jmorgan456
jmorgan456
9/27/08 12:02 p.m.

Hi all.

First post here. I am new addict tothe magazine.

I am in search of a project car.

I just do not know what I want to do. I dreamed of a TR6, but won't work with the family issues. Also considered a Monster Miata - same.

Nothing seems to be hitting me at the moment.

my stable so far - 2000 Boxster basically stock 2001 Saab 9-3 with rebuilt suspension 2008 Subaru tribeca (wife's) 1995 Camaro

I have 3 kids 6, 4 and (-2 weeks?) (well any day now)

So, the plan must meet three basic requirements 1) be able to fit myself and at least 2 kids - so I can take them to school.

2) be relatively cost effective - ferraris are out - Porsche's borderline.

3) be fun to drive.

I have considered early 911's which are teh leading candidate, but I am afraid I cannot properly mount seatbelts.

I considered a 4 seat morgan - but problematic on multiple fronts.

I really like the idea of a VW bug project. It has the added benefit of being a trip down memory lane - I owned 4 bugs in the day. All four together $300 to purchase. Ran for 6 years. Kinda afraid that it won't be the same...

Thoughts please????

KaptKaos
KaptKaos Reader
9/27/08 1:13 p.m.

Aside from extra seats with seat belts, what are your other requirements? Some examples might be:

Acceleration

Handling

Braking

Looks

4 doors

Chrome

Pre-76 (in CA, pre-76 cars have no smog checks. Your state may vary)

Car seats or boosters

Storage space

Air conditioning

Fuel economy

Front drive or Rear Drive

Convertible

I'm in a similar boat. MY 73 914 is great, but I can't haul 2 kids to school in it, so I am looking at alternatives. I am saving up for a potential 2nd classic for school runs. Here's my list:

BMW 2002

Mercury Capri

Fiat 124 Coupe

Fiat 128 Sedan

Volvo 122 Wagon

Porsche 912, 924, 944

VW Type III Squareback

Audi Coupe GT

Alfa (Alfetta) GTV, GTV6

Lancia Fulvia (not likely but I can dream can't I?)

VW Scirocco

Opel Manta 1.9

There are lots of options here. Good luck!

jmorgan456
jmorgan456 New Reader
9/27/08 7:57 p.m.

all other requirements are flexible - I would trade acceleration for handling for instance. There must be a fun to drive element.

hadn't really thought of bmw's though --

what about a 635csi - of moonlighting fame? I have no idea if it even has back seats - An early 3 series would though - and might meet all the other requirements. Hmmm...

I like the scirocco too, but weren't they really problematic in the day?

KaptKaos
KaptKaos Reader
9/27/08 8:11 p.m.

Your budget is going to really dictate what you can look at.

Just remember, the more expensive the car was new, the more expensive the parts are. BMW 635s (30s, 33s and M6s) are some of the prettiest cars ever made. They have +2 seating. You should expect parts to be expensive.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
9/28/08 7:09 a.m.

Kaos has a good list there. The rear seats in a lot of these sporty cars are a joke, while others are impressive in the amount of available room. I can tell you the Audi GT has excellent rear seats. Even my Mini easily swallows 4 people in comfort. Any BMW other than a Z series will haul 4 no problem. The 6 is a big car, but a nice one. I also like the earlier E9 series cars early coupes which are great cars if you buy a nice one but nightmares if you buy a project.

There's always Corvairs. Better than you might expect.

bikesnrovers
bikesnrovers New Reader
9/28/08 7:14 p.m.

How about a Lotus Elan +2?

My two cents worth.

wcelliot
wcelliot New Reader
9/29/08 10:45 a.m.

Ur-quattro, Corvair, etc just to add to the suggestions.

I'm personally thinking about building a sleeper Mercedes (maybe with one the attractive looking diesel powered W123 coupes)... an all-alloy GM V8 can be had in good shape for about $3000-5000... usually inclduing a 4sp auto transmission... a standalone engine management system to retain the injection and ignition systems, some fabrication of motor mounts, etc, and you have a 300hp four to five passenger rocket...

Bill

rconlon
rconlon Reader
9/29/08 11:05 a.m.

