Mileage: 88k
Reason for sale: Moving on
General Condition: Exterior 8/10, Interior 9/10

Modifications:
Flyin' Miata FMIC + piping kit
Go Fast Bits blow-off valve
Flyin' Miata downpipe
Flyin' Miata exhaust
Flyin' Miata intake kit w/ filter replaced in last 5000 miles.
Blouch/Deadbolt upgraded turbo
Thompson oil filter relocation kit
Some expensive Italian air horns of some sort
Massive 55mm aluminum radiator
Flyin' Miata "Stage 1" Airflow kit (nice shroud, obscene SPAL fans.)
Haltech Platinum Sport 1000 EMS
RC 550cc injectors
Magnecor "racing" plug wires
NGK AFX wideband controller/display
Autopower roll bar
Mazda Competition motor mounts
Energy Suspension poly diff mounts

Interior/looks stuff MiataRoadster delrin shifter bushing
Moss Miata sunvisor delete plates
IL Motorsports dual gauge DIN panel
Flyin' Miata boost gauge/Sunpro volt gauge
Kenwood Excelon headunit
Clearwater 8" component speakers in doors being fed off factory BOSE amp
SiriusXM unit and Kenwood add-on units
Trunk and rear bulkhead treated with RattleTrap
Replaced horrible silver-faced HVAC panel with a "normal" black face
"Base Model" seats and door panels replaced with "GT" trim leather pieces.
Clear side markers

Maintenance in the last 10k miles
Motor mounts
Diff mounts
Rebuilt shifter with Planet Miata "full" kit including both boots
Amsoil MTG in trans
Amsoil SVG in diff
Exhaust manifold gasket
Turbo drain pipe
Valve cover gasket
PCV
Spark plugs. (NGK ZFR6F11)
Replaced shift knob (Silly, but i hate how the threads get dirty)
Replaced passenger headlight (cost a pretty penny)
Alignment to FM specs

General sales pitch
This is a GREAT car that i've spent entirely too much money on that i'll never get back. Despite still being on stock suspension, it handles quite well. The brakes are exceptional, the transmission shifts very well. No strange noises from the rear end, trans, nothing. The car pulls very hard and is a completely different experience from driving a stock MSM with their horrible factory computers. Gets 28-30mpg on the highway, mid-low 20s around town. Heat will roast you out of the car, A/C works very well. There is absolutely ZERO rust on the car. The underside is mind-bogglingly clean. I bought this car with 69k miles on it, and quite literally just about 15k of the miles i've put on it are highway.

Negatives
I've driven this car across the country twice now. There are rock chips and a few minor dings, of which all but 2 are small enough that the light has to hit them right. The two that are more noticeable are a small one near the leading edge of the hood right in the middle, which i'm sure could be pulled out. The other is a strange one on the trunklid, also very small.

The windshield has some pitting, this was a California car, owner lived right on the beach.

It does NOT have the factory undertray. Miataturbo will tell you that the car will overheat and immediately burst into flames. I've never noticed a problem, and monitoring the Haltech dashboard like a hawk, it never even comes close to getting hot.

Front tires are near the wear bars.

Front lip has some damage, very common on these cars. Very fixable, but i'd just take it off and throw a Garage Vary or Mazda "Big Tupperware" lip on it.

Front bumper has a scuff on the passenger side. Just paint damage.

The car still cleans up beautifully.

Trade Proposition/sale conditions

$14k is my asking price. Open to interesting partial trade offers, listed here in no particular order:

1) XJ Cherokee
2) MR2 Spyder
3) E21/E30 BMW
4) BG chassis 323 Hatch
5) ST185 Celica AllTrac
6) A beautiful 1st gen DSM (Pre or post facelift is fine)

Pics!!!!

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/22/13 4:50 p.m.

How much cash would you be looking for with an early RX8? I've been thinking about selling mine and getting a (non Mazdaspeed) Miata. What kind of fuel mileage are you getting?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
11/22/13 4:55 p.m.
bgkast wrote: How much cash would you be looking for with an early RX8? I've been thinking about selling mine and getting a (non Mazdaspeed) Miata. What kind of fuel mileage are you getting?

Would depend on the car, really. I'd honestly prefer a later one because of the "sum is greater than the parts" feeling to it, but if it's clean enough and/or has the right modifications done to it, i'd be open to less money.

My thought is that say... a 2004 RX8 is worth probably about $7-8k to me personally in "normal" condition.

But, we're potentially talking extensively modified cars from both parties here considering the audience, so who knows.

As for mileage, it's been greatly improved since the Haltech install. Worst highway tank during the last cross-country trip was 26mpg. Best was 32mpg. Normal range is 28-30mpg. 22-25mpg around town.

I fully realize that with the RX8, i'm stepping "down" to a slower car that will get significantly worse gas mileage. Doesn't matter, she drives 7 miles a day.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/22/13 4:59 p.m.

