1 2
map2050
map2050 New Reader
11/6/22 4:25 p.m.

I'm not doing a restoration, but I am refurbishing a '92 Mazda MX-3 GS with the 1.8 aluminum V-6. And I am trying to keep the budget in check so I don't go too far past the market value. I wasn't looking for a project as I have more than enough things to keep me busy. But this car found me via Market Place. It kept appearing as I searched for other items. So as the price came down to a more reasonable amount I decided to go take a look. It was donated to a non-profit by a local family who stopped driving it in 2006. It is not running and the story was the fuel pump is suspected as the problem. It has a solid body with faded paint; a musty interior that is virtually complete and not abused. I felt it likely would be scrapped out. It would be good garage companion to my '91 Miata. I'm waiting until spring to attack the mechanical things as I don't currently have garage space cleared. The interior was very dirty, but is cleaning up beautifully. I'm sure I'll need new caiipers, master cylinder, slave cylinder, maybe a gas tank along with the fuel pump. OEM parts are available for most of these items, with some OEM not significantly higher than aftermarket. However, I find big differences in timing belt/water pump kits. It is kind of overwhelming deciding where the sweet spot is in the balance of quality and value. Even "direct fit" is not always true. I bought a upper radiator hose from NAPA for my grandson's '06 Sentra 1.8 S and while fit it properly the outside diameter was just a bit thicker to the point that I could not reinstall the OE spring clamp. Had to put a worm-drive clamp on instead. Hoping I can get this MX-3 road worthy and reliable with out going crazy financially. Anyone have recommedations as to high quality Japanese parts in the aftermarket?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/11/22 11:33 a.m.

In reply to map2050 :

First, wow, very cool, rare find. I'm trying to think when I last saw a V6 MX-3 in the wild.

How has parts availability been?

With my Japanese cars–Miata and a long line of Civics–I have just been going with O.E. stock parts, down to the wiper blades. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jfBnd6PZ3MYTsQ0oDg375sijoyAkfwBlSKKa1z7g4fixklBg0NdbcUKu9051FfDK