Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
3/24/16 10:19 a.m.

Alternator changes and upgrades are among the most common underbonnet modifications performed on British cars. We’ve seen hundreds of these swaps performed through the years. While some are appropriate and effective, we’ve witnessed–and fixed–too many that have ultimately caused some sort of expensive problem: an electrical meltdown, a spinning part thrown from the car, or maybe just something sticking itself …

Read the rest of the story

pharriso
pharriso New Reader
12/12/18 6:27 p.m.

Or just buy a properly engineered kit... like those vailable from Keith Gustafson (who you do list...)

Dwight
Dwight New Reader
4/15/24 7:51 a.m.

I installed a Bosch alternator from a Ford Fiesta....

Works wonderful

billbrewer59
billbrewer59 New Reader
7/10/24 11:11 a.m.

In reply to Dwight : Man, those are no longer available. I installed one in a TR6 years ago and haven't been able to find them for my other Brit cars since.

RacerJ
RacerJ New Reader
7/10/24 2:59 p.m.

I would like to add that the "idiot" light wire is more than just for the light, and really should be done - even if you didn't think you needed a light.

When the ignition is turned on, that wire to the light gets powered (as the diagram shows, it has to be keyed power).  The power flows through the light to the alternator and charges the coils.  Then the second the engine starts going, the alternator is putting out power.

If you don't have this wired this way, the coils ultimately get charged, but the alternator won't put out power until you rev the engine or drive it a little.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6UY6rPlxgIH1VAPxSmntZd9jMvKybA8t3xS3wc2f4GXLVuskyGBklj5tCxxBOPMM