1 2 3
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/8/13 12:56 p.m.

I know that some of us have to be mindful of insurance restrictions, but do you ever take your classic when running an errand? Ever make a Lowe's run in the Lotus? Pick up potting soil in the Porsche? Haul the kids in the Kaiser?

The latest wagon post got me thinking about that: http://classicmotorsports.net/project-cars/1975-pontiac-catalina-safari/remembering-why-we-play-classics/

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
10/8/13 1:10 p.m.

One of the reasons I went with a 4.8 LS motor in the '72 Chevy pickup instead of a 350 is that when everything's working on that truck, it gets driven a lot. It's used for picking up firewood, landscaping projects, etc.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
10/8/13 2:18 p.m.

Yes. Quite often, actually.

"Need to go to the grocery store... Hmm... haven't driven the Mini/GT6 in a week or so..." Now that I think about it, the last time I went to the grocery store, I drove the GT6. I've driven the Mini to the local Home Depot for small things a number of times.

I try to drive one of them to work a couple of times a month. Being a ~100 mile trip, it's a good way to burn out old gas. Fortunately, in PA "Classic" and "Antique" registered cars are allowed to be driven to work in lieu of your DD "Occasionally. 'Occasionally' defined as 'once a week.'"

wspohn
wspohn Reader
10/8/13 3:29 p.m.

I have several cars on collector plates which means I can't use them for work. I drive them evenings and weekends to do whatever needs doing.

One such outing resulted in a line I've never been allowed to forget. At the nursery I instructed to helper to just drop the steer manure by the Lamborghini.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/8/13 5:14 p.m.

I use my 911 to go to Home Depot for small stuff, the grocery store and I used to take my daughter to day care in it every morning.

stu67tiger
stu67tiger Reader
10/8/13 7:06 p.m.

I needed a couple more 2x4's for a shed I was building. My wife was off shopping in the wagon, and they wouldn't fit easily in my Jetta, so the logical solution was to take the Tiger up to the lumber yard. I just folded the passenger seat seat back and loaded them in. It must have looked weird, but it worked just fine.

octavious
octavious Reader
10/9/13 10:25 a.m.

Took my son to preschool this morning in the 911 and then to work. I'll probably end up picking him up in it too because my wife is sick today.

I've used the 911 for short grocery or HomeDepot runs. I made the mistake of taking the 911 once to HomeDepot in the spring and my wife filled the whole interior with different plants and flowers to be planted. And the trunk was filled with top soil and plant feed (in bags thankfully).

I stopped driving it to the HomeDepot, Walmart, etc not because it couldn't do it but because I didn't want it dinged or bashed in the parking lot.

ahutson03
ahutson03 Reader
10/9/13 10:40 a.m.

The cooper s gets driven almost every day, I can't stand letting it sit in the garage

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
10/9/13 3:01 p.m.

Why, yes I do.

Valiant Packmule photo IMG_0179.jpg

Before it was a classic, the Valiant was an appliance.

rconlon
rconlon HalfDork
10/9/13 4:04 p.m.

One could say a trip in the classic is never mundane. My Fiat was the second car at my place and got used as such. I commuted in it and took the kids to school and soccer in it from 1999 to 2005. I keep it insured with a normal policy without restrictions. Now it is a weekend, the third, car but so are the others since I walk to work. It does show some wear and tear after 60,000 miles but is decent enough to be showy. This weekend I am off to Hallett vintage races.

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
10/9/13 4:48 p.m.

I drive my TR8 virtually anywhere on a nice day. Its a very reliable car that I never worry about. I've owned other classic cars that I wouldn't want to drive any further than I can walk home from. Hard to fit lumber, etc from Home Depot in a two seater however. For that I'll use the hatchback.

ian @ Jewel Or Jalopy
ian @ Jewel Or Jalopy New Reader
10/9/13 6:35 p.m.

We use our Berlina as a semi-daily driver. Grocery trips, apple picking, pretty much everything except Costco runs and Home Depot runs. It has 4 doors and 4 seats for a reason.

Besides, she gets cranky when we don't use her regularly.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
10/9/13 7:41 p.m.

