Evanuel9
Evanuel9 New Reader
4/6/22 12:47 a.m.
128racecar
128racecar Reader
4/6/22 7:54 a.m.

Actually, this is pretty cool. My late father owned a speed shop in the 60s-70s, and was a dealer for Crown, which was the first V8 conversion for Corvair. The one his shop built for a customer was quite the rocket. I've not seen one in decades. This obviously requires a LOT of finishing, but would be a unique hot rod when done. 

Some background: https://www.v8registry.com/history.html

Marc in Indy

Add: Looks like this car has been for sale for a while: https://v8registryforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=654

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
4/6/22 8:25 a.m.

Gotta look past a lot of ugly to see the beauty in this pic

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/6/22 8:36 a.m.

That's wondeful, and if i were in a position to acquire more project i would grab it 

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/6/22 9:43 a.m.

Is that the radiator right above the exhaust??

Looks like a fun ride when restored.

128racecar
128racecar Reader
4/6/22 10:32 a.m.

As I clean up my 72 Corvette in anticipation of listing it for sale, I find this part of the ad intriguing: How much more sellable would this car appear if the seller spent 5 minutes removing the garbage strew about in the interior picture? 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/6/22 10:35 a.m.

I dig it. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/6/22 10:35 a.m.
NOHOME said:

Gotta look past a lot of ugly to see the beauty in this pic

This is why you don't keep your pet raccoon in your project car. 

Trent
Trent PowerDork
4/6/22 11:29 a.m.

Why am I astonished that the interior photo doesn't have a 4 spoke Grant Challenger steering wheel in it?

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/6/22 11:47 a.m.

A chevy 350 v8 powered mid-engine Corvair raced in the A Sports Racing class at the 1973(?) Runoffs at Road Atlanta (sponsored by Dante's Down Under in Underground Atlanta) .  James Reeve raced against competition like McLaren Can-Am cars.  We stood along the fence cheering madly for the underdog.  Near the end he ran out of brakes and smacked the turn 12 wall.  

Excuse me for showing my extreme age.

Evanuel9
Evanuel9 New Reader
4/6/22 5:35 p.m.

In reply to 128racecar :

Oh yeah I agree. It looks awesome just different. Isn't there a guy doing a version of this with Vette internals on this forum or was that one front engined?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
4/6/22 5:49 p.m.
Evanuel9 said:

In reply to 128racecar :

Oh yeah I agree. It looks awesome just different. Isn't there a guy doing a version of this with Vette internals on this forum or was that one front engined?

Kinda.  Angry is doing a Chevy small block with (if I remember right) an Audi transaxle.  There is also Darth Nader which Stampie has and its basically a Corvair on top of Corvette drivetrain and suspension

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
4/9/22 7:04 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Well, he is using a LT 1, so that's sorta a SBC... and all SBC engines are "corvette motors" as identified by the sellers, so...

randyracer
randyracer New Reader
4/9/22 1:56 p.m.

In reply to Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) :

Great memory, Frog, I remember James Reeve, I think in Renault Cup a few years later.   But wait, run out of brakes in Turn 12?  You don't brake for Turn 12.  Maybe some other trauma.  There is a very well-prepped mid-engined 'Vair running vintage at Rd Atlanta last I saw, and even a first-gen Corvair with the real air-cooled Chevy six!  My heroes for sure.  I did an autocross fun-run in a 2nd gen Vair in about 1979, and it was glorious, thanks Bernie Long.  Well-prepped also.  Drifty fun!

DLCustom
DLCustom New Reader
4/9/22 6:07 p.m.

This has been on there 2yrs. I know I need something mid engine and light. This or the basket case 914 close by. This really does have the look

XLR99 (Forum Supporter)
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/9/22 6:32 p.m.

In reply to 128racecar :

Very cool, my dad built up a Corv8 around 69-70 with a mechanical injected 350. 

Evanuel9 said:

In reply to 128racecar :

Isn't there a guy doing a version of this with Vette internals on this forum?

Yep

MonZora part 1

MonZora Part 2

And I competed in a 66 with a Crown conversion in the 2003 and 2004 challenges:

Evanuel9
Evanuel9 New Reader
4/10/22 2:16 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

now that is cool!!!!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zPPyzBrLrA7nmqZzGvqcx8YSzD57BsgEu0GsP8RoONNut7EPTHI37fkp6gbgrG4l