Storz
Storz Dork
1/6/14 5:58 a.m.

wow

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/4273635845.html

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
1/6/14 7:07 a.m.

holy wow. I'd love to throw about $5,000 at that to see if he'd bite, but I have a feeling it's going to take a good bit more. I think I'd make it mechanically sound and make the interior livable while leaving as much of the rest as possible.

Graefin10
Graefin10 SuperDork
1/6/14 7:31 a.m.
ultraclyde wrote: holy wow. I'd love to throw about $5,000 at that to see if he'd bite, but I have a feeling it's going to take a good bit more. I think I'd make it mechanically sound and make the interior livable while leaving as much of the rest as possible.

SOLD!

No really, I'd try $500, sell that lump, SBC, block sand w/mat clear, best tires I could find for those wheels. Challenge, here I come. RATJAG! Well I would if I were in the market for a Ratjag, but I'm not.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
1/6/14 8:43 a.m.

I guess that's why I never have $5000 to throw at those guys... Poor judgement!

But seriously, a one owner V12 in rough but restorable condition might really be that cheap? Like challenge cheap? Maybe I COULD own one some day.... I bet a stockish iron v8 in one would be fun, drivable, and easy.

Sil80redtop
Sil80redtop Reader
1/6/14 11:22 a.m.

Hadn't been registered since 90. I wonder what it went for?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
1/7/14 10:36 a.m.

That's the ugliest E-type ever made. But is that a manual transmission?

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition HalfDork
1/7/14 10:41 a.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: It's a 2+2, those are the least valuable ones. You'd be upside down really fast

The absolutely least valuable ones are the 2+2 with the autotragic. At least that one is a manual transmission. Your second comment still holds, though.

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
1/8/14 1:20 p.m.

I'd love to have that and fix it just enough to drive as a beater. if it were closer to me I'd take a look.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/8/14 2:10 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: It's a 2+2, those are the least valuable ones. You'd be upside down really fast

I think all V12s coupes were 2+2s.

OhioMark
OhioMark New Reader
1/8/14 2:26 p.m.

You'll spend a $40K restoration on a car that's worth $20-25K when you're finished!

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
1/10/14 8:03 a.m.

"Running when last garaged. "

When was that? 20 years ago?

If the seller gets Challenge money for it, he should count himself lucky. Either way, it's hard to give a value estimate without seeling how much rust repair is involved.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/10/14 10:12 a.m.

It is a 2 plus 2 and the telephone booth looking cabin kills the looks and the value. BUT......the 2 plus 2 is the one that you cut apart to make a roadster out of so there is that...

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/10/14 10:21 a.m.

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
1/10/14 10:36 a.m.
bearmtnmartin wrote: It is a 2 plus 2 and the telephone booth looking cabin kills the looks and the value. BUT......the 2 plus 2 is the one that you cut apart to make a roadster out of so there is that...

I'm not a convertible guy, so I would prefer the coupe. On something like that I don't care about value if I can get it cheap enough. That thing is an engine swap and some TLC away from being a killer beater. I'd happily give him challenge money if it were closer and I could actually take a peak in person.

Edit: Gah...I'm debating calling the guy. If it's cheap enough I'd just have it shipped, but damn if I need another project.

Have any of you guys called to see what kind of money he's trying to get out of it?

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
1/10/14 11:53 a.m.

Cotton, I wholeheartedly support you in that decision.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/11/14 3:10 p.m.

ad appears to have been edited. "now taking offers over $18,500."

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
1/11/14 4:47 p.m.

That has to be a misprint... one too many 0's...

ronbros
ronbros Reader
1/11/14 6:15 p.m.

HEY guys the 1st thing you should know about any Jaguar V12 car is when you change the engine to a V8 or 6 it reduces value about 40-50%!

check the charisma of any V12 powered vehicle, its all about the talk and some about the walk.

and E-types have become true classics, some more than others.

i was at a show few weeks back and this E-type roadster was there with the hood up, so my friend had his 5yr old son with him, the boy said DAD it looks like a FROG from the front, everyone laughed BUT the owner!! lol.

" beauty is in the eye of the beholder "

beauty is just a concept,, anyway

Murphy
Murphy New Reader
1/12/14 7:56 p.m.

This will blow your minds 10 bids, reserve not met....

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
1/12/14 9:35 p.m.

Wtf......

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
1/13/14 10:06 a.m.
Murphy wrote: This will blow your minds 10 bids, reserve not met....

WTF indeed... left outside to rust... and set on fire...

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/13/14 6:09 p.m.

I guess that is what an E type vin plate is worth then.

madhatter
madhatter None
1/15/14 10:46 a.m.

You guys talking about this being an engine swap away from being a ratty beater are forgetting the electronics, the inboard brakes, the steering and suspension that's undoubtedly bad, and the replacement costs of anything you can't re-engineer yourself.

My FIL has a 74 v12 convertible. It's got brandy-new reman heads, NOS pistons, rods, a refinished crank, and still has run fewer than 30 minutes total since I have known him. (~20 years) Rat hole into which he pours money.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ig3yCcEwwfmyDzR0c2FIDPHPvnrgkNVCnsdpOrsdE0lHzAwy8Z1Aa5Nr7WyZ87vx