steelynorm
steelynorm New Reader
1/12/12 1:46 a.m.

I have 4500 to spend on a daily driver . 50 mile round trip Moderate traffic Being vague but want options I have never thought about.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
1/12/12 9:29 a.m.

I'd imagine you are considering buying a classic to use as a daily, as you posted here. Here's the first ones that can be had readily for that $$ that come to mind:

MGB

TR-6

Spitfire

Midget

VW Beetle (air cooled)

RX-7

Early VW GTI

Volvo 142 /240

Saab 99 / 900

There's a ton more, but these popped into my head.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
1/12/12 11:12 a.m.

That'll buy you a nice older BMW as well.

rconlon
rconlon HalfDork
1/12/12 1:04 p.m.

Miata Del Sol CRX I would want something that can be serviced anywhere and not want a specialty shop. So later than 1990 would have decent A/C and survive 50 miles/day in all weather conditions. Classic cars in this price range are never in great shape for extended use so you would need to budget that. I would suggest an enthusiast's car over a hobby car. Cheers Ron

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
1/12/12 2:41 p.m.

A Mazda Protege would also work if you're looking for something modern.

I think Joe and Per have hit the high points for a vintage car as a daily driver.

Of course you could split the difference with an earlier Japanese car. Mazda GLC or Toyota Corolla FX16 might be a lot of fun, yet still be reliable.

VClassics
VClassics Reader
1/12/12 7:36 p.m.

You can get a very decent Volvo 142 / 144 /145 (2-door, 4-door, wagon, respectively) for way less than $4500 if you look around a bit. Very roomy, carries a whole bunch of stuff, and extremely reliable once it's been gone through once. I would avoid an automatic, and prefer a '73 or earlier to a '74, which has injection that's a royal PITA to sort out if it goes wrong.

The 240 series is a lot harder to work on (and also has the PITA injection in the first few model years) -- later ones are much better. Of course, you'll find a lot more shops qualified to work on them than the 140s, if you don't plan on doing your own work.

oldtin
oldtin SuperDork
1/13/12 9:32 a.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: That'll buy you a nice older BMW as well.

People always say find the best you can afford - that's enough budget for a top notch e21 (320i) bmw or occasionally a 323 version pops up cheap. Seems 2002s are getting more pricey or have hit a different range.

Gary
Gary Reader
1/13/12 12:05 p.m.

Late 90s Ford Contour SVT. Great performance and handling, 5-speed trans, beautiful bulletproof 2.5 liter Duratec V6. Extrude-Hone polished secondary intake ports, stainless steel headers, high lift cam. Around 165 HP, enough power to get in trouble with if you're not careful. The Contour SVT is a true factory hot rod that gets around 20mpg avg. And it has A/C. Only around 10,000 made during 3 years of production. There are good ones out there in your price range. (I know, I have one).

http://www.edmunds.com/ford/contour-svt/2000/features-specs.html

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
1/13/12 12:38 p.m.

you're from california, seems like there'd be all sorts of leftover '80's japanese cars that have rusted away everywhere else.

i would do a nice RWD corolla wagon with a 3TC and a whole bunch of leftover money for parts.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
1/13/12 2:42 p.m.

More classic options - a Mopar A-body (Dodge Dart, Plymouth Valiant, and relatives) would be pretty easy to find in that price range. "GTwannaB" on the GRM forum turned up a California example by someone who takes bad pictures:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/2796451148.html

That could also get you a Nova or other GM X-body, or a Ford Falcon / Mercury Comet.

Tom1200
Tom1200 New Reader
1/16/12 7:35 p.m.

This one is easy....................Mazda Miata, you can buy one for $500 now (not pretty) 2K will buy a decent one and $4500 will buy a nice one.

I've had a Volvo 142 and loved it (only sold it becuase it was the Volvo or the race car), the gas mileage is OK not bad but not great.

I currently drive a 01 Protege ES , these are very underrated. Just make sure it's an ES (that is the sport model) or a Protege 5 (sport wagon). The others do not handle as well , Also the Mazdaspeed Protege is very fun but the gas mileage is not as good.

I'd also say Corolla GTS but finding one unmolested for $4500 would likely be tough.

A CRX HF..................this is the lower power version non-Si that gets smokin gas mileage but is still great fun to drive.

As for options really not thought of............Suzuki SV650 or Honda CB900F.

Tom
Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
1/17/12 1:20 p.m.

1st generation MR2 - dead reliable, great engine, great gas mileage, excellent handling, parts not a big problem, room to carry stuff so long as it's not confined in big square boxes. Quick enough for any realistic street use. I've had mine 12 years now, no problems of any kind,its only two weaknesses are front brake blance under competition conditions (no problem at all for any street use), and the chassis could easily handle another 100 horsepower.

Highly recommended.

Tom1200
Tom1200 New Reader
1/17/12 11:07 p.m.

Can't believe I forgot the first Gen MR2, I had one as well i'd recommend that one as well.....great fun and stone axe reliable.

Tom

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
weAiXOz7diOU2xETRcV3ykfkCefdchitJwjfDNGRaDqHvAuDxUdKiZIV7KrbjzXs