sjtm
sjtm
9/13/10 7:44 p.m.

Three years ago A friend started inviting local car owners to show their cars as part of a local event he organizes. . The show is followed by a car parade through townBy last year some very nice cars appeared, and my friend decided to have "awards", which, of course , meant picking out some cars over others. With a small friendly turnout, this was not too problematic. This year the number of cars doubled to over 40 and included some very significant classic cars. However, there was no restrictions on entry, so the gamut ran fom pre-war to mid 90's and american iron to rare european. Suddenly judging for awards was almost impossible due to the variety and relative high quality of so many entries.

We are trying to revamp for next year and looking for examples of well run car show formats that allow for the broad array of entries but still can give recognition to those that are true standouts. Any ideas would be welcome.

stu67tiger
stu67tiger Reader
9/13/10 8:30 p.m.

For British Car Day at the Larz Anderson auto Museum in Brookline MA, we started with a popular vote by age categories way back in 1987. That year we had about 75 cars. But as the numbers increased over the years, and the museum took over the event, they switched to a marque based popular vote, along with a popular vote best of show. A couple years back they added a "Director's Choice" to the mix.

The popular vote works well, since they don't have to recruit expert judges, and there's no one person or committee to yell at if you don't win.

Stu

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
9/14/10 4:53 a.m.

I generally try to choose shows where there is no judging. That adds a whole element that I find less than pleasurable.

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
9/14/10 7:05 a.m.

I really belive that the judging should be left up to the stopwatch.

However,

I dont mind the popular vote, if there has to be judging. I just have better things to do than polish my spokes...Of course the guy with the shiny black E-type always wins though

Leo

rconlon
rconlon HalfDork
9/14/10 8:55 a.m.

I like the popular vote idea as well as a participant vote. I would add this wrinkle. Charge a small fee to buy the ballot sheet. This money makes the voter more serious and can go to foray the costs or to a good cause. Cheers Ron

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
9/14/10 10:39 a.m.

In reply to rconlon:

That's a great idea! It's probably good to say entrants can only buy one ballot, as well. Sometimes I'm amazed at the lengths some folks will go to net themselves a $10 trophy.

Sownman
Sownman New Reader
9/14/10 1:21 p.m.
ddavidv wrote: I generally try to choose shows where there is no judging. That adds a whole element that I find less than pleasurable.

Agree. I've seen a Ford woodie get best foreign award and a new Cobra replica get best 60's-70's car awarded by judges. I've seen a 55 chevy win best 57 chevy by popular vote. I regularly see bad innacurate restorations with shiny new paint beat great survivors with patina.

Car judging is idiotic

GaryK
GaryK None
9/27/10 6:12 p.m.

Seems to me the best car events involve both a marque based popular or professional judging for awards and a driving event around either a closed course or a multi mile drive on public rural roads. Within the marques could be either model or age distinctions.

Series6
Series6 Reader
9/27/10 11:21 p.m.

I go to both kinds of shows, judged and non. Most of the judged shows are decided by the other entered car owners with one ballot per class, per car entered. Only issue I have with that is if a guy brings 3-4 cars or has a bunch of friends.

I approach both types of shows with the same attitude. The entry fee normally goes to a charity so I'm good with that.

Secondly, I go to shows to hang out with friends, see what other owners solved issues and enjoy a nice day out.

I restore and drive Alpines 'cause I like them. Never seen a plaque that would substitute for a great drive.....If I get a plaque, it's something to put on the wall and forget.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8onvdcbpWQOuroJgJqbUnbuoi2xQmItaAN4IBlAauIEP2kzmQudhgrH918POXrak