Ironsides
Ironsides Reader
6/22/20 12:19 p.m.

- Located in Taunton MA - 

About a month ago, a good friend of mine moved half way across the country and in a pinch needed to clear out a garage which housed this 1979 Datsun 280zx Lemons car. I took the car home with hopes to collaborate with some work friends and get the car back out to an event later this year. Unfortunately interest has fizzled and the garage in which it currently resides needs a roof and some other repairs which necessitate me parting ways. 

I do not know a ton about the car but do have a fairly comprehensive google doc compiled by my friend and the prior owner of the car. 

Cliff notes: 

• Oil cooler and aluminum radiator
  • SU carbs
  • Large fuel cell
  • Z31 front brakes (‘83-‘89 300ZX) (Diy 5 lug conversion on all 4 corners)
  • Cool shirt
  • Lemons legal cage (second harness bar added in 2017 to accommodate taller drivers) 
  • OMP seat

The car was last raced at Thompson in 2017 where it sheared a rear hub. The hub has since been replaced but needs to have the  new rotor redrilled and installed along with a new caliper (Parts included in sale) 

The car also needs fluids, a rear pinion seal, an up to date harness, and a fire suppression system (as of 2018 Lemons rules)

Body is pretty hammered but typical for a veteran lemons chassis

Included in the sale is an entire storage unit worth of parts including but not limited to:

• 2 spare long blocks and several extra cylinder heads 
  • 3 spare gearboxes
  • extra carb and fuel injection setups
  • doors, hatch, dash, fenders, hood, windshield
  • x4 5gal fuel jugs 
  • Boxes + boxes of misc spares like alternators, starters, gaskets etc. 
  • Extra rear subframes, control arms, sway bars, steering racks 
  • Everything must go with the car

Plenty of bits to recoup if deemed unnecessary. The car will drive onto a trailer and starts and idles pretty well. 

The asking price is $2000 for everything

Anyways, on to the pictures: 

In its past racing glory: 

Some of the parts stash that will go with the car: 

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
6/23/20 2:05 a.m.

I have essentially less than "0" knowledge of class racing. was hoping to go to $2020 challenge, but covid stopped that; so I'll ask a uninformed question here. From what little I've read, lemons requires a entry in the race to cost less than $500. How would a guy that has never raced, get $2400 down to $500, and have any parts left to race with? Not that I'd be doing it, just trying to understand.

Ironsides
Ironsides Reader
6/23/20 8:03 a.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

Since safety gear and consumables is not counted towards your $500 car budget, buying a car like the one I am selling is still within rules. For example, consider a proper cage job and seat and fuel cell would cost you ~$2000, you are now within budget with a $400 car wink

drock25too
drock25too GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/23/20 9:28 a.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

Trust me,  no one is running a $500 car at Champcar.  LeMons ,maybe?

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
6/23/20 6:39 p.m.
Ironsides said:

In reply to 03Panther :

Since safety gear and consumables is not counted towards your $500 car budget, buying a car like the one I am selling is still within rules. For example, consider a proper cage job and seat and fuel cell would cost you ~$2000, you are now within budget with a $400 car wink

Thanks for the reply. Do I understand that if someone paid the 2400, they could deduct the cage, ect, 2000, I assume, as fair market value?

128racecar
128racecar Reader
6/23/20 7:19 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

That's the idea. LeMons doesn't count certain components such as brakes, cage, belts, etc as part of their budget. Also, after each race, they assign your car a residual value, which allows you to add pieces. Fast Miata? Residual value probably won't change much. Something weird like my friend's 1st Gen Civic? Pretty generous drop in value, which allows for upgrades in the car.

This is an outstanding value to get into wheel-to-wheel racing. I've posted on my VSCDA vintage racing FB page as a low buck way to get on the track and have some fun. In an experienced driver's hands, this could be easily mid pack in our Group 8 cars (Datsuns, BMWs, MGBs, Alfas, etc).

Marc in Indy

Brotus7
Brotus7 HalfDork
6/23/20 8:21 p.m.

I built this car. Yup, small world.

I'd love to buy it back, but life is pretty complicated lately.

I'm more than happy to share any build details.

Ironsides
Ironsides Reader
6/24/20 7:27 a.m.
Brotus7 said:

I built this car. Yup, small world.

I'd love to buy it back, but life is pretty complicated lately.

I'm more than happy to share any build details.

Very small! I'm sure something could be worked out if interested, Brent mentioned before he left that working in a seat at an upcoming lemons race could be worked into the selling price. 

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi HalfDork
6/24/20 11:05 a.m.

What kind of remote mount oil filter and cooler is that?

Ironsides
Ironsides Reader
6/30/20 1:48 p.m.
mikeatrpi said:

What kind of remote mount oil filter and cooler is that?

Not sure to be honest. 

Open to offers as well :)

Brotus7
Brotus7 HalfDork
6/30/20 8:17 p.m.

Re:oil filter housing

I think it was a Moroso, but equivalent to this guy: https://www.jegs.com/i/Derale/259/15707/10002/-1?gclid=CjwKCAjwxev3BRBBEiwAiB_PWG9spscIpkr3rQKMPhwNXqiNWLCr7dOhQEgU7PMj_KM0jUc31xLbVBoCfkAQAvD_BwE

Oil cooler, at least when we built it, was a swap meet jobber.

Still tempted, but I'd have to get rid of a Europa first.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/30/20 8:29 p.m.

In reply to Brotus7 :

Funny I know a guy that might like to have an Europa.  Want to PM me?

Ironsides
Ironsides Reader
7/25/20 6:48 a.m.

Friendly bump, adjusted the price, would really like this to move to a new home soon!

Ironsides
Ironsides Reader
9/13/20 8:50 a.m.

I somehow still have this, had a few parties interested that fell through due to lack of space. 

If it sits long enough it will eventually work itself into the queue and i'll bring it to turn key status. 

Ironsides
Ironsides Reader
10/31/20 8:15 a.m.

Sold! 

ChrisZ32
ChrisZ32 New Reader
11/1/20 8:44 a.m.

Love the old Z cars! So much potential with this one.

I hope it gets the attention it needs soon.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
11/2/20 11:48 a.m.

Damn it, i would see this post sale...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dcyRa0SA9Fuq9eVevQa381LY6yAmbiuSJnlVs23aEoVpVXRrYeOBlzuUnjZlaiOy