I had the Mini out tonight to meet for dinner with an old HS friend. On the way home I stopped and returned the battery core from the BMW. It's fun to take it out for a quick drive, even if the destination isn't anything all that special (although my friend enjoyed seeing and insisted on a quick drive).

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
10/9/13 8:30 p.m.

Familiarity must breed contempt...

When the Gt from Hell was on a restricted collector car policy, I drove it pretty much everywhere. Three years ago, deciding I wanted to drive it to work whenever I wanted, I ponied up for the "real car" insurance. Ever since then usage has declined to the point where I don't think it made it out a dozen times this year. Giving me an insurance cost around $60 a drive.

The good news is that even with fuel at $6.00/gal here, the fuel seems like a good deal.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
10/10/13 11:10 a.m.

I drive my Mustang anywhere, any time I feel like it. That's one nice thing about having a neat, but not perfect, car.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
10/10/13 12:28 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: I drive my Mustang anywhere, any time I feel like it. That's one nice thing about having a neat, but not perfect, car.

Exactly. One thing I learned from my ex-g/f is to never have a car that is so nice you become afraid to drive it. It was so freakin' annoying how she would bail on an event if there's even the slightest chance of rain.

While I avoid taking the cars out if it's raining (LBC wipers just don't work that well), if I get caught in the rain I'm not going to go berzerk over it.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
10/10/13 1:15 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: I drive my Mustang anywhere, any time I feel like it. That's one nice thing about having a neat, but not perfect, car.

Yep, that's one of the reasons I don't plan to do much of a cosmetic restoration on my truck (although I may reupholster the interior sometime). It's a beater truck, and gets used for truck things.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
10/10/13 2:55 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote:
Yep, that's one of the reasons I don't plan to do much of a cosmetic restoration on my truck (although I may reupholster the interior sometime). It's a beater truck, and gets used for truck things.

+1

I just bought a beater 6cyl 1982 Ford F-150 for the princely sum of $1,200.00. It's so incredibly useful, I can't believe I haven't owned a pickup before.

Sure it's a little ratty on the outside (and inside), but it's nice to not worry where I park, and not worry about weather. I don't really consider it old enough to be a "classic", but it sure gets the job done and is from a much simpler time. ( Roll-up windows, 4spd with granny gear, vent windows, etc.)

Raze
Raze UltraDork
10/10/13 5:14 p.m.

I'm about to start doing this to the Fiat - keeping it as a 'classic in my garage' was never the intent and it's pissing me off how little I drive it...

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/11/13 5:54 a.m.

I bought a tank of propane and the guy behind the counter had to come out and look at the 914. "If you pulled that bottle out of the front, where's the engine?"

I opened the back where the roof was, "Holy crap, it's gone!"

ArthurDent
ArthurDent HalfDork
10/11/13 9:38 a.m.

My classic is also my daily driver. I've done dump runs, hauled firewood even make scrap metal hauls in it.

1970 Mercedes-Benz 220D at the dump

Rupert
Rupert Reader
10/11/13 9:56 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver:

What a great story! Along the same lines, I can't tell you many times my X-19 caused issues at various places. Remember this is the '70s we're talking about now.

I'd get out of the X and go into a store or stop for gas & someone would run up and tell me my engine just started up! Electric fans that start up and run even with the key not in the ignition were pretty rare back then.

cdowd
cdowd Reader
10/11/13 11:13 a.m.

I drive my 1963 Alfa Giulia spider as a nice day daily driver. speaking of that since we are enjoy a particlarly nice fall in Michigan I am going to go get it and bring it back to work.

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
10/11/13 12:42 p.m.

yeah, I love taking them out for goofy stuff. The only downside is the attention you get sometimes. I'm not the most social person, so driving cool cars can be a double edge sword, but it's worth it.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
10/11/13 12:52 p.m.

In reply to Cotton:

Don't buy a Mini. Definitely not a car to drive if you don't like having your picture taken...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
04XthW17x6mJ2TAnuplCKclijPXGT3HS8OoEms4M06OC9QJhizMwKiomiZNDKfL7