1 2
NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
2/12/15 8:55 a.m.

OK, been living in this cold weather environment long enough to know that the only way to survive is to find something to do in winter that involves winter. I do a bit of ice fishing and till recently skied enough to kill the winter blahs and get a bit of physical activity.

The MGB goes into hybernation in October and comes out late april. So, that is seven months of the year that it is too delicate for our roads.

Now I am down to blowing snow and bitching.

It occurs to me that there must be a form of classic transportation that would actually embrace winter. A vehicle that might give me a reason to live for the 7 months where we just survive.

Any thoughts?

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
2/12/15 8:57 a.m.

Saab 99. Also, my Ford Capri was excellent in snow on basic all-season tires, and I'd rock that again. The problem with the Capri is how well salt causes them to dissolve.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
2/12/15 9:10 a.m.

Late 60s suburban/blazer trail rig?CCould do some winter wheeling.

Or vintage snowmobile?

Play with a pulse jet powered bobsled?

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
2/12/15 9:22 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

Oh snap, yeah. Like an original Bronco, or a Scout 80.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
2/12/15 10:03 a.m.

Needs to be something that is not bothered by salt. I don't need it to look pretty, but I have working on any street car more than 4 years old in this part of the planet.

Me and snowmobiles don't get along. They want me to die. Besides, believe it or not, I would have to travel 3 hours to get to anywhere I could use the thing so that it could kill me.

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
2/12/15 10:12 a.m.

Im heading out for ah hour of cross country skiing this afternoon. This evening dropping the rear end out of the TR8 vintage race car that were building up. Heading off for a week of scuba diving in the Caribbean in a few weeks. Between x-country skiing, tinkering in the garage and a week or two in the islands they`re the only things that keep me sane in winter. Otherwise I might have put a gun to head by now.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/12/15 10:30 a.m.

An old Subaru on snow tires can be a ball in the snow and still get you damn near anywhere. It helps if the rear axle is bent so you have a whole bunch of toe-out, makes for lots of oversteer.

rconlon
rconlon HalfDork
2/12/15 10:34 a.m.

Niva and let it rust.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/12/15 10:49 a.m.

Something just feels right about flogging a Scandinavian car through the winter.

ggarrard
ggarrard GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/12/15 10:59 a.m.

I hear you, NOhome... Just in from clearing the driveway and back deck of the 10cm of snow from last night. Now waiting to hear the city plow rumble by so I can put my coat and boots back on and go back outside

We've bought into the same winter survival model as TR8owner with plans to visit an island in the Caribbean because not seeing snow for even just a week seems to make Spring that much closer.

Cheers

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
2/12/15 11:27 a.m.

I am thinking a body kit for something like this. Maybe lose the turret to keep the CG down and help with slaloms?

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
2/12/15 11:47 a.m.

Willys. Wagon or Pickup.

My thing is, especially if it has been restored, is to undercoat them in all the right places. Willys and Internationals are known for rotting fast.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
2/12/15 2:02 p.m.

Porsche 924/944 from whatever years they were galvanized and throw on some good snows. Add some good driving lights and go hooning around every night after supper in the dark. :)

stu67tiger
stu67tiger Reader
2/12/15 2:29 p.m.

How about a classic old Land Rover? Not too sporty, but it should be able to wade through the really lousy weather, when lots of the rides mentioned above (except the tank) would stay home.

Stu

trucke
trucke HalfDork
2/12/15 2:41 p.m.

I struggled with the same question.

I moved to North Carolina.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
2/12/15 2:44 p.m.

My favorite winter car ever was a 1984 RX7 GSL (with the limited slip) on Haakapeliitas.

Gary
Gary HalfDork
2/12/15 2:45 p.m.

In reply to stu67tiger:

Ahh yes, love the old Land Rovers. But I would also add the 80's era Defender 90's and 110's to the mix. They're vintage machinery now, but a bit newer and more refined. Also, the Toyota Land Cruisers from that era will fit the bill.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
2/12/15 4:13 p.m.
Gary wrote: In reply to stu67tiger: Ahh yes, love the old Land Rovers. But I would also add the 80's era Defender 90's and 110's to the mix. They're vintage machinery now, but a bit newer and more refined. Also, the Toyota Land Cruisers from that era will fit the bill.

YES! Toyota Land Cruiser could work for me. Something about those things speaks to me.

Rupert
Rupert Dork
2/12/15 7:00 p.m.

Winter, isn't that what makes Christmas pretty. Being retired, the 1st of the year means the first of several weeks on Bonaire. With an average temperature of about 80*F. every day, there are a few issues to deal with. You must decide on any given day should I snorkel, dive, or sail. Or maybe a picnic on the beach? And yes fishing for dinner is important too!

Winter life on Bonaire is a beach!

850Combat
850Combat New Reader
2/12/15 7:11 p.m.

I've got a '91 and a '92 Polaris Trail Delux in Maine. Cheap, economical to operate. easy to get pars for, reliable, and very easy to not get stuck on.

I tow them with a Rabbit pickup with 16V motor and GTI interior. With the Nokian Hakkapeliitta snows, it goes really good in snow, and will probably out autocross most tow vehicles. It kills me to tear it up in the salt though.

Yeah, that and a snow blower for the driveway and a shovel for the walk...

I ran a '68 Ford Cortina with an open diff on studded snows through two Alaskan winters. It was fun, but you really want fuel injection. I drove it to work in Healy, AK in temperatures down to -40 (at minus 40 F and C are the same. It was very fiddly on the choke, and you had to sit in it for a long time to warm it up. That was with a oil pan heater and a lower radiator hose insert heater. No garage.

Gary
Gary HalfDork
2/12/15 7:13 p.m.

In response to Rupert:

Rupert, we hate you

Rupert
Rupert Dork
2/12/15 7:29 p.m.

In reply to Gary: Hey Gary, don't hate me! I spent almost 50 years, many times working 24/7 getting into this position! Emulate me instead!

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
2/12/15 8:38 p.m.
Rupert wrote: Winter, isn't that what makes Christmas pretty. Being retired, the 1st of the year means the first of several weeks on Bonaire. With an average temperature of about 80*F. every day, there are a few issues to deal with. You must decide on any given day should I snorkel, dive, or sail. Or maybe a picnic on the beach? And yes fishing for dinner is important too! Winter life on Bonaire is a beach!

Can I come visit?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
2/12/15 9:13 p.m.

Either a 4x4 truck of some sort or something light and flat bottomed with the engine over the drive wheels (think beetle or saab 96). Rustproof the hell out of it (cavity and undercarriage oil/wax) annually if you want it to last.

jp498
jp498 New Reader
2/13/15 5:44 a.m.

Owls Head transportation museum nearby has a model T with tracks and skis. It's on their https://www.facebook.com/OwlsHeadTransportationMuseum with pix and video.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SSrfU7kaVXqkJMu3MhkRaCGyTj6ynKYqP3pQ5mA8xzGjWH8WqPpbX9uEh5lEHhWV