Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
9/18/20 9:00 a.m.

For the past few years, you’ve poured your life, soul and wallet into restoring your classic car. So far, things have gone pretty well. You’ve done most of the work yourself, hiring only a few professionals along the way when you haven’t had the time, skills or equipment. 

The day finally comes when you go for that first ride, and …

Read the rest of the story

g8rbill
g8rbill
9/19/20 2:02 p.m.

I turned 16 in 1970 and bought a blue MG 1100 from Larkin Motors on 9th Street in Bradenton, Florida.  I got hired by them to be their errand boy and car washer - a  job that I loved.  In 1971 I traded in the 1100 for the 1968 MG Midget shown below (unfortunately, this is my only photo of that car).  Seeing the article above brought back so many fond memories and fun times that I had in that beautiful car.  The Primrose Yellow exterior with black interior has always been my favorite combination, and I love the stripped bumper with fog lights on the car above!  I wish that I had the skill to do these things, but it is not my gift.  I now get to drive a 2008 Miata MX-5, which is the closest thing to my old MG.

IMG_3828.JPG

ID10T
ID10T None
4/15/22 7:37 p.m.

I do the exact same thing with any used car or motorcycle I buy and the difference is often nothing short of amazing. The driving/riding experience is so much nicer not to mention the satisfaction of a job well done.  

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
4/21/22 9:30 a.m.

Yes, the sorting is the part of a restoration that makes the car truly enjoyable.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
4/21/22 10:18 a.m.

This is also the reason you can get a great deal on a car that was restored like 5 years ago and the owner now wants gone cause it is not getting used.

Good article.

carloshermida
carloshermida
6/18/22 12:16 p.m.

joeymec
joeymec New Reader
12/10/22 1:25 p.m.

Anyone who doesn't put a classic car back together has no clue what the sorting process is.  Those stupid car restoration shows that put a car back together in a week and drive it off' into the sunset' are such BS.  The sorting process can be rewarding and frustrating at the same time.  That is why I do it.  I enjoy the project much more than the finished car.  Everyone is different.

Here is my example.  20+ years ago I a found a Bugeye nose (common) and cutoff tail (not so common) at a swap meet.  I have plenty of Spridget experience so I decided to make a Mark IV  Bugeye (?).   For those of you who know, that doesn't exist.  Anyway I took a 78 rubber bumpered Midget (which I have no use for), cut the tail off and installed the Bugeye tail (some extensive body work)  The nose was no work in literally rebolting to the later model tub.  Swapped out the 1500 motor and installed a modified 1275. I then also installed a Rivergate 5 speed conversion kit with a Datsun 1980 210 trans. I took the doors and removed all the roll up window guts and made the doors ready for custom side curtains that I wanted to build. The late model padded dash was removed and I installed a mid 60's steel dash.  My goal was to make a 'modern' Bugeye with the later Midget technology, a la with a folding top, and at the same time keep the classic lines.     To the untrained eye, it looks like an original classic but it anything but that.  It was a car I was planning to keep.   The project took about two years and after alll the sorting and help I had from my other Spridget buddies, I finally got in it and took it for a ride. I absolutely hated the the way it drove!  It felt so 'doggy' not like any other Spridget I had put back together.   I wound up moving to Vermont from NJ and took the car with me.  I never really got to drive it again and eventually sold it on Ebay in 2010.  I recouped all my investment.  It really looks great and was a fun project to envision and build.  I'm glad  I did it but it just didn't pan out as the driver I wanted.  So the story ends with 'you never know where the project is going to end up'!!

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
12/10/22 7:26 p.m.

In reply to Carl Heideman :

You are preaching to the choir. As a racer the car isn't done until it will finish a weekend without problems.

You don't even bring it until you are sure because in addition to wasted entry fee ( often $500+)  and there is the travel expenses. Reservation costs and wasted preparation.  
     I know people who tried for over two years unsuccessfully to finish a race.  

bosswrench
bosswrench New Reader
5/14/23 2:59 p.m.

My close friend had an MG Midget he autocrossed but after the 3rd set of broken rear axles along with all the stock but modern cars blowing him off the road, he swapped in a modified RX-7 rotary with IRS. Looks stock but does NOT drive nor sound that way! Talk about a sleeper! All it really needs now is a semi-truck muffler... or earplugs.

bosswrench
bosswrench New Reader
5/14/23 2:59 p.m.

My close friend had an MG Midget he autocrossed but after the 3rd set of broken rear axles along with all the stock but modern cars blowing him off the road, he swapped in a modified RX-7 rotary with IRS. Looks stock but does NOT drive nor sound that way! Talk about a sleeper! All it really needs now is a semi-truck muffler... or earplugs.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZJVQkL6KCNODi89f5072C55OHf2Dy2rTZFO5cP0pzg0XT528v8RPqLuSfdR1D5OV