1 2
btsave
btsave
2/10/08 7:01 p.m.

:omg: Well, I've flown the British flag (Triumphs, MGB, Midgets, Classic Mini's); marched with the Germans (BMW, Porsche, VW-Beetle); even flirted with the Swedes (SAAB).... now I have the urge to do something Italian. To bring me back to my parent's country or origin.. back to my garlic roots, so to spea. :)

Looking for something less than common, but maybe somewhat iconic. Moderate investment level, say $20k or so. 2 or 4 seater, doesn't matter.

Suggestions from the Board?

thanks!

Bart from Florida

KaptKaos
KaptKaos None
2/10/08 11:20 p.m.

Lancia Fulvia 1.6 HF Fiat 850 Racer (not the spider), in Abarth Trim Fiat Dino Coupe or Spider (might be too spendy) Detomaso Pantera - likely a basket case for that price point.

I'll think some more too.....

:grin:

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand None
2/11/08 2:06 a.m.

What does an Alfa 2600 (106 series) go for these days? Perhaps not particularly iconic, and certainly nothing that overwhelmed the market in the day, but I don't know what that means for potential enjoyment for the enthusiast today. If upmarket oddball six-cylinders don't tickle your fancy, there should be a number of 105-series cars in that price range to choose from, they are perhaps a bit more common, but then one could argue that they are popular with good reason. :nice: It doesn't get much more iconic than the Spider, does it?

ddavidv
ddavidv None
2/11/08 6:33 a.m.

You should be able to buy a Fiat Dino Coupe for that. The spider version has gone up and out of that price range. Ferrari Dino coolness without the high price tag, though they are a bit of a tough sell when you want to move on. Don't buy one as a project though. Way too hard to restore.

Fiat 2300S Ghia would be a similar choice, though they styling is love/hate.

You may be able to get into a Abarth for that. Not sure what 750 Zagatos are going for these days.

Best bang for the buck, though, is probably the Lancia Fulvia. Excellent HP/weight ratio. Available with a stylish Zagato body if the regular coupe doesn't move you. Decent parts support once you know who to call. One of the cars I'd like to own and haven't yet.

JohnBrown
JohnBrown GRM+ Memberand None
2/11/08 7:18 a.m.

Alf Romeos are always pretty nice cars. Almost common in OUR worls but to those looking in they are exotics.

rconlon
rconlon None
2/11/08 12:43 p.m.

Bart: I would vote for something Abarth/Fiat. This would be hard to find but worth it for the "iconicness" of it. The 124 Coupe is a pleasant change from the ordinary and for 20k you could get two.

Cheers Ron

btsave
btsave None
2/11/08 1:03 p.m.

I like the looks of the Fiat Dino Coupe, early 70's... now to find one with decent body panels. Seems to be an issue with finding replacement panels with these.. Comments?

racerdave600
racerdave600
2/11/08 1:25 p.m.

I doubt you'd find anything with an Abarth label for that money, but a replica would be cool. You can pick up the 600 based cars that have been converted into Abarths, some very authentic even. The biggest problem with Abarths is determining what's orginal and what isn't in the Fiat based ones. You'd never find something like a Record Monza for that money. Even with a replica, you're probably not likely to see one at any car show, and only a few vintage racing. They're awesome drivers, and with a one liter, very, very quick.

OK, back to the Alfa suggestion area. A 105 series Bertone GTV would be my top choice, followed by an earlier Sprint, etc. Early spiders that are decent may be above that amount. If you want an early spider, but still affordable, the '74's are nice cars, and for Fiats, I like the 124 Coupes a lot, but look for a good one, but they can be hard to find in any condition. One of my favorite Fiats is still the X1/9, although you may find it a bit common. It's so far ahead of the British cars in driving dynamics its not even funny (I still love my British cars though). With a few mods, it's seriously quick. Nothing this side of a Lotus drives like one. Also already mentioned, the Fiat Racers are really cool, but all but extinct. I still kick myself for passing on one a few years back for only a few hundred dollars, totally rust free but needing paint.

For a nice driver a little newer, Alfa GTV6s are wonderful cars, but still underpriced and mechanically ignored by many that can barely afford them. Awesome sounding motor and nice long distance tourer.

Others to look for: I've seen a few OSCA versions of the Fiat 1200/1500s go for too cheap lately, even if they did need a little work, and I've always wanted a Multipla, a tiny mini van based on the Fiat 600.

Fiat Dinos are also cool, but remember, the motors are more or less the same ones in the Dino 206/246 cars, so expect Ferrari money for rebuild parts, and labor rates if you don't so the work yourself. But they sound like, well a Ferrari, and almost as good as a GTV6!

JFX001
JFX001 None
2/11/08 5:15 p.m.

Wasn't there a Ferrari 308 "project car" for sale somewhere on the GR board in the past week or so?

You could buy it, fix it, and get your inner-Magnum on. ;):grin:

thebear54
thebear54 None
2/11/08 6:07 p.m.

How about a Fiat 500 or a Moretti? The Moretti is one way cool car (older versions were hand built and super nice). There is a guy about 15 miles North of me who has 26 of them in his barn.

IanF
IanF None
2/12/08 4:24 p.m.

