paddygarcia
paddygarcia GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/7/19 8:57 a.m.

I bought the 1988 turbo S in 2001 as a tool to learn how to actually drive, having just totaled a really nice 993. With an Automotion chipset and the turbo S goodness of big brakes and a limited-slip diff it was quite speedy and reliable - track day prep is not much more than checking the fluids. 

As I learned to go faster, the usual upgrades appeared: PF97s, R compounds (RA-1s), Redline bar, camber plates, and double-adjustable Konis, and great fun was had. A reseal turned into an engine rebuild and after pouring more into the motor than the car had cost (that's the 944 story!), it became a mostly-street-legal track car. The odometer gear broke at some point during this time, so I don't know the total mileage on the rebuild but it's not more than 20k.

By 2011 I'd gotten beyond the street suspension and upgraded to a '44 cup recipe: 400lb front springs, 31mm hollow torsion bars, 968 M030 sway bars, and a square set of 16x8 phone dials.

Maybe I shouldn't have done that, I don't know - the car was now faster than me and I ended up swiping a tire barrier at Summit Point. The results were ugly but didn't tweak the chassis, just the bodywork. That was about the end of my track days and the car's been in the garage since and rarely driven.

I recently did a service: changed the engine oil & filter (Mobil 1 and Mahle always), flushed the brakes and clutch system (ATE 200), changed transaxle fluid (Swepco 201), plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and air filter. The car starts and runs nicely.

TL;DR:

Good: Chipped turbo S, <20k on Tom Stewart rebuild, F 400 lb + double-adjustable konis + camber plates, R 31mm hollow t-bars + koni, F&R 968 M030 bars, 16x8 phone dials, full Autopower cage, cat delete.
Bad: Rust-through in battery box. LH rear quarter bunged. Tach, odometer, fuel gauge not working. Probably due for a timing belt.
Ugly: Driver's door and front fender. Dash cracked. Old RA1s.

With a little attention this winter you'll be set for a year of fun - come take a look, we can put the car on the lift for a look underneath. We can talk about offers and trades for street cars, motorcycles, tools, and probably other stuff. 540-454-5384 or ejd@devinney.com

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
9/7/19 10:54 a.m.

Do you have a ballpark price in mind?

Any idea of car weight and horsepower?

paddygarcia
9/7/19 11:17 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

Ooops, sorry I missed on the price. Looking for $7500, mostly based on parting-out value.

I haven't done any lightening other than removing the interior, but then added back in a cage so weight's probably close to stock, ~2900lb. It showed 245hp on a chassis dyno, which is the same as the factory crank hp rating, so I guess the chip's adding about the same 15% hp as the drivetrain loses - figure 290 at the crank or so. It's sprightly :-)

Adelphie2
Adelphie2 New Reader
9/8/19 7:11 a.m.

Is this price negotiable or fiexd you are looking for? Interested to get some more details. 

paddygarcia
9/8/19 8:07 a.m.

Price is negotiable, trades are welcome. 

dps214
dps214 Reader
9/10/19 12:10 p.m.
paddygarcia said:

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

Ooops, sorry I missed on the price. Looking for $7500, mostly based on parting-out value.

I haven't done any lightening other than removing the interior, but then added back in a cage so weight's probably close to stock, ~2900lb. It showed 245hp on a chassis dyno, which is the same as the factory crank hp rating, so I guess the chip's adding about the same 15% hp as the drivetrain loses - figure 290 at the crank or so. It's sprightly :-)

Just FYI, the car is probably lighter than you think. The interior is HEAVY in these things. We weighed 500lbs removed though some stuff had to go back in (seats, steering wheel, etc). Ours had a bit more lightweighting (doors gutted, no door glass, no dash, no headlights) but an overbuilt chumpcar cage and it needed the stock 50lb passenger seat and a 3/4 tank of fuel to make 2700lb when we ended up autocrossing it. I wouldn't be surprised if yours is well under 2800.

paddygarcia
9/13/19 12:32 p.m.

I'm trying to avoid parting this car but if you're interested in the motor let me know...

paddygarcia
9/18/19 11:10 a.m.

Sold locally

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3xHgZvubiXR9yhujnkL9KPr7mMHpfsiXmqHyIkciwGpq0Vu8oYu3yaHjVDuC7Wlv