Brett Melancon
Brett Melancon None
3/31/08 7:52 a.m.

I located this car many years ago and finally worked a deal that will move it to my garage. It is a 1959 (I think) Fiat Abarth 750 Berlina. It is very rusty but has all of the trim bits. It is missing the engine :-( but the tranny and most everything else is still on/in the car.

Any info on this car would be welcome. Restore? Part out? rebody it?

Check it out.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
3/31/08 8:04 a.m.

I dunno, but it'd be a good candidate for "Ran When Parked"

racerdave600
racerdave600
3/31/08 11:01 a.m.

If you can restore it I would, as original Abarths are worh more than standard 600's, but it would really need the engine, and that's going to be hard to find. However, the other Abarth specific stuff could be sold for probably way more than you bought the car for.

rconlon
rconlon None
3/31/08 11:50 a.m.

Brett: Nice find. I would transfer the Abarth bits to your other 600 since the provenance is likely poor at best anyway. Does the rear deck show signs of ever being propped open. The other plan would be to sell off the Abarth specific parts to finance your 600 restoration to a city commuter car. As for an engine, the A112 with the serial numbers filed off was a common cheater engine for the under 1 litre class and is period correct (in a way).

Cheers Ron

Brett Melancon
Brett Melancon None
3/31/08 12:04 p.m.

I think that a transfer of parts may be the plan. Here is a photo of the engine bay. Notice the spots where the hood props were. I think that they may be with the car in a box.
Brett

Brett Melancon
Brett Melancon None
3/31/08 12:05 p.m.

How can I get these photos into the ran when parked section? Brett

rconlon
rconlon None
3/31/08 1:13 p.m.

Brett: The condition of the floor is not a big issue if the cross frames are sound. My buddy's 750 Zagato had everything rotted below the aluminum body and in the passenger area. He had to have much of it rebuilt including cross frames.

Cheers Ron

Brett Melancon
Brett Melancon None
3/31/08 2:06 p.m.

The story that I have is that the car was purchased new in the Maryland area and the original owner drove it for about 35k when the engine locked up. He pulled the engine for repair but the repair never happened. The gentleman passed away expectantly and never finished the rebuild. He was only in his early 30s. His father kept the car and refused repeated attempts to purchase the car.

Finally, the guy that I got the car from succeeded in buying the car. This was in the early 90s, that is when the car made its way to east TN. The was moved around and kept safely in storage. I saw the car about 6-7 years ago and always kept it in the back of my head. When I found the black 600, my interest was sparked and I tracked the guy down. The rest is history. Brett

racerdave600
racerdave600
3/31/08 4:01 p.m.

Also, most Abarths were built from kits anyway, very few were constructed as entire cars. If you transfer all the bits from that one to the black shell, you aren't doing anything much different than how they were done back in the day.

I researched converting my old '61 to Abarth specs a few years ago, and in the end, wanted to use the A112 motor. It seemed like the best and cheapest way to make "big" power. Some of the Abarth specific parts however were very expensive, but you seem to have a large portion of that with your car.

beaulieu
beaulieu
4/1/08 1:49 p.m.

I am interested in buying it , please PM me

Beaulieu

Brett Melancon
Brett Melancon None
4/2/08 9:34 a.m.

Were there any red Abarth 750 Berlinas? If I rebody this car, I would like to use my existing Fiat 600 and it was originally red.

thanks Brett

clocke
clocke
9/6/08 12:13 a.m.

This is my first time using this type of forum... I wanted to say I was cleaning out my shed (I used to have a 750 double bubble), and I found a lot of parts. Mostly double bubble specific - trim etc, but also an Abarth crank 'A199 4 58' and a couple of carbs and other engine parts. Do you know who might be interested in buying them??

Brett Melancon
Brett Melancon New Reader
9/6/08 6:23 p.m.

Me, Me. I would be interested, please call me at 865-604-3271 Brett

beaulieu
beaulieu New Reader
9/6/08 7:56 p.m.

Hi Clocke

I am interested in the trim stuff body parts and glass , and also the motor stuff

please call me at 310 341-0968

thanks

Beaulieu

Brett Melancon
9/9/08 4:11 p.m.

Does anyone know who clocke is? I responded to the inquiry on my post about the Abarth parts for sale but they have not replied. I also sent them an instant message but didn't want to be a pest.

Beaulieu, I would be happy to share some of the parts. I doubt that I need all of them anyway, might you do the same if you hear from them? I don't wish to be greedy, just don't want to let an opportunity pass.

beaulieu
beaulieu New Reader
9/9/08 10:10 p.m.

Hi Brett, he has not contacted me either

Beaulieu

degruch
degruch
9/11/08 4:26 a.m.

Hi there, I'm keen on Abarth 750 parts too! Would love to see that little Berlina on the road though Brett. I guess the benefit of having a Diverzione is that you can use a standard block - a lot of them were sold as kits.

Cheers, Duane

Brett Melancon
9/11/08 6:47 a.m.

Yes, It would open some options up for me, that is for sure. Brett

degruch
degruch New Reader
9/11/08 6:53 a.m.

Have you looked on here?

http://forum.abarth-gmr.be/

Seems you are acquainted with member 'Viotti600' who runs a 750 Berlina website with your car on it - he seems to be 'the man' when it comes to these little babies.

abarth69
abarth69
9/16/08 9:09 p.m.

Brett

I have both a Double Bubble Abarth 1959 and a 1959 Fiat Abarth 750 Berlina. I would find a nice Fiat 600 and move the Abarth stuff over to. For engine use hopped up 850 or A112.

Contact me for more help at my web site

WWW.abarth.ca

Cheers

Mark

B02S4
B02S4 Reader
9/17/08 7:58 p.m.

It has a radio...imagine that! It would be nice to see those Abarth bits resurrected on another chassis. I like the 850 engine idea. Best of luck with it.

abarth69
abarth69 New Reader
9/17/08 8:39 p.m.

Brett

Is there a number on the back side of the grill and the two out side bars???

Whats that nunber???

Mark www.abarth.ca

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NZ9mZmgRrNLGAU47XNhsHIPQKZpKAivuolbbNALG0gbw4MrtIyTrRUm6nesF7CbS