André Rousseau
André Rousseau HalfDork
9/3/09 11:35 a.m.

I've been looking for trailer options for the FIAT.

Have not decided if I will go light or enclosed yet.

But found this baby the other day.

http://www.kendonusa.com/folding-car-trailer.htm

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
9/4/09 8:03 a.m.

They sure are proud of their work. It looks nice, but I'm not sure I want a trailer that will haul that much load and then fold up. I would have to see on in person and maybe even tow with it.

André Rousseau
André Rousseau HalfDork
9/4/09 10:23 a.m.

I like the concept.

Bet something could be built without the "round" tubes.

A.

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
9/4/09 10:48 a.m.

The round tubes are part of what makes it strong enough, assuming it is strong enough.

André Rousseau
André Rousseau HalfDork
9/4/09 11:03 a.m.

3000LBS.

This is what I want to build or find.

Gary
Gary Reader
9/4/09 12:00 p.m.

Simple single axle trailer like that is the best, Andre. Cheap and simple for hauling a small car. The concept has worked for many years. The tube frame folding job is novel, but the manufacturing and material costs have got to be high. I bet they're expensive.

André Rousseau
André Rousseau HalfDork
9/4/09 12:11 p.m.

Yeah the low trailer here was made back in the 80's for a formula car.

I've been bugging the owner for details ;)

For a single axle job I like how low it is. In case something happens you can limit the damage.

I still wonder if I could design the A frame part to come un-bolted for easier storage.

Could back the trailer into the garage with the car on it and remove the A frame hitch section and stow it under the trailer.

Must do some drawings soon.

Even done in steel it would be a nice light trailer which I could weld.

Now for the fun part of finding the hubs he used.

I am thinking truck front end?

http://www.124racer.com/mosport/gallery/09/raw/Saturday/index.html

http://www.124racer.com/mosport/gallery/09/raw/Sunday/index.html

For more images.

A,

slantvaliant
slantvaliant HalfDork
9/4/09 1:59 p.m.

I really like the idea of a trailer that doesn't take up much yard, garage, or driveway space.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
9/5/09 6:48 a.m.

I'm not sold on the fold-up trailer as a whole, but having a removable A frame at the front would be a huge plus. I can cram my dual axle trailer into my garage with inches to spare through the doorway, but the A frame gobbles up a lot of length in the bay. It wouldn't fit in my 'standard' sized bay; it only fits in the extended part where I have my work space.

pdmracing
pdmracing New Reader
9/5/09 6:50 p.m.

single axle is fine for a small boat, Ill pass on any car trailer with a single. If you tow any distance at all you will eventually have to deal with an issue such as blow out or such. I like my cars too much to take that risk.

André Rousseau
André Rousseau HalfDork
9/5/09 6:52 p.m.

I'm just starting out so its all small.

Still there is nothing saying I can't develop a small trailer with dual axels. Just adds to the weight issue.

And I won't be running "trailer" tires.

A.

ggarrard
ggarrard GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/8/09 11:02 a.m.

Andre - Friend who just bought an older formula car had a single axle trailer built by Majestic Auto in Manotick. I have not seen the results but I do know he was looking for something light to tow behind his Honda van. As for detachable A frames....many boat trailers are now available with folding tongues so that they fit in a normal sized garage.

GWGarrard

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk New Reader
9/22/09 5:50 p.m.

Andre, Years ago I built a small trailer to tow my Mini on. I used the bolt-on hubs from the rear of a Chrysler K-car. You could also use the hubs from an eighties vintage GM A-body. My trailer had 2 axles to help the handling and was made from 2x2 square tube, including the axles. Easy to find material and easy cutting and welding. You could easily cut a complete axle assembly in half and weld in a piece of tube to get the required width, too.The Mini only weighed 1300 lb. so I wasn't too worried about the small tubing. Tandem axles made it very stable to tow at 80 or so, and it was easy to back up, even though it was quite short.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
II2KLrdE5GZ0EoGi1Fvt0oyzhF56dRrN7LId6J1NhW30E8Q7kjASGsuodn16uZVW