maseratiguy
maseratiguy Reader
10/22/15 9:14 p.m.

Just a thought. Most magazines seem to always post the top winners, the big dollar cars, the really cool high end auction results. I know these bring in the headlines and ignite peoples fantasies and imaginations. We all live vicariously, (or not) through them.

....But, i'd love to see the results for the bottom end cars, the ones I could really aspire to. the ones that sold on the last day near the end or at the wrong venue for them. For example instead of seeing what that rare Ferrari brought in or that top notch perfect Porsche, or incredible barn find. I'd love to hear about the average nice serviceable TR6, 240Z, or Fiat 124 Coupe. etc.

Just a thought.

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
10/22/15 9:36 p.m.

X2. I really don't care about some Ferrari that went for umpteen million dollars, etc.

BillBall
BillBall New Reader
10/23/15 7:35 a.m.

Yeah some coverage of cool <$20k cars would be great.

stu67tiger
stu67tiger Reader
10/23/15 11:51 a.m.

The auction TV coverage I've seen usually focuses on the high end of the market, not the common, driver grade machines like most of us own. Do these auctions even accept cars that would likely sell for 4 digit prices? Commission being the driving factor, since it would likely take just as long to auction 6 or 7 digit stuff like a real Cobra, as it would take for a condition 2 MGB.

Stu

maseratiguy
maseratiguy Reader
10/23/15 8:17 p.m.

Though I think the high end cars get the headlines and TV audience, I believe the bulk of the cars are rather mid range and lower models. Maybe the real high end auctions only accept top cars. But I doubt there are enough really to fill the day / weekends of all the auctions.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
10/24/15 10:13 p.m.

Showing results of average cars may help make them more accessible. People see the high end restored cars that have a history sell for major $$$ and think their plain Jane that might be the same or similar brand/model but doesn't run is worth that much too. Sometimes they return to the earth rusting away rather than sold to someone that would do something with it.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
10/26/15 11:20 a.m.

It all depends on the auction.

For instance:

RM / Sotheby's, Gooding, Bonhams--- exclusive, expensive, very correct cars (nearly all over $100K, many over $1 mil-- although Bonhams does feature lower priced cars on occasion)

Russo and Steele, Mecum, Barrett-Jackson---- Mid-level to expensive machinery ( most cars in the $30K-$100K range with some "star cars" bringing much more)

Silver, Auctions America---- Usually serving the accessible side of the hobby (most cars from $10K-- $100K)

The big headlines come from the big dollars--- but you'll notice we do feature a "Bought it Right" section in our Classic Motorsports auction coverage--- showing good deals that are still out there.

850Combat
850Combat Reader
10/26/15 1:06 p.m.

I love this web site, and the new "Auction" section is cool.

http://bringatrailer.com/auctions/

Much more interisting and eclectic fare at Bring a Trailer.

maseratiguy
maseratiguy Reader
10/29/15 2:16 p.m.

I do watch the bat site and Thanks Joe, I really like the bought it right section. Instead of just seeing the top sellers at each auction I am just as curious about the "bottom sellers' at each auction.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
10/30/15 7:30 a.m.

We focused on a lot of the lower priced cars this time around and always do a bit on cars bought right.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/30/15 2:44 p.m.

I totally hear you, and when putting together the auction section I try to mix it up. Monterey coverage is tough because there aren't a ton of low-dollar sales, but by and large that section doesn't ignore the lower-dollar stuff. The issue going to press showcases cars at the more affordable end of the spectrum. Is now the time to buy an Alfa GTV-6? Triumph TR6? Fiat 500 Abarth? How about a Fiat 850 Sport Coupe for $7600? (Someone got a killer deal on that last one.)

maseratiguy
maseratiguy Reader
10/30/15 9:21 p.m.

...and I lovedd it!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/10/15 9:33 a.m.
maseratiguy wrote: ...and I lovedd it!

Cool!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i7urqEcEhEk1MosDQHd65hyu8j1W58yxpoiIRLb5ToqDqg7XGJCEZO104DkXYoi6