André Rousseau
André Rousseau Reader
3/2/09 5:47 p.m.

The wall of shame.

Well a small section.

André Rousseau
André Rousseau Reader
3/2/09 5:51 p.m.

I tried to buy a GT6 MK1 model 2 yrs, but it went to someone on ebay for well over $200.00 ekkk.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 HalfDork
3/2/09 6:13 p.m.

Haven't found one yet for an Opel GT. At least not for a decent price.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
3/2/09 6:34 p.m.

The question is do I have a die cast model...yes. But I also build plastic kits of the cars I own (when available). I've also taken a die cast and disassembled, painted it, and added details to it if I can't find a kit.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
3/2/09 6:35 p.m.

AMT made a Opel GT kit probably back when they were new. I had a really nicely built one I sold on Ebay probably a year or two ago. It makes a very nice kit if you can ever find one. I also buy built kits, even poorly done, and simply 'restore' them.

TR3only
TR3only New Reader
3/2/09 8:19 p.m.

I've often admired die-casts, but have never bought any. I do have plastic models of a few of the cars I've owned.

KaptKaos
KaptKaos Reader
3/2/09 8:36 p.m.

I posted a link in previous thread, but it certainly didn't get the attention that it deserved. So here's the the link again.

http://www.wilcosdioramas.com//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=29

The fellow doesn't like direct photo links, so you will need to look for yourself.

Correction:

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
3/3/09 6:18 a.m.

I have many die cast models (all 1/18 scale), but I've never found one of a TVR 2500M. I do have one of a '65 Mustang, although it's a Shelby. I have always planned on painting it to look like mine, but haven't gotten around to it yet. If anyone knows where I can buy a 1/18 TVR model (any type), please let me know!

bikesnrovers
bikesnrovers Reader
3/3/09 9:17 a.m.

Still looking for a Triumph GT6 Mk2 and a Land Rover Series IIA 88 Station wagon. Actually, I have found a Land Rover, I just didn't buy it... yet.

Do Hot Wheels count as die cast models?

rconlon
rconlon Reader
3/5/09 10:37 a.m.

I have a few hot wheel types that were given and they are Italian models but they are hidden the garage somewhere. With the real thing sitting there, a scale model does not catch my interest.

Cheers Ron

DavidLMM
DavidLMM New Reader
3/6/09 4:51 p.m.

Umm, try eBay? There are a dozen or more dicast GTs in varying scales, plus the AMT kit and even a 1:43 Solido kit.

bikesnrovers
bikesnrovers Reader
3/6/09 7:18 p.m.

If that was addressed to me David I have found Mk 1's and Mk 3's but never a Mk 2. If you have a lead on a die cast model, not a kit, let me know!

Coupefan
Coupefan New Reader
3/7/09 10:11 a.m.

Wish I had taken a shot of my display before taking it down. I had a custom acrylic wall unit made with 8 x 4 compartment configuration. I originally intended it for 1/18th scale, but ended up stuffing some of the compartments with up to 8 1/43 scale model cars. During the remodel, I took it down. Now I lost my wall space to a bookcase. My collection sits wrapped in up in a box in the garage. I think it was her plan all along...

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/7/09 1:24 p.m.

bikenrovers, where did you find an 88 IIa SW model? The only one I've seen is a basic "white metal" kit that's about 1/43 and a bit crude. I've got the 1/1 model, I'd love to have a 1/18 to go with my others.

bikesnrovers
bikesnrovers Reader
3/7/09 2:32 p.m.

Keith, I am completely blanking on the name right now. They specialize in Mini stuff (new and old), models, grille badges, clothing, et cetera. Of course I don't have them booked marked because I have never forgotten their name before. Old age is catching up fast!

Give me a while not to think of it and I will.

Tad

bikesnrovers
bikesnrovers Reader
3/7/09 6:44 p.m.

Ha! Triple C!!! Here.

Edit: I just visited their site and I do not see the SII Station Wagon anymore.

André Rousseau
André Rousseau Reader
3/7/09 7:04 p.m.

http://krwmodels.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=9291

I wish... But there is no way in hell I'm paying $80 plus for a 1:43 scale car... :)

A.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/7/09 9:19 p.m.

Thanks Tad. I haven't been looking for a while, maybe it's time to step up the hunt again.

BTW, André - it's $72 Cdn including shipping to Ottawa. But yeah, that's a lot of cash. Looks like that model is not yet released or very new, so give it time to propagate a bit.

André Rousseau
André Rousseau Reader
3/8/09 7:01 a.m.

Yeah. Maybe they'll do a blue one..

Hell I'll paint it blue if i have too ;)

A.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/9/09 10:01 a.m.

I have found that die-cast collecting is a slippery slope. If I limited myself to cool cars, then I'd still have a million. I have found that sticking to cars that I own makes it easier. And since there are so many Mini models, I stick to ones that are the same color (more or less) than mine. Of course, none of this explains my die-cast Isuzu Bellet 1600GTR. (I think it was on sale.)

André Rousseau
André Rousseau Reader
3/9/09 11:55 a.m.

Yeah I have some odd ones in the mix, but there were gifts.

I have a weakness for old Ferraris.

I got my Jag SS 100 when I was a little kid way back when. It was a gift from my Grand Mother.

Now yes very limited pickings. The shelf is full, but my wife still likes to buy Triumphs when she can find them.

A.

bikesnrovers
bikesnrovers Reader
3/9/09 12:30 p.m.

My favorite in my collection is a Tucker. Even though I have tried to stick to marques I own, if not the exact model. However, there are some really cool cars out there that I will never own, like the Tucker, so I just have to have the die cast!

Series6
Series6 New Reader
3/10/09 6:36 p.m.

I have a few AMT 1/24 scale Tigers that i plan to build someday but in the meantime I took my car to a Dupont refinisher and had the paint scanned and mixed. (It was supposed to be from an Infiniti but I can't find a good color code.) I took a Johnny Lightning apart and sanded it down, painted the wheels and made a little roll bar. I'd post it but can't figure out how to put the picture in this post. Of course, I still think computers are witchcraft..

Ian F
Ian F Reader
3/11/09 11:05 a.m.

I have a few... mostly a collection of 1/87 "matchbox" cars that looked interestign to me. Most recent purchases were a '71 Demon (purple) and a '60's Ferrari 250. At a $1 each, it was hard to say no...

Amoung the more expensive models, I have two 1/18 E30 M3's: one in race prep and the other a street prep. I also found a 1/43 VW "Bora" (the Jetta wagon in Europe) that pretty much matches my car exactly - color (Indigo Blue), interior (tan), and even down to the 16" BBS RX-II wheels (which were not a std option on US Jetta wagons) that I run on the car during the Summer.

Shinsen774
Shinsen774 Reader
3/14/09 10:29 a.m.

I've picked a fair number of diecast models for both Miata and MGB in a few different sizes. I also have an AC Cobra and a '58 Chevy I built just for fun along with a Miata model I built and painted to match by '03 Shinsen Version. Finally, I have an MGTC diecast model and a London Double decker bus I picked up this week while on vacation at an antique store for a couple of bucks. Not sure why I bought those, but I like having them. Got many of them at flea markets and antique stores for just pennies.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wkHF6gQavwT6Zu37FWMSDMYiXgiySlD1k14P20d6kqGi7cSEd0WLX0QVjwKl2GuF