel.
Subaru transmission with hydraulic clutch Nissan Versa shift console for incredible ergonomics driving cable shift.

SUSPENSION: 180# rear springs on Koni shocks 22mm Front torsions on 911 Carrera Boge dampers. front bushings were replaced with polygraphite (turned in a lathe - no squeaks)

Kuhmo V700 tires 205-50-15 on 15x6 Rivearas. They could probably be balanced.

MISC STUFF: Chassis rust was fixed by butt welded sheet metal.
Chassis has Engman Kit installed. Interior painted with gray anti-skid paint and partial covered with gray Perlon. Driver's seat is carbon fiber GT3 replica Passenger seat is stock.

No radio.
Factory tach driven by MS ECU.
Speedometer is actually a bicycle speedometer.

Have a spare EJ20G engine, spare case, crank and rods. This has JDM single turbo setup complete with non-tumble intake, IC and all piping.

Also have front struts from 1970 911 including a-arms, struts, hubs, vented brakes and M calipers to complete 5 bolt conversion. Also have rear early 911 hubs for same rear 5 bolt conversion. Have 15x7 Cookie Cutter wheels to complete conversion. s

Transmission just started making a noise. Probably the infamous 5th gear input shaft bearing. It is very slight and does not affect drive ability. Could last for a while.
New flywheel nose and release bearings.

The car is fast at high rpm but will drive very docile around town. It can spin cold tires in third under boost.

Asking $4500. Car is located in Austin, TX. I can help with loading if you want to ship. I would consider to tow it somewhere within a days drive if you pay for gas.

I am going to kick myself for posting this but with a potential move its just gotta happen.

jpnovak
jpnovak New Reader
3/12/14 9:34 a.m.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
3/12/14 10:48 a.m.

Wow, what kind of horsepowers are you making?

jpnovak
jpnovak New Reader
3/12/14 11:00 a.m.

Currently tuned at 18psi with a manual boost controller. I would guess about 300. It has a Megasquirt-2 ECU mounted in the factory case. Easy to adjust.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
3/12/14 12:00 p.m.

want

jpnovak
jpnovak New Reader
3/12/14 5:49 p.m.

I just fixed some of my picture links and added a few more.

So, close to 300HP. 1910#. It goes quick. Gearing is pretty short since these tires are considerably smaller than a stock Subaru. Don't expect top speed. Do expect a lot of fun getting to the top speed.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
3/12/14 6:33 p.m.

I want this, lots. But, I'd be in serious trouble if I did.

Sil80redtop
Sil80redtop Reader
3/12/14 10:13 p.m.

How many years did you leave the challenge stickers on?

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose HalfDork
3/12/14 11:01 p.m.

/fapfapfap
Why is it always Texas that has things that temp me to fly down?
Couldn't it be Oregon for a change?

Very cool, GLWS!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/12/14 11:42 p.m.

Dang it, so much want.

jpnovak
jpnovak New Reader
3/13/14 9:04 a.m.

They stayed on for about 3 years. I drove it around all stickered up. Once I started to crank up the boost I decided this attracted too much attention and pulled them off.

The TX sun is really hard on old paint. I have not had a chance to wetsand and polish out the Ghosting.

Sil80redtop wrote: How many years did you leave the challenge stickers on?
nderwater
nderwater UberDork
3/13/14 10:29 a.m.

I smile every time I think about this car. What's it like to drive?

calteg
calteg Reader
3/13/14 10:48 a.m.

Love the execution, hate the looks of the 914. Still a smoking deal for someone

Jeff
Jeff SuperDork
3/13/14 12:38 p.m.

I sent you a PM. Austin's a great town, so coming down to get it would not be a hardship at all. And would get a trip in to Salt lick and Green Mesquite.

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
3/13/14 2:35 p.m.

Glad to see it's alive, sorry to see it never did get to compete in the $20xx...I was really curious to see how it would do! Seems like a really fun car, I've always had a soft spot for 914s and the Subie powerplant is an obvious improvement.

Good luck with the sale, you shouldn't have any problem selling this!

Bryce

Conquest351
Conquest351 UltraDork
3/13/14 4:43 p.m.

Austin is 1.5 - 2 hrs from me if anyone wants to give me an excuse, I mean wants me to go check this out. LOL

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
3/13/14 5:54 p.m.

This is really cool...AND I'm flying to Austin next week. Jeff buy it, so I can just stop thinking about it.

Jeff
Jeff SuperDork
3/14/14 10:55 p.m.

In reply to Cotton:

I'm working on it !

Jeff
Jeff SuperDork
3/18/14 11:38 a.m.

Cotton, I'm out. Next?

TC
TC New Reader
3/23/14 9:33 p.m.

Oh man do I want this...need to save up some money first though :(

jpnovak
jpnovak New Reader
3/24/14 12:11 a.m.

Yes, Jeff found a great car local. Still looking to move this out. Let's see if we can work out a deal. Can make a package price for the car and all the spares.

Running great. Been using it as my DD for the past week.

dan0
dan0 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/25/14 7:11 a.m.

Getting some exposure... http://jalopnik.com/for-5-000-a-penny-for-your-thoughts-1550361655

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
3/25/14 9:10 a.m.

I'm already back from Austin and won't be back for several months. I imagine this will be sold by then....especially after hitting jalopnik.

jpnovak
jpnovak Reader
3/25/14 10:41 a.m.

I think my inbox was full this mornings with that link. Fun!

I had another car that made it to Jalopnik. I can't say that it increased inquiries. Interesting poll results so far. Almost equally split of like it or not. I admit this car took 2 years of build with lots of thought. It started as a challenge car but had more in mind rather than just cobbled together parts for a budget competition.

Cotton, Were you here for SXSW?

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
3/25/14 2:26 p.m.

In reply to jpnovak:

No, I came in right after SXSW for work. I flew in Monday and flew out Wednesday, so had very little time to do anything fun like check out cool cars.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
D1x25VwLhSoTabfPqHQftSAgoWmdXeqsLgWHsOhdJwuWx2mCPhqo9wFp4xwCgCfz