Thats gonna go quick.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/22/21 1:18 p.m.

wow

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/22/21 1:45 p.m.

White with dark windows makes for a striking silhouette. 

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/22/21 10:56 p.m.

I'd love to see an alternate timeline without Bangle's influence 

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
11/23/21 7:57 a.m.

ooohhhh I really like that. Can't be all that many left that are this clean..

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
11/23/21 8:31 a.m.

No roof rails and on a set of M Parallels and that would really complete the look.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/23/21 9:18 a.m.

Out of mt toy price range, but I'm about a 1/2 hour away if anyone needs me to go have a look-see.

Stan

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/23/21 11:25 a.m.

I had one of these. You think you want one, but you probably don't.

golfduke
golfduke Dork
11/23/21 11:27 a.m.

Man, I already bought an Alpine white E39 in Ohio, but this is another tempting one... :/

maisgelb
maisgelb GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/23/21 11:38 a.m.

If the ad is correct, it's less than a mile from my house. Could put eyes on it if needed.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/23/21 1:31 p.m.

In reply to maisgelb :

Isn't this the part of Ohio where Dave Chapelle lives? 

Is his house some extreme property or is something more modest fitting in the area? 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/23/21 1:36 p.m.
pointofdeparture said:

Its posts like these that keep me in check when stuff like this comes up.

maisgelb
maisgelb GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/23/21 1:43 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Yes, he has a place on the edge of town. Not too extravagant, considering. You do notice the house when they light the place up at night.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/23/21 2:38 p.m.
maisgelb said:

If the ad is correct, it's less than a mile from my house. Could put eyes on it if needed.

Dang we're close. I'm in Enon (backwards spells "none").

;)

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
11/23/21 3:56 p.m.
pointofdeparture said:

Friend of mine had an E34 525 auto.  It was a sluggish turd, but ran forever and was extremely utilitarian. I'm sure the 5 speed peps it up a bit, but probably still leans more towards "economy" than "sporty" .

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/23/21 4:01 p.m.

Sadly I think it leans more toward "slow" than either of those.

Its rated at 20mpg combined and slower than a Nissan Versa

Still cool.  I want one, but am scared of 20 year old BMW problems

volvoclearinghouse
11/23/21 10:00 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

In fairness, a 1977 Lincoln gets 8 miles to the gallon combined and is slower than a Nissan Versa.  But to your other point, it can at least be fixed by banging on it with an adjustable wrench. 

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/24/21 8:14 a.m.

No interior shots of the cargo area? Isn't that the point of this unicorn? Or is it really scary back there?

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/24/21 9:51 a.m.

Yeah, it looks pretty good. A 325 is pretty slow so I can't imagine how slow a 5-series would be with the 2.5l lump. That said, a 3.5 would drop right into that baby...

P3PPY
11/25/21 9:41 a.m.

Should I be likewise talked out of this very nice looking 2003 325XI Touring?

$3500 in Grand Rapids area

pointofdeparture
11/25/21 1:21 p.m.

In reply to P3PPY :

The E46 wagons are a much nicer drive (and a better car in general, IMO) than the E39s, but I wouldn't mess with that high-mile rusty automatic example that looks like it was crashed. That has "trouble" written all over it.

IIRC most of the E46s used a problematic ZF transmission that commonly loses reverse among other issues.

P3PPY
11/25/21 9:05 p.m.

I mean no sarcasm here, so take this at face value: your standards for cars make me laugh -- the fact that you call that particular car rusty, wrecked, and high miles. I live in Michigan and I'm looking for a car around $4k. You're definitely making me second guess it, I'll give you that. Esp when I read other posts about "get an E91..." but then I read about the probs with those and just say "forget it" about BMWs period =P

pointofdeparture
11/25/21 10:59 p.m.

In reply to P3PPY :

You jest, but I owned about a dozen late-model BMWs in my time in Wisconsin, and I quickly learned how to pick out the cars that aren't worth my time:

• These cars don't really rust, so when the ad says "has rust" you know it's worse than average
  • AC leaks and a bunch of stuff broken behind the bumper/trim screams "sloppily repaired wreck"
  • At 184k it is due for the asking price in preventative maintenance, and they say the front end shakes, so you know they're already probably behind
  • It's an automatic, which means there's not really anything special or desirable about it

That car is just a $3500 station wagon that needs a bunch of work and has a BMW badge. With any German car you need to shop based on the previous owner's care and maintenance, and this one is full of red flags. But if you want the miserable experience of owning a neglected BMW, have at it, some lessons are learned the hard way smiley

volvoclearinghouse
11/26/21 7:59 a.m.

I owned a wrecked BMW once, and have never owned another vehicle to wear the dreaded roundel on the front hood since.  

And mine was a 1971, so it was far simpler than modern ones. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UCGjjrknXb8ZbynCJ6MfLtc9wNGUUVrV8Z1VifgOV3R7pgYsXGZyvgM1MmEce17c