Bill
Bill New Reader
5/21/11 4:46 p.m.

Since this is a classics list I respect the wide range of experiences represented here. So here is the deal. I have had my 1970 Mk3 Triumph Spitfire for 17 years. It is a great car that I have enjoyed from the rolling restoration days, to the autocross days, to the daily driver days, and back to the sometimes driver days like now. This past February I purchased a 1980 Triumph TR8 that is in need of a lot of work but I am very excited about the car. The reality is that unless I sell the Spitfire the restoration of the TR8 will take a very long time due to funding. When I reflect on the Spitfire the times I enjoyed the car the most were when I was building it. I love both cars even though they could not be more different. The TR8 however is the car that made my head turn when I was young.

So should I sell the Spit to fund the TR8 or should I keep the Spit and take the long road?

Thanks!

NOHOME
NOHOME Reader
5/21/11 5:22 p.m.

Yes. The Spit is the old girlfriend and you obviously like the chase and the seduction more than the long term commitment. Dump the b**ch.

You are gonna have fun with the TR8

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
5/21/11 5:32 p.m.

I've struggled with that question wrt to my GT6. If I sold her I could buy a truck...

I have not driven her much since the FIAT came into my life, but she owes me nothing. Cheap to keep going and one day I wont be as busy.

So for the time being she's staying in the fleet.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Dork
5/22/11 11:16 a.m.

Consider a part time job keep both , need piks for solid review of your ?

tr8todd
tr8todd Reader
5/22/11 4:32 p.m.

Spiff up the TR8, and sell it for more than you have into it if you can. Restoring a TR8 is an expensive undertaking. You are far better off buying one that is all ready done. Unless you have a garage full of wedge parts, let someone else spend the money bringing it back. There is never a shortage of buyers looking for cheap TR8s. You won't have a problem selling it. Everybody thinks they can restore one for less than just buying one that is all ready done until they actually try it. Nice ones can be had for 8 to 12K almost at will. Highly modded big dollar build cars come up for sale often for under $15K.

TR8owner
TR8owner Reader
5/22/11 11:19 p.m.

I've owned both those cars. The TR8 is the keeper.

lasttr
lasttr New Reader
5/23/11 12:43 a.m.

Take the long road, and keep them both.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
5/23/11 9:15 a.m.

I can't imagine you not missing the Spit once it's gone. 17 years is a long time to grow attached.

On the other hand, I can totally relate to the idea of going all-in on a new project. If the TR8 is the car you've loved since your younger days, you might never look back to the Spitfire.

You could also argue that the Spitfire will help grow the hobby if it goes to the right home. That would be a silver lining to me.

Raze
Raze Dork
5/23/11 10:55 a.m.

Classic car ownership is a marathon, not a sprint. I say keep them both.

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
5/23/11 3:04 p.m.

I would agree with many in that selling the Spitfire might very well be something you regret. Any time I have sold car that I was a bit unsure of wanting to sell I have regretted it. My Aston DBS comes readily to mind.

I would try the keep both and deal with the TR8 as you have time. I love the TR8 but the Spitfire is a very different type of car. To keep both is ideal. :)

automediajoe
automediajoe New Reader
5/23/11 3:45 p.m.

Well the TR8 is definitely a future classic. I think, depending on what color you choose, it needs a few more years before they really become popular. As an investment the TR8 is the better choice. They made less that 30K of them compared to the Spitfire, of which, far more were made in the first year run alone. However, due to your long history with the spitfire id suggest keeping it if you can. I don't know how old you are but I am assuming you are at least 33 yrs old (16 driving age + 17 yrs car ownership). I like the second job idea or see if you can get some longer hours at work.

Another possibility is if you have a kid/grandkid/younger cousin/relative who really likes the car and will take good care of it. Have them buy it off of you, with the following provisions, 1) if they choose to sell it they have to contact you first and give you the option to buy it back. 2) since it was so near and dear to your heart you can occasionally borrow it for a weekend or something every now and then provided you ask them well in advance.

Other ideas (not sure where you live so I don't know how feasible these are) see if you can rent out the spitfire to a local classic or exotic car rental place (split the profits), lease it to a museum, store, restaurant, as an exhibit or decoration. Also i do know that people like classic cars in parades and stuff. I am well aware that the money earned from these sources over the course of the year probably isn't all that much, maybe a $1,000 if you're lucky, but you have cash for the Tr8 and you get to keep both cars.

rconlon
rconlon HalfDork
5/23/11 3:55 p.m.

