1 2 3
gunner (Forum Supporter)
gunner (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/1/20 9:14 a.m.

I just finished reading the complete article.  My next car purchase without a doubt is going to have to be Miata.

Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
11/1/20 10:16 a.m.
gunner (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Cactus :

I found it at Barnes and Noble bookstore but ymmv if theres not a big dedicated bookstore near you.

Evidently I'm on the end of town where nobody reads, the closest actual book store is (probably at the airport, but I'm not going there) like 25 mins each way. I'm very curious to read this because I own an E28 M5. (And 3 other E28s).

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
11/1/20 10:43 a.m.

In reply to gunner (Forum Supporter) :

I don't fit in miatas.  Having driven a few I don't understand the hero worship of them.

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/1/20 11:23 a.m.
Cactus said:

In reply to Cactus :

I found it at Barnes and Noble bookstore but ymmv if theres not a big dedicated bookstore near you.

Evidently I'm on the end of town where nobody reads, the closest actual book store is (probably at the airport, but I'm not going there) like 25 mins each way. I'm very curious to read this because I own an E28 M5. (And 3 other E28s).

Here in Florida the supermarkets have a magazine rack. Maybe they have the same where you are?

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/1/20 11:52 a.m.
docwyte said:

I don't fit in miatas.  Having driven a few I don't understand the hero worship of them.

I can fit in Miatas and other than the ND, I don't think they're all that. I've yet to drive a v8 Miata and I doubt anyone would let me drive there's and I don't blame them. 

gunner (Forum Supporter)
11/1/20 8:31 p.m.

I really need to drive a miata. Just before I found out my wife was pregnant in 1999 I drove a couple NB's one six speed and one five speed. the five speed seemed way more fun to drive but once I found out we were pregers I stuck with a four door.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/2/20 7:42 a.m.
yupididit said:
docwyte said:

I can fit in Miatas and other than the ND, I don't think they're all that. I've yet to drive a v8 Miata and I doubt anyone would let me drive there's and I don't blame them. 

I think if you drove my MSM (fully sorted, track ready but street capable, with FM built motor, brakes and suspension), you might get a better understanding of why we worship them. Stock, they are nice handling but underwhelming cars, but they are the perfect canvas for building a giant killer. We have a 91 NA, very slow and all stock but fun for what it is. My NC had suspension upgrades and was a really fun car for the money. The MSM is over the top. I was not a believer for way too long, but now kick myself for  not having gotten one sooner.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
11/2/20 8:27 a.m.
Cactus said:

In reply to pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) :

Where does one buy a road and track in 2020 without subscribing?

Barnes and Noble or possibly Wallymart.  

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
11/2/20 8:33 a.m.

In reply to dherr (Forum Supporter) :

For a short time I had a 95 M edition that had the entire FM catalog on it.  Turbo kit, butterfly braces, suspension, etc.  It was interesting but nothing special, and I still didn't fit in it.  It didn't grab me enough to do the work it needed and attempt to work around the fact that I didn't fit in it, so I sold it to a fellow GRMer.

pez222
pez222 New Reader
11/3/20 7:00 a.m.

Good luck.  I just bought my NB from Cars & Bids and took delivery last weekend.  They do a fairly good job of following through on every part of the transaction.  GLWS!

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/3/20 8:04 a.m.

I've driven various levels of modded and turbo miatas. Yes they're fun and tight but I just don't see it to justify the level of worship. Just like I don't understand the crown vic panther platform worship here. indecision

Now the 987 Cayman S whew, probably the best sports car I've driven. My friend had a 4.0 987 Cayman S and that's the most perfect car ever. I was going to buy it but couldn't afford it at the time because of a divorce. crying

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/3/20 1:19 p.m.
I think the "worship" is because they provide an inexpensive canvas that can be built to perform at a very high level for very little cost. Not too many cars as cheap as a Miata that can be modified to perform at a similar level as a much more exotic cars such as  Cayman S. I have driven a Ferarri 430 Scuderia on a track and it was amazing. But my $15K MSM is probably just as fast.

yupididit said:

I've driven various levels of modded and turbo miatas. Yes they're fun and tight but I just don't see it to justify the level of worship. Just like I don't understand the crown vic panther platform worship here. indecision

Now the 987 Cayman S whew, probably the best sports car I've driven. My friend had a 4.0 987 Cayman S and that's the most perfect car ever. I was going to buy it but couldn't afford it at the time because of a divorce. crying

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
11/3/20 1:26 p.m.