I would check my budget and taking into consideration that you already have the Boxter. Let's say $5-6K. Needs 4 seats Classic (ish) Fun Availability in your area.

The Fox body Mustang with tweaked handling.

Earlier type Civic has good driving characteristics. My kids loved the circus ride feeling of it and you can commute with it and park it next to trucks.

Cheers Ron

Cheers Ron

Ian F
Ian F Reader
9/29/08 1:27 p.m.

ddavid, I'm surprised at you...

Classic Mini.

Seats 4 comfortably (especially kids). Handles great. Decent forward movement with the right engine. Parts are fairly cheap.

Your kids will be BEGGING you to drive them to school every day.

wspohn
wspohn New Reader
9/29/08 6:21 p.m.

Jensen Interceptor.

Or if you want something really neat at what has to be a bargain price, the outrageous Lamborghini Espada - comfortable 4 seater.

docsaab
docsaab New Reader
9/29/08 7:00 p.m.

saab 900turbo especially convertible,cheap, fast,built like a tank, carry 4 persons and mine gets 35mpg on the highway. corvair late model65-69 excellent handling .cheap ,easy to run and fix, good mpg, tough as nails,way over looked 87-89 alfa romeo milano sedan ,fast fast fast,handles great ,cheap to buy ,carries 4 or 5 unique ,italiany feel and sounds!!mine gets 33mpg on the highway driven like an italian would. dodge shelby turbo cars,fast, cheap ,easy to fix, good mpg, room for 4 just my input

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
10/1/08 6:09 a.m.

I sorta thought we had covered the Mini in the early going here. Obviously, a good choice. You'll spend around ten grand for a good one though.

Oh Ron, I fixed your suggestion: "The Fox body Mustang with completely replaced suspension." A tweak ain't gonna do it. Budget $6000 for Maximum Motorsports parts to make it into something you won't despise.

rconlon
rconlon Reader
10/1/08 12:04 p.m.

Thanks Dwight: I thought you might beat me over the head for suggesting one but it is a kid hauler that is needed and might be used 4 seasons.

Cheers Ron

jmorgan456
jmorgan456 New Reader
10/4/08 12:07 p.m.

Wow a lot of good ideas. Definitely some i would not have thought of myself.

I had totally forgotten the Jensen and I never saw an Opel Manta.

I did not believe the AH 3000 carried 4.

The 3000 has now become the clear leader - starting research today.

The other option which has some merit is getting a later 911 and back dating it to look like a pre-73. I could get all the safety equipt and still have the looks. The downside is I will still have the smog stuff. Yes, I know it is cheating. But post '80 911's have MUCH less rust issues. Parts are aplenty - but they are a little more expensive.

Lets say, I made it into an "outlaw" would that offend?? Porsche people can get a little weird.

BTW on budget I was thinking like 10-15K plus repairs. That might make the porsche concept a little tight. I would have been perfect for the monster miata project. It might be non-doable for a AH3000.

The search is on.

MustangSix
MustangSix Reader
10/6/08 8:24 a.m.

A 1976 Porsche 912 might fit the requirement. Porsche started galvanizing the bodies that year and the Type 4 based engine is easy to fix and relatively economical. It could be built into something more powerful as well.

OFracing
OFracing New Reader
10/14/08 3:48 p.m.

I had the same problem, wanted a classic, fun to drive, carry 2 kids. I ended up with a 77 Mercedes 450 SLC. Limited production, around 10% of all SLs were the coupe model. The took a 450SL, cut it in half, welded in 17" of metal to give it a real back seat and a fixed roof to stiffen it up. They handle well, cost less than the convertibles and are fairly rare but parts( except for the rear window glass) are easy to find. I found a grey market one for $2500. Full European horsepower, not the emission sapped US model and its affordable. Down side is 12-16 MPG premium (leaded preferred) gas, but who cares, it's not my main ride. Needed body work, look for rust in the fenders and going over on most systems, after all it's a 30 Yr. old car but that's all part of the fun. BTW, while the kids are young, you could get a regular 450 SL and add the back jumper seat aftermarket package and have a classic convertible, but do plan on putting adults back there. my 2 cents worth

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gXmBym1pLig6UzywymOPW0yzpavkDKutO92WtWMoiPluUi65iJilEwiuCNAvFHMp