I have had my Spider through thick and thin for 12 years. But, I say to go for the change. You obviously chose a good model for you and times and needs change after 17 years. You seem to suggest that you are a one-car-guy and like the restoration process as much anything. My Bro got rid of his Midget for a lot of reasons and replaced it with a Pininfarina spider to get more driving and less wrenching. He got a better highway car and added a few comforts along with vintage looks and mystique. So do it and let me know how it turns out. Cheers Ron

OFracing
OFracing Reader
5/23/11 6:44 p.m.

Is the TR8 a convertible? One needs the ability to go topless to appreciate a warm summer night in the country.

Keep both, there's a good chance they both won't be running at the same time anyway so it's better to have one available while waiting for parts for the other. I don't know if you have kids but restoring old sports cars are a great bonding experience too.

mike

5 complete Triumphs , 3 in parts and still looking

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
5/23/11 8:25 p.m.

Look at it this way. If you keep the Spit then you'll still have a classic to drive while you work on the TR8.

Bill
Bill New Reader
5/23/11 9:48 p.m.

Wow I really appreciate everyone's opinions. I think that a few years down the road I would really hate myself for selling the Spit. It is true that the Spit isn't a financial drain, is typically the car that fills in when the "modern" cars fail, and is just way too much fun. I have a lot of great memories in the car such as doing a 360 at 50mph at an autocross with my 10 yr old daughter along for the ride. I can still hear her giggle. Or the bone chilling ride home from a car show (3 hour drive) with my father who refused to let me put the top up.

Ya'll (yes I live in the south) have helped me realize that I really do enjoy the process and the product. If I keep the Spit the TR8 process will be slower and the result will be better as I will be more inclined to refurbish then replace.

So hats off to everyone who offered their opinion. The Spit stays next to the TR8 and in 4 years when the last child is done with college (at least my part) the house will be paid off and the TR8 will be ready to roll! I'll post more Spit pics as soon as I figure out how. BTW my wife did not want me to sell the Spit either...what a great lady!

Bill

lasttr
lasttr New Reader
5/24/11 12:07 a.m.

Man, there is nothing like a woman who says "don't sell the sports car!" Sounds like you've got three keepers.

SpitfireBGT
SpitfireBGT
5/26/11 10:50 p.m.

I'm welling up reading this. I am considering selling my 77 spit that I've owned for 27 years. A down payment for a house needs to be found and it is the most valuable thing that could be sacrificed. I drove it everyday for about 7 years even in winter and the body rotted away. I restored it comlpetely with a stage 2 engine wearing a pair of Weber DCOE's. I autocrossed it and did several track days with it. It makes me sick to my stomach that I may only get $5K for my first love. No real question here. just crying out loud to someone who might care. Mike

triumphcorvair
triumphcorvair New Reader
5/27/11 11:00 a.m.

You bring up an interesting dilema. I have both a 65 Corvair and 67 Spit and I've thought many times about selling one to help cover the costs for the other. Buts its that little voice in the back of my head that says to keep'em. Could tell you how many time people have told me they wish they still had....I've got a young son who I hope to give them both to him. Both my Vair & Spit is pictured in readers rides. No...it would be like selling my kids...I think I'll keep'em

Rupert
Rupert Reader
6/23/11 1:31 p.m.

In reply to triumphcorvair:

I will bring up one unfortunate fact. Kids, especially boys are pretty hard on any car, much less an older one! You might pass it along when he turns 25 or something like that.

I have a brother who gave his son a completely restored HURST OLDS 442. He had it almost a month before totaling it. A friend of mine gave his daughter a 914 in good shape. She barrel rolled it while changing the tape in the cassette deck.

I got hit in the rear a week ago by a young woman who was texting while driving her dad's 325i. Every young driver and many older drivers as well text or phone while driving now. This is the dangerous new norm! Don't give them any ride you cherish or even let them drive it unless you are sitting next to them at the time.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tOZpe5qFcBHxoAyZkydpsTUK7J2xxyQ0cSxUt49SHFsAe104am5bf4kOog0Ylnzp