David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/22/18 3:47 p.m.

Call Datsun’s roadster a Johnny-come-lately copy of the MGB and, well, you’d be wrong. The Datsun made its public debut at the 1961 Tokyo Motor Show; the MGB’s introduction came soon after. Both cars, though, share contemporary styling, sugar-scoop headlights and sporty performance. They also weren’t the first sports cars from their respective brands.

Datsun had stuck a toe in …

Read the rest of the story

wspohn
wspohn Dork
5/23/18 10:27 a.m.

The 1500 Fairlady was, like the MGB, a development from the MGA early B series engines.

And the Datsun engines were stronger and better breathing than the BMC engines they had copied (they'd been licensed for Japanese use as far back as the 1930s IIRC).

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
5/23/18 3:41 p.m.

I bought my house because of a Datsun roadster, but that's another story.  I've always liked these.

clshore
clshore New Reader
5/24/18 2:57 p.m.

Nearly had a chance to race a Datsun 2000 at Sebring.

Three of us, all racers, teamed up for the effort.

Had secured the car, a spare motor, sponsorship, a tire deal, and support from Datsun.

Were trailering the car to the shop we had rented, had a flat, no spare.

Left it for 15-20 minutes to fetch a spare, and when we returned, the whole rig was gone ...

Oh well.

Flyman615
Flyman615 New Reader
5/24/18 4:38 p.m.

My first Datsun Roadster was a 1963 1500 Sports purchased for $500 in 1972. It had dual carbs (some were single) and the third sideways jump seat as well as 13" wheels and a non-synchro first gear. Still, it was loads of fun on the paved back roads of Northern California. Sold it to a neighbor and bought a 1969 2000 doubling my fun with a five speed, 135 hp, and a white hardtop. Alas, it went the way of my ex-wife.

Then in about 1985 I found another 1970 2000 which I own to this day. It has 71K miles and was one of the last imported (SRL14360) via Taiwan by a USAF member.

Frankly, it's too bad the Datsun Roadsters are still confused with the MGB because IMHO, they are MUCH better cars!

Scott Z.

B13Birk
B13Birk GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/28/18 9:26 p.m.

I love my 1969 1600 roadster. Factory all original Black with Red interior. Its a snug-top removable hardtop. 

My favorite car I own. 

randyracer
randyracer New Reader
3/1/19 8:50 a.m.

In reply to clshore :

Tragic, truly tragic.  That woulda been SO epic.  I had a 2 Liter Roadster in college.  Fantastic engine that got me rudely reclassed at an autocross, due to its booming intake noise.  Okay, okay, you tough guys, the air pump is gone, so shoot me!  The 2000 was a total sleeper that could take on many sporty cars who had no idea what they were up against.  And man, the springs were stiff.  But what fun!  Sorry about your theft loss.  Oh, that hadta hurt.  Today, we’d post it on Facebook, and find it.  I just did that for fan in Vegas, and got his Mustang back

RPO469
RPO469 None
12/10/23 2:27 p.m.

In reply to B13Birk :

Beautiful, beautiful car!  I had a 67 1/2 1600 in college and loved that car and like so many wish I still had it.  Did a little rallying in it, drove to Mid Ohio and generally had a good time with it and in a friend's big Healy.  Those were the days as they say.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/11/23 11:21 a.m.

For some more Datsun roadster reading, check out this piece on the Grassroots Motorsports site about Bill and Elliot Harvey’s autocross car. Past Perfect. It’s a piece of autocross history. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nxNGHvqV8jZNnV23VQQFVyiKQuRhMbHdhLk8OT92lJ2EYunjJ2BeNdBtGX8JCNm8