If I had a hankering for something Italian, I'd probably go with a Alfa GTV similar to the CSM car.

btsave
btsave None
2/12/08 6:05 p.m.

What about this?

1979 Fiat Spyder Roadster Pinnanfarina

Is it too common?

ebay item # 360023072217

It reminds me of my MGB, which is both a positive as well as a negative, as I think that I would prefer a coupe this time around. Photobucket

ddavidv
ddavidv None
2/13/08 7:06 a.m.

Great cars. I probably wouldn't pick a '79 unless I wanted to change the induction system though. The 79-80 carb models had a very restrictive intake manifold and lots of emissions plumbing. Fixable, but a FI car is a lot simpler. Intake/carb from a 75-78 1800cc car bolts on and solves the problem, but there are several things you have to plug or remove.

Fiats are inexpenive to buy, and inexpensive to fix for the most part. No $180 hydraulic master cylinders on these, unlike British cars. More room than an Alfa Spider and can easily have equal performance. I've got a timeline history on my web site about 124's you may want to read. Mongrel Motorsports-about Fiat 124s

200mph
200mph
2/13/08 9:07 a.m.

Alfa GTV, Fiat 124 sound great.

I'm surprised no one has suggested the Fiat X1-9. Its wedge shape still looks modern today, and they were great handling cars. Bob Boig and others raced them successfully in SCCA so there should be some wide fenders around, etc. I wouldn't kick one out of my garage!

rconlon
rconlon None
2/13/08 2:03 p.m.

I have had one of these for 9 years/40,000 miles and still like it. My 79 has the induction upgrade as Dwight suggests and it is a perky 2 litre engine this way. My expenses with this car are still well under $8000 for purchase, restoration and maintenance. Is it too common? Only at a Fiat show, otherwise you will seldom see another. It is arguably your best introduction to Italian cars.
Cheers Ron

ddavidv
ddavidv None
2/14/08 5:37 a.m.

The X1/9 is too often overlooked. It replaced the 850, which was Fiat's rear engined version of a Sprite/Midget and a lot of fun in it's own right. The 850s can be real rust bombs though, and some parts are getting hard to get.

The X1/9 is sort of Spridget performance in a sexy package, as far as power. Handling is another story entirely. Introduced in 1974, they handled and turned like nothing else other than perhaps a Mini. Razor sharp reflexes. Also like the Mini, absolutely brilliant packaging and use of space. Some people find them cramped (if you are tall) but I'm 5-10 and never had a problem. I guess the targa kept them from being as collectible as true convertibles, but they are absolute bargains in the market right now.

rconlon
rconlon None
2/14/08 2:07 p.m.

I agree about the X1/9. I hope that CMS can find one in Florida to do that article and drag their reputation out of hiding.

Ron

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
2/14/08 2:36 p.m.

Look for X1/9 content in the very next issue, coming up soon.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t None
2/14/08 4:30 p.m.

A 1936 to 1948 front-engined FIAT 500 Topolino, for sure!

KaptKaos
KaptKaos None
2/14/08 8:33 p.m.

Best X1/9 site:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/

Good group of guys. Have fun learning about them there.

btsave
btsave None
2/14/08 9:57 p.m.

X1/9 looks SHARP but looks a little too modern for me. Reminds me of a TR8 I restored a couple of years ago. Is there a website/forum devoted to FIATs in general?

wcelliot
wcelliot
2/15/08 8:38 p.m.

$20k gets you a very decent Ferrari 308GT4 and leaves a little room left over for bringing service up to date. Parts are eye-watering, but contrary to popular belief, service isn't anything that a good home mechanic can't do.

I have a bit more than your number into a Ferrari 308GTB that I bought as a tatty driver... but most of the overage was on paint and body which I farmed out. but unlike most cars I've restored, it's now worth a good bit more than I've spent on it.

The GT4 actually drives better than the GTB (which drives better than the GTS)... and especially in a 1977 or earlier car is quicker than the (relatively) inexpensive '78+ GTB/S's.

If you're going to go Italian, go Italian. ;-)

Bill

ddavidv
ddavidv None
2/16/08 6:15 a.m.

The FLU club site (has a forum) The Mirafiori forum Which gets more traffic. It's an old type forum with no photos or anything, but the participants are top notch.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/16/08 11:30 a.m.

I know of a 308 GT4 for sale out West that needs paint and some minor fixing up. Price is around $17k.

T_Rocco
T_Rocco
5/6/08 8:43 p.m.

If you are serious about going outside the norm, I'd suggest a Lancia Scorpion... You can find a solid project for a small % of your budget. Parts are readily available. There are many Lancia parts suppliers here and in the UK that can deliver everything you might like/need. Guy Croft is a 2L DOHC guru of sorts. There are many mods you could go for, but if you invest anywhere near what you list as a budget you will end up with a very spirited performer. You could run along side the 308 you tested against the X1/9 and really have a contest. As a side note the 1983 Rally World Champion 037 is loosely based on the Scorpion/Montecarlo.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TOrEHeoM51dfLL5LbKUuaFrYQbxzkAnPFI0qdVXaVzYRmgPgtGkY7ghrnO1ZSVJD