1 2
Mazdax605
Mazdax605 PowerDork
2/15/23 11:43 a.m.

Hello all. I haven't been on here in quite a while, but I'm back. My 16 year old son is looking for his first car, and wants something fun, and manual. He keeps looking for turbo 300ZX's,  Mitsubishi 3000GT's, and FC RX-7's. All cool cars, but some are a nightmare to work on, and or too powerful in my opinion. I'd be much happier with the non-turbo versions of these cars, as he'll be a new driver, and the NA versions of these cars are plenty to get yourself in trouble anyway. He really likes RWD, probably because it's what he's been around with my collection his whole life. I'm okay with the RWD, but I don't need him in a 300hp car. We have a project FB RX-7, but it's going to be a long term project, and he's hoping to have his license in 6 months. As a dad I want him in something safe, and slow. I've always had slow cars, and have had tons of fun, so I think this is a good recipe, especially for a young driver. If you have something that fits this description or know of one let me know please. 

Chris

ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
2/15/23 11:57 a.m.

I am not  sure on your budget but what about a S550 Mustang with the EcoBoost 4-cylinder or an older V6 Muatang or Camaro? A Civic SI could work too if you can talk him into a FWD car. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
2/15/23 12:04 p.m.

Miata, maybe prefering the NC version?

MrStickShift
MrStickShift Reader
2/15/23 12:08 p.m.

WRX if you can talk him into AWD. There 230 HP, and amazing in the snow! I have an 05, and my dad has a 06.

clownkiller
clownkiller Dork
2/15/23 12:21 p.m.
clownkiller
clownkiller Dork
2/15/23 12:24 p.m.

My daughter's first car was a 2011 Vicky.  We put mustang wheels on it and a backup camera.  It was safe, rwd, v8 and had a trunk. 2,500$ all in ftw

128racecar
128racecar Reader
2/15/23 12:39 p.m.

You should have jumped on SKJSS's Acura Integra he had listed recently. That was a nice car for the money for a young driver.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/15/23 12:49 p.m.

They are hard to find, but I bought a BMW 128i 6-speed for my son. I love the car!

Something like this one: https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rjpRgdVN/2009-bmw-128i-coupe?utm_source=pd&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=e

chiquito1228
chiquito1228 Reader
2/15/23 1:09 p.m.

Miata there slow but really fun to drive. Or an e30 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
2/15/23 2:53 p.m.

Midsize Something with door airbags , stick shift so less texting ,  not black or real dark color , 

Something safe that can be seen by the other drivers....

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/15/23 3:20 p.m.

Don't do what I did and get some base Honda Civic.  For once make your kid the envy of the school......LOL. 

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/cars-sale/944-ls-13500-nmna/238923/page1/

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/15/23 3:36 p.m.

I put all of my kids in cars with the expectation that they would wreck them. I'm 3 for 4 so far. 4 kids, 4 cars, 3 crashes. None of them major luckily. Just kid stuff like sliding into a curb and snapping both wheels off or being rear-ended in traffic. 

It doesn't need to be fun. It needs to be durable, crash-worthy, cheap, and replaceable. The best of the bunch was a P71 Crown Vic. Fun enough to autocross, durable enough to rallycross, and able to take a hit and keep trucking. 

Don't put them in an old Miata. That's not enough sheet metal to keep a kid safe in this day of SUVs and cell phone drivers. They get run over by a modern truck with predictable and devastating results. This was local to me. F150 vs Miata. 

One dead, another injured following multi-vehicle accident on Sam Rittenberg

clownkiller
clownkiller Dork
2/15/23 3:57 p.m.

My daughter got rear ended twice in Vicky.  She was really disappointed in the lack of power the replacement civic had in comparison 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/15/23 4:05 p.m.

Neon. If you can find one.

johndej
johndej SuperDork
2/15/23 4:09 p.m.

Got a budget?

The not really exotic answer for <$5k or so should be able to find something about as old has he is (=modern safety features) manual along the lines of:

FWD - Mazda 2/3, Honda Fit/Civic, Acura TSX, Mini Cooper, Ford Fiesta/Focus, VW Golf/GTI

RWD - Mazda Miata/RX8, Ford Mustang, Chevy Camaro,  BMW 3 series, Nissan 350Z

None should have much over 200 HP (non v8 option). For the antique ones you mentioned, going to depend a lot more on the specific car and what he likes. Those are all ~30 year old cars now.

chiquito1228
chiquito1228 Reader
2/15/23 5:19 p.m.

Crown vics are really good cars. But in the city we live thats not relly a good choice of a car for a teenager, especially a young man. You will get target and classified by the wrong people. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
2/15/23 5:30 p.m.

