Lugnut
Lugnut HalfDork
4/2/11 3:53 p.m.

I hate to be a complainer, really, I do. But I was really disappointed in the 80s car feature this issue. Every time we see a writeup on classics that are daily drivable, or affordable, or from the 70s, or from the 80s, it's always the 308, 930, and Esprit, with an honorable mention to the 928 and 6er.

I understand that these five cars hit all four of those very important criteria, but I think all of us subscribers have an easy dozen articles with comparos and writeups on these same five cars.

You mentioned the XJS - we haven't had a feature on one in a while! I'd love to read one, and maybe see some pictures of some nice stock ones, the wicked Group 44 one, maybe some modified cars... I remember there was an XJ6 coupe and XJS article a few years ago. I liked it.

Ditto for the SL (well, except the Group 44... were there any racing SLs? I would love to read about that, too!)

How about some other 80s, halfway reliable and available classics? Maybe a new multi-country shootout: Delorean, Volvo 242GT or Turbo, turbo Mustang, turbo BMW E23 745 or E28 M5, Aston Martin V8, TR8, Bentley Turbo R (which I REALLY want a feature on!)... All of those are cool, classic 80s icon cars. Anything but the same-old, same-old.

VClassics
VClassics Reader
4/2/11 4:41 p.m.

Yeah, but I have to say that I'd never even heard of a Lamborghini Jalpa before.

Series6
Series6 Reader
4/2/11 5:47 p.m.

I'd have to agree with Lugnut but I'm guessing that's why CM/GM keeps this website Forum. To keep the pulse. I would recommend the members here posting articles and cars they'd be interested in reading about. It benefits both the readership and the Mags. We end up with publications we'd share with other enthusiasts and they end up broadening their appeal, hence readership and SUBSCRIPTIONS. The larger the subcription base and (I forget the term used in the Publishing business) the ones besides the subscribers that read the mag. Bigger that number is the more they can invoice for advertizers....
Which means two things: 1-The Mags get bigger/better>we get a better product, and 2-Tim gets more projects and toys in his garage!

Yea!!

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
4/2/11 8:38 p.m.

I dunno, I liked it and it got me wanting an Esprit again. maybe a second article, 80's Supercars that aren't bellybutton 80's supercars. (except the Jalpa)

TR8owner
TR8owner Reader
4/3/11 7:00 p.m.

I didn't think any of those cars were a bad choice, just that none of them would be my choice. Maybe the Lotus Esprit but none of the others just based on practical every day driver reasons. I would have preferred the second five to be honest.

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
4/4/11 12:10 a.m.

Thanks for the feedback on the story and I love the Jalpa quite a bit and i am pretty sure we have never written much at all on the Esprit. Just sayin'...

The only racing R107 Mercedes was a 450SLC 5.0 rally car that I actually just missed out on buying a few years back. Sadly only that one car was ever raced. They were just too heavy.

Also I did a comprehensive Aston V8 buyers guide last year. They have also become pretty expensive, more than any two cars on the list in the article combined so we did not consider the Aston as a fair car to compare to the others.

I think there is likely an XJS in our future. I am looking at buying a 1977 car right now that I am likely to end up buying.

The Bentley is a personal favorite, having owned one before. I think you can look forward to something on it exclusively and as part of another story.

The benefit and curse of this business is that we all end up with projects and toys in our garage. If the DB7 did not have any editorial value, I doubt that I would have bought it. Same for the Volvo 1800S I just bought. Expect to see more of both on the site and in the magazine.

Please keep the feedback coming, it helps us and the magazine.

ronbros
ronbros Reader
4/6/11 7:02 p.m.

i have one for sale , pix in my ronbros garage.

extremly rare, 78 XJS roadster modded V12, full restoration,rotessorie.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
4/7/11 10:08 a.m.

Several of the "More icons to consider" seem to be almost more Grassroots Motorsports than Classic Motorsports - it seems they aren't quite as collectible yey, and as such often tend to be hacked up with various go fast mods instead of restored. I've seen M6s running around with some rather cobbled together turbo setups, '80s Jaguars often seem to end up with small block Chevies in them, etc.