Mine is box stock except for a "Sohn Adaptor" to inject 2 stroke to the apex seals rather than crank case oil. Similar miles on the car to yours. How do you feel about bright yellow?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
11/22/13 5:01 p.m.
bgkast wrote: Mine is box stock except for a "Sohn Adaptor" to inject 2 stroke to the apex seals rather than crank case oil. Similar miles on the car to yours. How do you feel about bright yellow?

I don't hate bright yellow, but i'm not sure how the wife feels about it.

Shoot me an email with details in terms of recent maintenance, whether or not it's the original motor, ignition condition, etc etc etc. Celicahalftrac at gmail dot com.

I can't promise you a deal at the moment, as i'd really like to somehow end up in an 09+, but i'm interested enough to hear more.

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
11/22/13 5:42 p.m.

Well you have interest from me, but you might have to help with a KLG4 swap in the P5 as well , shoot me an e-mail.

Dyno Vid (so so coils)

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
11/22/13 11:50 p.m.

I'll email you in the morning.

Mods, can we move this to the normal classifieds? Old habits die hard.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/23/13 12:30 a.m.

Want to buy a 2004 semi-rolling chassis in NC?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
11/23/13 10:45 a.m.

No thank you. Trying to not replace my one respectable car with a non-running project.

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
11/23/13 9:20 p.m.

K&N filter is the only "mod"

Also as you can see I have a set of S1 rims with Kumho XS 235/40 18 rubbers on it.

Just did an oil change with the OEM filter (forget the PN but its different for the S2 then the S1) with Rotella 15-40 and the coils (aftermarket), plugs (NGK, only ones for rotary that I know of lol), wires (NGK as well) within the past 10k, Also changed the trans and rear diff fluids (Lubro molly for both) and have receipt's for everything I've personally done to this point.

Will be watching my E-mail now.

beans
beans HalfDork
11/23/13 11:06 p.m.

I'll trade you a crappy Honda Accord, some spare parts, and some 4 hour old cheeseburgers and a case of warm Miller High Life.

keithj
keithj New Reader
11/23/13 11:28 p.m.

Ill trade you a turbo celica supra, 2 bags of junior bacon cheeseburgers a flat of red bull and a keg of Great Lakes Christmas ale.

NuJrzRedline
NuJrzRedline New Reader
11/24/13 12:58 a.m.

This qualifies for the definition of Ultimate Downgrade or OMGWTFBBQ.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
11/25/13 9:52 a.m.

In reply to NuJrzRedline:

Nah, if its what his wife wants, it keeps her from interfering with other things.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
11/25/13 9:55 a.m.

If i was the one driving it the majority of the time, i'm not sure i'd do this. But i'm not, so it doesn't matter much what i'd do.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
11/25/13 10:08 a.m.

About the color; it's not that expensive to vinyl wrap a car, right?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
11/25/13 10:13 a.m.

I'd say there's enough RX8s in colors other than red, yellow, or green that it shouldn't be terribly hard to find one. (Those are the only colors that SWMBO has ruled out.)

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
11/25/13 10:14 a.m.

The vinyl itself is cheap. Paying a shop to do it costs as much as a respray. DIY like GRM? case of beer and some change for the swear jar. I've been threatening to wrap my ms3 for years.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
11/25/13 10:16 a.m.

Also, since random trades- I'll trade you, a MINI Cooper S with 130k and a leaky oil pan (gasket is in the mail!) MY challenge car (the one that's still here) the challenge car YOU have, a barely used Specialized Rockhopper, a 6 pack of Dragons Milk, a bottle of Surly Seviin (you can't have my Darkness!) and I'll make some cheeseburgers when I come to pick it up.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
11/25/13 10:24 a.m.
mndsm wrote: Also, since random trades- I'll trade you, a MINI Cooper S with 130k and a leaky oil pan (gasket is in the mail!) MY challenge car (the one that's still here) the challenge car YOU have, a barely used Specialized Rockhopper, a 6 pack of Dragons Milk, a bottle of Surly Seviin (you can't have my Darkness!) and I'll make some cheeseburgers when I come to pick it up.

While tempting, i'm unsure if that's worth the prospect of my hootus never getting exercise again.

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
11/26/13 8:22 p.m.

Did you get my reply e-mail swank?

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke HalfDork
11/27/13 5:40 p.m.

Interested to see how this plays out.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/30/14 2:07 p.m.

Let's bump this up. Now officially FOR SALE.

$14k. No information has changed from OP, car has been in storage since then.

Open to interesting partial trades. What's interesting? In no particular order:

1) XJ Cherokee
2) MR2 Spyder
3) E21/E30 BMW
4) BG chassis 323 Hatch
5) ST185 Celica AllTrac
6) A beautiful 1st gen DSM (Pre or post facelift is fine)

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
1/30/14 9:39 p.m.

Hope the best for you swank! The S2 is still here as long as I don't get some offer on the other coast.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/11/14 5:59 p.m.

Pending sale.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UeP4eM24hWu6eM3eEMLKDhksh8VJgLq3vb7SOxFdBY5kWizS95vILJERzn5yJVDC