Honda fit or Mazda 2. If he really wants RWD I would say a late 80s or early 90s Volvo as they are very easy to work on and aren't too fast as a first car. Getting harder to find parts for them.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
2/15/23 6:16 p.m.

I'd consider a Fiesta ST.  He won't know it's not actually terribly fast because it is loads of fun to drive.  The only downside is that they only come with manuals.  Wait, that's a plus.  Yes, it's FWD, but doesn't understeer like it is.  Plus it's safe for a small hatchback.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/15/23 6:24 p.m.
chiquito1228 said:

Crown vics are really good cars. But in the city we live thats not relly a good choice of a car for a teenager, especially a young man. You will get target and classified by the wrong people. 

He's 16. He's going to berkeley it up. That's what they do. Wasting time finding a "cool car" is just wasted time. Stop being the buddy and be the parent. "This is what you get. When you earn the money to buy something nicer good for you. "

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/15/23 9:34 p.m.

My old '01 Mustang GT (5spd) might be available again soon. Original owner was my friend, he bought it new and took it to 271k, I had it for 7 years and took it to 307k, sold it to the original owner's son in law, and now the original owner has it again. I can check with him if you're interested. He's located in Ellington, CT.

jabos7
jabos7 New Reader
2/18/23 4:57 p.m.

You just can't find a classic Vista Cruiser when you need one......

EriktheAwful
EriktheAwful New Reader
2/19/23 8:51 p.m.

I had two rules for cars for my kids.

1) No V8s. My oldest ruined that for everyone else.

2) There had to be a steady supply at Pull-A-Part.

V6 Mustangs are great first cars. They're thick at Pull-A-Part, they're not terribly fast, but they're stylish enough that your kid will take pride in it. One of my kids had a "new edge" SN95. He passed it on to someone else, and as far as I know, the car's still running. The S197s have been showing up at PAP for a couple years now, and the supply of SN95s is slowing. The S197s also had a pretty solid reliability - I've daily'ed a 2006 Mustang GT for fifteen years now, and it's been almost Toyota Camry in its reliability.

Four cylinder Altimas are cheap turds, but get one with an automatic instead of a CVT. The parts supply is incredible and cheap. I'd avoid the V6 Altimas because torque steer + teenage stupidity.

Stay away from Volkswagen/Audi/Porsche products. My daughter, who was very responsible, had a Beetle TDI. It was a fantastic driving car, but utterly craptacular. Everything kept breaking on it, and everything required special sockets. After performing a crapload of maintenance and fixes, I sold that car at a loss and was absolutely happy to do so.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/20/23 12:09 a.m.
bobzilla said:
chiquito1228 said:

He's 16. He's going to berkeley it up. That's what they do. Wasting time finding a "cool car" is just wasted time. Stop being the buddy and be the parent. "This is what you get. When you earn the money to buy something nicer good for you. "

multiple others hit on this but Bob is being brass tax blunt about it and Bob is right. 

We were all 16 and we know what 16 year olds do. 

he needs to be in something safe and reliable. those should be the first things on your brain if you want him to see his 18th birthday. 

There's always a non zero chance that a teenager gets killed or injured in something safe and reliable. 

BUT, the moment you put horsepower and RWD under the right foot of a teenager? that's a recipe for disaster and the chances of serious injuries and big insurance claims goes through THE ROOF.

speaking of insurance, the moment you put a "fun high HP RWD car" on your insurance.. THEY'RE GONNA FREAK, and your premium is gonna go wayyyy up, if they find out you're gonna put a teenager behind the wheel, oh I can't even imagine.  

Put him in the newest midsize car you can with a manual transmission if you want it to be a bit more fun.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/20/23 2:39 a.m.
jabos7 said:

You just can't find a classic Vista Cruiser when you need one......

Better than a Vista Cruiser, the OP has a JDM Mitsubishi wagon with a Vista Cruiser style "glass bubble" roof. 

That then reminds me, can you have him take his driving exam in a rhd car?  The car is road legal. Is it legal to take the driving exam in rhd?  Oh, how I yhink it would freak out the instructor! 

With no mention of rhd, I envision the confusion (and fear) begins with both driver and passenger heading to the right side door.smiley

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
2/20/23 7:24 a.m.

I like the crown vic idea. They have a lot of room for stupid freinds though. 

My suggestion is a 4cyl, 5 speed truck or car.  Not enough power to get into too much trouble and it teaches you how to be "fast" in a slow car. Reading traffic, picking lanes, thinking ahead. Not just wackin the throttle and going. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JTqzInHZJD2gkYuAJ4aqpdxCSE6ExrDCCBWTdP86GzGnIgifmGeeq0WxQcPfGPyH