Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
8/12/15 11:42 p.m.

I got one of our Stutz up and running a couple weeks ago, finally got a chance to take some pictures for you guys.

This is a 1932 Stutz DV32 with a roadster body by Derham.

Three Stutz were equipped with this body, two of them came with the smaller SV16 engine, this is the only DV32 in the world with this body.

She drives really well, good brakes, lots of power, steering is light for a big car.

I love driving a car that has a god for the radiator mascot. Egypt was being explored at the time and Stutz chose the sun god, Ra for their mascot.

The DV32 is a dual-overhead cam straight eight with four valves per cylinder and pent-roof combustion chambers, Duesenbergs were the extreme high-performance cars of the era, Stutz were "the other guys". These were the high performance automobiles of the era.

I love the access door for the rumble seat.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/13/15 6:03 a.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/13/15 6:27 a.m.

Bet that's a nice ride.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
8/13/15 6:42 a.m.

A work of art fabricated by true craftsmen. Thanx for sharing.

Gary
Gary Dork
8/13/15 7:18 a.m.

Gorgeous!

RossD
RossD PowerDork
8/13/15 7:21 a.m.

How dapper!

trucke
trucke Dork
8/13/15 8:33 a.m.

Wow! That rumble seat door is epic.

gjz30075
gjz30075 Reader
8/13/15 10:17 a.m.

Trans Maro, I'm not on here often enough to know people's background but I see you're a "restoration mechanic" in your profile. Do you own the shop or just a wrench there? Either way, both of these cars you show are fantastic and obviously worthy of real Concours shows.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
8/13/15 10:36 a.m.

Just a wrench, there's only three of us in the shop. The owner, myself and our apprentice.

Shawn

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
8/14/15 2:20 p.m.

That looks weirdly like a Jaguar straight six circa 1995 with two more cylinders and a carbed manifold. Talk about ahead of its time!

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
8/14/15 2:33 p.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt:

It's about twice the size of the Jag engine though :P

ronbros9
ronbros9 New Reader
8/14/15 6:13 p.m.

trans-maro, you mention Duesenberg, around 25yrs back,i operated an engine machine shop in Daytona FL.

guy came in one day and said he needed someone to trust with a 1931 Duesy cylinder block and head, wanted the block&head cleaned and top deck machined plus main bearing saddles align bored, the head he wanted to redo valves and seats ,resurface deck! i showed him the only machine in the area(at that time), to do a straight 8 engine. 4 valves/cylinder center plug location, so after talking he said go ahead!!!

i went about my work around week or so he called and came by looked very carefully at every thing, he said the engine will be fine as far piston to head clearences,they can be modified if required, valves,ETC.

i remember charging $500. bucks for the work, after the the transaction, he says the block and head could be worth $100,000. if they where damaged beyond repair, i got dizzy and sat down,(talk about young and dumb).

must have been OK never heard from him again! looking back it probably was a high light of my shop. machined couple Lambo V12 blocks and Jaguar V12.

your cars are absolutely STUNNING examples of an encredable time in THE USA!

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
8/15/15 4:05 p.m.

Wow. I'm lost for words on both your posts. Thanks for posting.

physician
physician New Reader
8/16/15 8:01 p.m.

Do you have a sound clip? Or a driving video? I've always been attracted by those big cars :)

D2W
D2W Reader
8/24/15 2:06 p.m.

Epic coolness!

airwerks
airwerks Reader
8/26/15 2:27 p.m.

It always pleases me to see pieces of history like this brought back to glory. Good on you for preserving the pre-appliance cars!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EVM435JXj6F44pUrfpbIxYLBdD1mvEqZYZgqYLOSYgqWC3KqYKjlPdNVeZ3k6lw4