1 2
rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/24/24 2:37 p.m.

Oh boy. This is tempting but I've got to stay the course. If someone is really interested, I'll rattle out to Lodi and take a look.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3456696014620540/

Docwemple
Docwemple Dork
4/24/24 3:35 p.m.

The link brings up a 300sl replica 

rdcyclist
4/24/24 6:03 p.m.

In reply to Docwemple :

Fixeded...

Docwemple
Docwemple Dork
4/24/24 6:17 p.m.

Actually looks like a really good deal. Wrong coast for me

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/24/24 6:39 p.m.

The motor is still in pieces. Looks like he put a lot of money in it and it isn't anywhere near done.

You can find running Europas for 10K and restored ones for 20K. Looks like there are no more free ones.

No cheap Porsches left either. Time to start looking for free boats.

rdcyclist
4/24/24 7:24 p.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:... Time to start looking for free boats.

No such thing. By definition, a boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money...

4/24/24 7:46 p.m.

In reply to rdcyclist :

Kind of like a cheap Europa.

rdcyclist
4/24/24 8:21 p.m.

Yeah, you got me there...

gixxeropa
gixxeropa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/25/24 1:44 p.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

there's a free one in indiana as long as you don't mind sourcing everything but the body and frame

Docwemple
Docwemple Dork
4/25/24 2:02 p.m.

In reply to gixxeropa :

Do you have a link?

4/25/24 2:04 p.m.

I have no place to put it. I would have to sell the boat.

gixxeropa
4/25/24 2:12 p.m.

In reply to Docwemple :

no link, it was just part of a lot of Europa stuff I bought off the guy and didn't have room for in my trailer. Not a lot there, but might be useable for something

i think he also had at least 1 door for it

Docwemple
Docwemple Dork
4/25/24 3:55 p.m.

In reply to gixxeropa :

I know of one for a grand that a tree fell on. Broke the a pillar

4/25/24 4:31 p.m.
gixxeropa said:

In reply to Docwemple :

no link, it was just part of a lot of Europa stuff I bought off the guy and didn't have room for in my trailer. Not a lot there, but might be useable for something

i think he also had at least 1 door for it

It would make a good dog house.

gixxeropa
4/25/24 4:35 p.m.

Even a europa fresh off the assembly line isn't weatherproof enough to be a good dog house

4/25/24 5:11 p.m.

In reply to gixxeropa :

Huskies are weatherproof enough to sleep anywhere.

4/25/24 5:48 p.m.

I keep thinking about how I really want one, but then I think about how much time it would take to find all those parts, how much money it would take to buy them, how much more time it would take to put it all together and how little time I have left after working 40 hours plus a week and working on the Miata and the pickup truck, what the 914 needs and fertilizing the lawn on both houses and taking care of three dogs and....

And if I do manage to finish the project, I will have to park it somewhere along with all my other cars, maybe a garage or a car cover, and pay insurance on it and pay for registration every year and start the dang thing at least once a month so the battery doesn't go dead. Charge the battery when it goes dead. Then decide if I can even drive that many cars or if one are more need to go to replace the project I just finished.

Yeah. I didn't think any of that through when I got my first Europa and look where it ended up. There is only so much time and so much money.

I'm probably going to be selling a Sea Doo and a Motorhome soon.

Truck going to get fixed. Buy camper for truck. Sell Motorhome. Minor work on Porsche. Put new hardtop on Miata. Get the dirtbike running again.

No more new projects till all this is done.

When I was younger and dumber and had a large backyard I collected projects that would never be finished. Now I look at something like that Europa and calculate how much time and money it would take for me to fix it and whether I have time and money and if I want to spend it all on that. And most of the time, I say no. 

I think I am becoming a minimalist.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
4/25/24 8:27 p.m.

In reply to gixxeropa :

After getting screwed by the guy paid to pick that on the weekend you were up there, I'm glad to maybe get another chance. I might finish this job next week; one day too late to get to the SC job. That would leave me time to swing a few hrs west to pick it up, on my way home!

Weight will be no problem; what size trailer would I need to slap togather to strap that to?

P. S. I did DM you several days ago. I still have the address, but I think you had sent me a phone number? 
Thanks. 

gixxeropa
4/26/24 9:49 a.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

just saw your pm and responded. I'd say for trailer a 12 foot open would work, might be able to do a 10 foot with a little overhang but it would be pushing it. My trailer was a 16 foot v nose and it has a good bit of room to spare

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
4/26/24 7:04 p.m.

In reply to gixxeropa :

Cool. Thanks. Can 3 or 4 guys pick it up and walk, or am I being optimistic? cheeky

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
4/26/24 7:07 p.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:

BTW, those are awesome!

4/26/24 8:48 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

I have always owned huskies. I have two at my feet right now.

When I lived in Colorado they would sleep outside during a snowstorm and let the snow pile on top of them, just like the ones in the pictures. You couldn't drag them in with a winch. 

gixxeropa
4/26/24 11:14 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

Should definitely be doable, frame is maybe 50-75 pounds and body is maybe 200 

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
4/26/24 11:51 p.m.

I've always lived too far south to want to be a home for a husky. It has not stopped several folks I have known. 

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
4/26/24 11:57 p.m.

In reply to gixxeropa :

Cool. I did not get laid off tonight, so if I make it past Wed., I'll be to late for the SC job. (I need the money enough Ida gone, but didn't want those 3 weeks, so...) 

If I don't have to rush, a local friend up here can help me fab up a hitch, and there are a few cheap trailer possibilities! 
Wonder if I could strap it to the roof rack on the wagon???devil

P. S. Thanks for the DM. That'll help. laugh

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ktwXcyKViZe2yjYtlcNSDuul4Tp245VCH0fTudHuxuF2PLqxGV3BxEp8Zif18a8Q