WilD
WilD Reader
12/2/09 9:28 a.m.

Anyone here making a Christmas list? My wife asked me to so she has some idea what to get me.

This is what I'm thinking:

1. The Vincent in the Barn and any other book that catches my fancy before christmas

2. Jack Stands (the fact I don't have any yet probably indicates my lack of abilities and gearhead cred)

3. A small air compressor

4. A nice rolling tool box

5. A good socket set

6. A torque wrench (I asked for this last year and didn't get it)

Anyone else asking for car related stuff?

DneprDave
DneprDave New Reader
12/2/09 9:54 a.m.

I think I already have more than enough tools.

Car books though are another thing. I really like anything having to do with the history of various marques and races.

Dave

59bugeye
59bugeye New Reader
12/2/09 2:36 p.m.

Nothing special.... 1. Air filters 2. Tach. Drive 3. Car Ramps 4. Brake/Clutch master cyclinder

That should just about do it.

Oh Yeah.............Hey santa...if you got room..how about bringing me a '56 Austin Healey 100M BN2

boeingpilot
boeingpilot New Reader
12/2/09 3:53 p.m.

I hope Santa is keeping that '56 Healey in a heated garage. I can't imagine what a north pole winter would do to it.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t HalfDork
12/3/09 7:01 a.m.
DneprDave wrote: I think I already have more than enough tools. ...

Yeah, I hear you on that, but after almost 40 years, some of my tools are wearing out! This year the Missus is getting me a new corded 1/2" electric Milwaukee drill (pistol type) with keyless chuck. I have several old corded 3/8" electric drills with key-chucks (and even an old 1/4" electric drill). Time for a new one!

ggarrard
ggarrard GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/3/09 7:13 a.m.

I've been thinking of asking for a cordless impact driver to skip the "hassle" of hooking up the air compressor (drag out from under work bench, plug into wall socket).

DneprDave
DneprDave New Reader
12/3/09 8:48 a.m.

I have both an electric impact driver and a Pneumatic one. The pneumatic driver is waaaay better!

Dave

aeronca65t
aeronca65t HalfDork
12/3/09 9:05 a.m.
DneprDave wrote: I have both an electric impact driver and a Pneumatic one. The pneumatic driver is waaaay better! Dave

Yep! Ditto.

By the way, I love my 3/8" air ratchet. As you get older, it's nice to just put the socket on the nut and just press the trigger! :)

André Rousseau
André Rousseau HalfDork
12/3/09 10:00 a.m.

I have all the tools and kit I need. I'd love some hardcore time to work on the car.

ggarrard
ggarrard GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/3/09 10:05 a.m.

To Dave and Aeronca65T... Thanks for the feedback...I've been wondering exactly how the electric stack up to the pneumatic...

And...Andre has noted another of my wishes...time to play...damn this job thing (although it pays for the toys)

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
12/4/09 12:24 p.m.

WilD,

Dont get a SMALL air compressor. Get the biggest you can afford. Thats the first thing youll "out grow".

As far as tools go, Im not sure what a good socket set is...but I have all Craftsman with Snap-on ratchets. As well as Snappy screw drivers. I try not to spend money on stuff, or names I dont need.

While Im that soap box I think the Craftsman Pro wrenches are great as well.

Leo

Series6
Series6 New Reader
12/4/09 12:42 p.m.

I was assigned the job of purchasing the door prizes for my car clubs Christmas party. To my disappointment Home Depot/Ridgid no longer sells the best/coolest 3/8" ratchet I ever saw. Well built but what makes it special is the grip handle also twists so if you're in a tight spot you can turn the handle clockwise and counterclockwise but the socket continues to turn the direction of the switch. Anotherwords if you have the switch set for righty tighty, twisting the handle will continue tightening, no matter which way you turn it.

Years ago, I had one but lost it, so I went down to H/D to get another. Got home put it in my tool box. Went about straightening up the garage. While I was gone, the gremlins that inhabit all things mechanical, put my original ratchet on a shelf, right out in the open.

Since it's against my religion to return tools, I kept the second one, and I'm glad now. If you can find one of these, grab it.

As far as a Christmas list, I'm pretty blessed. I'd settle for seeing my car in the featured Reader's Ride window. If not that, then I'd settle for waking up Christmas morning to find Santa and the elves installed a Painless Wiring harness in my Alpines, forever banishing The Prince of Darkness.... (I know, I'd stand better chances of getting World Peace and a cure for the common cold)

Best wishes to all friends here for safe and happy holidays. Yup. Even the Italian car owners.

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
12/4/09 1:03 p.m.

What I really want is a sonic screwdriver.

Leo

WilD
WilD Reader
12/4/09 2:38 p.m.

Craftsman sockets are what I want. I mostly have a bunch of no-name bargain bin specials now and I'm not too happy with them. I wish I had space for a big compressor... :(

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
12/4/09 3:23 p.m.

Before I bought a house, I had a 30 Gal portable compressor with one of those damn pumps that sound like an engine about to blow...but man...I still use it in and around the house.

Thats what I ment...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bngWJCMO75ijYRtCOpCBejCmi6lpOq7Kl3MBSPisCvck6jal9yEFn9imSUhIrgYB