oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
3/3/13 8:22 p.m.

Got the TR4 engine back from the machine shop right when the weather turned cold. Naturally they felt a need to spray it black. Don't know about anyone else, but in my view a black engine in a racer is about the worst choice. Being a 50 year old brit car I'll assume it's likely to leak - I just want to find it quickly. Spent a good chunk of time today trying to heat up the garage well enough to get some battleship gray on it.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/3/13 8:38 p.m.

The flip side to that coin is not necessarily so good either. I specifically had a machine shop NOT paint my block because I was afraid they would paint my resto-454 with black. As a result, they left it bare.... and it got surface rust on the humid ride home.

From now on, I consider their rattle-can efforts just a "primer" coat. Then I can mask and paint whatever color I want

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
3/4/13 8:12 a.m.

I'd consider a bit of surface rust to be a good thing. The POR-15 system (Marine Clean/Metal Ready/POR-15/final top coat) likes a bit of rust to grab on to.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
3/4/13 8:17 a.m.

I like painting the belly of the beast random colors. Just painted the transmission red while I had it out. Why? I wanted to.

J308
J308 Reader
3/4/13 8:19 a.m.

For the oil leak thing, I've been tempted to paint a block white. Sure, it'll attract dirt like a mofo, but any reason NOT to?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
3/4/13 8:33 a.m.
J308 wrote: For the oil leak thing, I've been tempted to paint a block white. Sure, it'll attract dirt like a mofo, but any reason NOT to?

Because you could have painted it baby blue.

J308
J308 Reader
3/4/13 8:47 a.m.

Point taken.

wspohn
wspohn Reader
3/4/13 10:29 a.m.

For street I'd go original black. For track I prefer Rebuilder's Gray as the colour that it is easiest to see oil leaks against.

On my MG powered race cars, I tend to stick with MG red as that is fairly easy to spot leaks.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Dork
3/4/13 10:34 a.m.

Yep. I painted my block some Ford gray, which is basically battleship grey. Black is too boring.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UberDork
3/4/13 11:12 a.m.

I was thinking through the best practical colors for different things on a racing car.

Chassis- a color that makes cracks visible

Body/interior - won't bake you out on a hot sunny day, body highly visible to other drivers.

Engine- shows leaks

Suspension- again, shows cracks

geckowraps
geckowraps New Reader
3/5/13 6:06 a.m.

Yup, I am agree.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
3/5/13 6:11 a.m.

In reply to geckowraps:

Nice to meet you, Agree!

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
3/5/13 6:23 a.m.

I also like being able to simply see. A black engine in a black engine bay; it's just plain hard to see anything there.

Kinda like working in a black shop. Doesn't matter how many lights you've got, it's just dark.

FranktheTank
FranktheTank New Reader
3/5/13 6:24 a.m.

My paint was driven by a certain look I was trying to achieve. I would miss a leak from 50 ft but why would I be 50ft away from my car?

I painted my entire frame satin black. Also the engine, diff and transmission.

It's called a light guys.... If you are as familiar with your car as you should be the only person it's hiding a leak from is people at shows.

As far as cracks... If you are doing a walk under inspection of the car like you should, you'll see it either way.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KQok4bLUHc6CVMS2EunoK1S3w6lsdmYTteWxINvua8CQOeVyPh18chzOx0sMJNBU