I really need to drive a miata. Just before I found out my wife was pregnant in 1999 I drove a couple NB's one six speed and one five speed. the five speed seemed way more fun to drive but once I found out we were pregers I stuck with a four door.

Funny the day we found out we were pregnant, bought my wife a 2010 PRHT GT. She drove it all through pregnancy, and we had it another 15 months, with a baby seat in it. After that, we traded it for a 4 seater convertible, and wife has had that with the two kiddos. 

gunner (Forum Supporter)
11/3/20 7:11 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

At the time I was convinced that a small 4 door sedan was what was needed to haul a baby around.  I know better than that now and I am not worried about having a miata as an only car with an 11 year old child and wife in the house since we can take her forester if we all need to go together

gunner (Forum Supporter)
11/5/20 6:56 a.m.

The auction ends at 3:10 central today, I was originally told 3:50 est originally, but that is not the case.

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
11/5/20 7:13 a.m.

Such a cool car. A real bucket list car for me. My influence was back in 95 with my 90 Miata, my local autox had a guy with one. It was sort of rough and I think a salvage rebuild. At the time, it was just sort of an old (7yr old) high mile example...but it was cool to me! 

I predict north of $15k but south of $22k

I hope I'm wrong at it goes higher for ya! 

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
11/5/20 8:30 a.m.

Thanks guys! It's live.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KPdzO50o/1988-bmw-m5

When I wrote $15k to $22k the bidding was only at $12.5k.  Now it is at $15k.  

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/5/20 8:35 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) :

And multiple bidders.  Hopefully a good sign. 

gunner (Forum Supporter)
11/5/20 9:26 a.m.

Pip pill over there throwing shade. berkeley that guy.

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/5/20 10:31 a.m.

Gunner, please do not take this comment the wrong way but you should delete your reply to pip pill if you can. 

You need to have a thick skin to sell on those websites and avoid engaging in what can be construed as a negative way. If I did not know you from here and was bidding your reply would probably not come across the right way to me. 

I think if you want to address his comment a better way would be to point out the car is 32 years old and has had several owners, and that at some point the car was just an old car. Just point out that you provided pictures that showed all flaws in order for bidders to be able to properly asses the car from far away and that's it. 

Again, please don't take this negatively. Just trying to help. 

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/5/20 10:51 a.m.

When I had my E28 I had dreams of tracking down a sun-beaten, rust free, cheap US E28M5 somewhere in the desert, painting it Alpine White and doing the interior in Taurus Red like my car was... I think the way prices are with these, finding a cheap one ain'tafunnahappen. I think having one that's not Black/Tan in the US would be so cool. 

Yours looks nice. I hope there's some healthy bidding into the end of the auction!

gunner (Forum Supporter)
11/5/20 12:37 p.m.

In reply to Slippery (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah. You're right. I was trying to point out what you stated with fewer words but more zing because it was a troll comment in my opinion.  I posted those pics up deliberately trying to show everything, it has obviously been lifted exactly the same way before.

gunner (Forum Supporter)
11/5/20 12:37 p.m.

In reply to AxeHealey :

Thanks!

gunner (Forum Supporter)
11/5/20 12:43 p.m.

I can't figure out how to edit or delete it. I'm having to work today so I'm not having the time I was hoping to in case I needed to answer questions and stuff and I guess my frustration with it is going to be out there for all to see. It will probably affect my final total.

gunner (Forum Supporter)
11/5/20 1:35 p.m.

Thank you for the comment in the auction.  I appreciate that.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0TweR3UIVIlZpP2dgjp0qnP0HEtyfOFXdWbLW1H3Vm29o7VZtdNygruAII41QSYo