bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/22/18 7:28 p.m.

Time has come to pass on probably one of the most well known NC Miatas out there, Atomic Betty. I'm in the process of making it a 10/10 car for the bring a trailer crowd but I wanted to offer it here first as I'd rather see her in the hands of an enthusiast who will drive her vs. someone who will just let it sit but I'm not against taking their money. So while I work on the little details, I'll post it up here for a price of $36,000 firm for a GRMer and will probably go to BAT come March. 

Facts: 

2009 Mazda Miata PRHT GT

Current Location: Colorado Spring, CO

Salvage Title. The car was a salvage from I believe North Dakota before FM got their hands on it. It had about 9500 miles on it and the current speedometer has just over 25600 miles on it for a total of just over 35K miles on here. 

Here is the original build thread: https://www.flyinmiata.com/V8/NC/index.php?UID=1 It shows some of the before pictures. You would never guess it was wrecked. No pulling, no alignment issues. It was well repaired.

Featured in R&T, Automobile, GRM twice, Classic Motorsports, and Top Speed. I have copies of all of the articles that will go with the car. 

Contact information: 

Michael dot L dot Booth at Gmail Dot Com

5 one 2 Three 8 Three 65 eight 7

I'll start with the bad: 

Front bumper has stone chips in it. It's been driven and not sitting in a garage.

The fuse is pulled on the heated seats. The harness connector for the passenger's heater element is broken and it doesn't seat tight so the seat either is on full blast and doesn't turn off or doesn't come on at all. Wasn't a big deal for me in Texas so I never worried about it. 

The car is tuned for sea level. It's not super happy being back at 7100 FT. If it were going to stay at altitude I'd get it re-tuned. It does have HP tuner installed so it's not an issue. 

There are a few dings in the body. Nothing PDR can't fix but it would need to be done. I will probably do that if it goes to BAT. 

Things I'm doing to it now: 

Top to bottom detailing. The car again has been used so it's a little dirty but I'm cleaning that up. 

Replacing the under hood fuse block covers. Both got cracked. 

Replacing the brake cooling hose. It got tore up bad. 

Things changed since the build thread:

FM Fox suspension added. It's the sport spring set. 

Windows tinted at 35% with 3M film. 

6UL 17X8 wheels with fresh Conti ECS in 245/40/17

Body color roll bar covers. 

T56 Magnum Transmission installed at 25K on the chassis. 

New Melling oil pump. Plenty of oil pressure at all times. 

Replaced AL Voodoo shift knob with a polyurethane Voodoo Shift Knob. 

6 Piston Front/4 piston rear Wilwood calipers. 

Tuned for sea level. 408HP 391 Ft LB torque. Super flat curve. No peaks or valleys

New PC925 battery. 

Have spare set of Wilwood BP-20 brake pads 

Couple of Pics. I've got many many more I can send. 

Dave M
Dave M Reader
12/23/18 5:26 a.m.

Your pics aren't showing up FYI.

Also good luck! That's a very cool car.

bmw88rider
12/23/18 8:53 a.m.

Thanks Dave. I tried a different way of posting the pictures so hopefully it works now. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
12/23/18 9:02 a.m.

Looks great! GLWS.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/23/18 9:03 a.m.

Pictures are working for me FWIW.

Good luck with the sale, that’s a cool car. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/23/18 9:11 a.m.

If my wife loves me she will buy this for me for my birthday. 

bmw88rider
12/23/18 9:40 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

If my wife loves me she will buy this for me for my birthday. 

I can put a bow on it and deliver it to Minneapolis. I'm there for work all of the time. 

One thing to note, she does have the FM sway bar kit on it but only the front is connected. The rear is mounted on the car but the end links are not connected. The car is so neutral with it disconnected that I left the end links off. 

Also, for those who are wondering, the weight is just under 2800 LBs. The front license plate is mounted into the front recovery hook spot so no holes have been drilled into the bumper to mount it. So those lucky souls with only a front plate, It'll come off clean. 

bmw88rider
12/23/18 11:03 p.m.

Oh and no issues passing ODB2 emissions testing. The only place you'd have issues would be California. It passed TX emissions without an issue. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/26/18 9:55 p.m.

Atomic Betty is a really, really good car. Possibly the best GT we've ever built.

The Fox suspension works best with no rear sway bar - we went to a (relatively) high spring rate on the rear and I think it's part of why it works so well, but that extra rear roll stiffness means a slightly less than traditional sway combo.

Actually, Betty was one of the development cars for that suspension. Which means she's running a set of custom-valved, hand-built shocks specifically tuned for her. I mean, it's the same one you can buy off the shelf at FM, but those other cars are really just using Betty's shocks.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
12/27/18 8:59 p.m.

Damn!  Just a skosh outside my budget.  Need a kidney?  Or a teenager?  I have extras of both......

Beardy
Beardy
1/6/19 8:24 p.m.

You have email

bmw88rider
6/9/19 5:08 p.m.

So, Finally sold. :) She is going to the east coast the over the 4th of July weekend. The hills of PA will be rumbling with the sound of a LS3 miata here soon.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
6/9/19 5:19 p.m.

Staying in the GRM family?

bmw88rider
6/9/19 10:16 p.m.

Not that I'm aware of but he is a miata fein so I'll make sure to direct him here. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ljwA9DnXvkXeit56HGdjr8rjc9NuRUUWyuYMD8dAwzWbOH4hftxRrAzxHbcETlLv