bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
5/12/09 6:54 a.m.

It reminded me that I have two. the first being just my old '77 Chevy truck (owned for 20 years), but it's my baby and I WILL finish it! It's been down for about 12 years, through a move, a couple jobs, two kids, two dogs, etc.. Life gets in the way.
The other is a TVR 2500M. I've only owned this one about 1-1/2 years, but it hasn't run since 1986. I guess the good news is that my other TVR does run, and so does my Mustang, so at least I have something to drive and enjoy in the meantime. The bad news is that I'm now 10 years older, with health issues, and I'm not sure I'm going to get anything done on these cars any time soon!

bikesnrovers
bikesnrovers Reader
5/12/09 9:22 a.m.

Last time I know the Triumph GT6 ran was in 1991. I found receipts from Pep Boys where a PO had to buy two batteries in less than two months, also Wendy's receipts from the same year.

rconlon
rconlon Reader
5/12/09 11:16 a.m.

My Fiat has not run for all of 3 months during the post-purchase maintenance time. That was about ten years ago. I have avoided getting a project even though I have had many opportunities to pick them up. I have considered a long term retirement car project when that time comes.

Cheers Ron

Ian F
Ian F Reader
5/12/09 11:43 a.m.

My ES hasn't run in three or four years... and is currently in many pieces... As far as I'm concerned, the car had damn well better be done by the time I've owned it10 years...

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Reader
5/12/09 12:11 p.m.

1960 mercedez pontoon w/sunroof bought way back in the day 8 + years in garage secret location and i just bought a parts car 8 months or so ago and I just grill and headlight buckets / radio from someone .Total sickness . If I had an apartment in NY I would be the guy with newspapers stacked to the roof . I picked up a 2006 GRM issue from the mitty and per writes about old car projects and it sorta hit home . Got some stuff on ebay , C lists and soon to be GRm classifieds .

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile New Reader
5/12/09 10:04 p.m.

My TR-4...Parked it in 96. The chassis is completed, but the body guy has had it for 3 years or so...I need to call the body guy...LOL

TR-4

Photobucket

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Reader
5/13/09 5:28 a.m.

My RWA Midget (below) may end up a rat rod, or it may never run again.....it will depend on how much time I have over the next few years. It has already donated its 1275 engine to my A35 vintage racer, but I have an excellent 948 spare with good trans that will fit it. It's "hidden" in the woods at our summer house, so I am unlikely to even touch it this year.

I drove this Sprite (below) to college in the late 60s. It sits on its side in my garden shed (also at the summer house). I cut some frame parts off it last year for the Spridget racer, but at this point, it's like a week-old Thanksgiving turkey. One of these days I'll chop it up. The last time it ran was at a race at Bridghamton in the mid 70s.

The previous owner of ~My MGB~ (an old friend) let it sit in his garage for about 13 years. Then I bought it about two years ago and did an intensive, quick semi-resto. Took me about 6 months. All fluids changed, new brakes plus lines and a complete cleaning of everything (it took forever to clean up the wire wheels and re-paint them). It got new tires and I just put a new top on it. Since the history of the engine was unknown, I pulled the head, reground the valves and replaced the rings and rod bearing. Inside of the oil pan was filled with muck so I'm glad I did that. I discoved some beat up lifters so those were replaced too (cam was OK).

My A35 sat for at least 10 years in a barn in Ontario with the previous owner (see below). I picked it up this year. It will run (and race) this year.

GSCReno
GSCReno New Reader
5/15/09 10:07 a.m.

My '72 MGB had been sitting in a horse pasture for 18 yrs when I drug it home. That was 3 years ago, so I guess that means it's a member of the 20 year non-op club as well. Little wonder that it needs a rebuild... Cheers, Scott

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
5/15/09 11:05 a.m.

Pics or ban. Would you believe that the Ponton was one of my first automotive 'lusts'? There was a house in the middle of nowhere in Vermont that had a couple of these outside...it was along my schoolbus route....

Karl La Follette wrote: 1960 mercedez pontoon w/sunroof bought way back in the day 8 + years in garage secret location and i just bought a parts car 8 months or so ago and I just grill and headlight buckets / radio from someone .Total sickness . If I had an apartment in NY I would be the guy with newspapers stacked to the roof . I picked up a 2006 GRM issue from the mitty and per writes about old car projects and it sorta hit home . Got some stuff on ebay , C lists and soon to be GRm classifieds .
purplepeopleeater
purplepeopleeater New Reader
5/16/09 5:54 p.m.

A good friend bought a 49 Ford coupe in the 60s & ran a variety of Olds & small blocks in it. He took it off the road to restore it in '73 & it's a long ways from done yet.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JFw87dvxC7OtRyER5NMZo3C6zxFeZAOnapZ8FMuz58WhS1CTE5ySpxVAabluMgCo