A comparison of these would still make a very interesting article, but it seems it would be a rather different sort. Some may be future classics, some may be more suited to track toys. (I wouldn't mind owning another C4 Corvette, but this time as a race car and not a daily driver...)

GSCReno
GSCReno Reader
4/7/11 3:28 p.m.

I have to agree that the "More Icons to Consider" was more my cup 'o tea than the feature itself. Mostly because I'm an unabashed Shark freak. I am starting to see the prices for well maintained original M6's nudging the 20k mark lately, with Dinan tuned cars leading the way. IMHO the lack of a manual 'box and the reputation of poor reliability and pricey repairs hurting XJS prices. I don't understand why TR8 prices are still so low. Geez, they've been on most everybody's "better buy it now" list for 15 years now. All that said, I enjoyed the article. Maybe a 5 runners up shootout at some point in the future? Cheers, Scott

Lugnut
Lugnut HalfDork
4/7/11 6:09 p.m.

You know what would be a cool 80s icon article? I have never seen a comparo of all of the different wacky wacky Callaway Turbo cars! They did a GTV6, a 944, Corvettes... They must have done even wierder ones.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
4/8/11 7:59 a.m.
Lugnut wrote: You know what would be a cool 80s icon article? I have never seen a comparo of all of the different wacky wacky Callaway Turbo cars! They did a GTV6, a 944, Corvettes... They must have done even wierder ones.

I'm not sure if it was released as a turn-key car or just a kit, but there were Callaway VW turbos as well. (And while not normal Classic Motorsports fare, the Mazdaspeed Protege is also a Callaway turbo car.) Hugh MacInness's book Turbochargers shows some of the now-obscure Callaway creations.

ronbros
ronbros Reader
4/9/11 6:45 p.m.

just because a car is RARE does not make it valuable, its people who make a car valuable, something like a diamond on your finger, cant eat it, cant sell it, cant drive it ETC. so you just keep it in a box hidden away from prying eyes. lets face it if you were stuck on a deserted island,in the middle of nowhere, someone offered you another diamond or a hamburger, i absolutly know what youd do.LOL,LOL.

what fools these mortals be!!!

sometimes i wonder about this whole car collector industry, is it just a crazy waste of effort, with lack of direction, hoping for a miracle.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
4/18/11 10:12 p.m.

We are listening, right up to the top and hear what you are saying. I didn't write it, but I liked the story. We try to focus some articles on full on classics and some on cars that are going to be a classic. We try to keep a lot of the magazine approachable and these cars are super cool and everyone can find one and most everyone can afford one, especially if you factor in the practicality of a lot of them.

I am actually driving a new Jaguar XK-R this week. It has 510 hp and drives really nice. This has me thinking about a ten year old XK again, for 1/5 the new car's $100,000 price tag.

maseratiguy
maseratiguy New Reader
4/20/11 10:54 p.m.

I liked the article, beacuse of the info on the Jalpa, you don't see those written about very often,...But it left out the Maserati Merak SS which in it's day was the natural competitor to the Ferrari and the Lambo. that was like doing a pony car article on a Camaro, a Mustang and Javelin, but leaving out the 'Cuda. .just sayin..

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
4/25/11 9:49 a.m.

Good point Maseratiguy, we did do some searching for a Merak, in fact I have owned one and will likely own another, but we could not locate a good one for photos. Look out for a Maserati story in an upcoming issue.

I really like the Merak, first because they are terribly affordable and second, because I am 6'4" and comfortable in them which is amazing for a mid-engined Italian exotic.

morrel1
morrel1 New Reader
4/25/11 9:41 p.m.

I enjoyed the article. I bought an '87 911 Carrera a few years ago with the goal of ultimately obtaining a complete 80's car collection. While the 911 Turbo (930) may be more iconic I think most CM readers would find the normally-aspirated Carrera an easier purchase prospect. For some reason many of the 80's-era 911 Turbos I've seen have been neglected or suffered from poorly conceived modifications.

One of the best aspects of sports cars from the 80's is the quality of the cars was usually far better than the previous decade. And, as a bonus, owners can reasonably tackle many maintenance issues. This was an era before OBD, air bags, GPS nav., heated seats, and other electronic "enhancements" that have little to do with the driving experience.

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
4/26/11 3:07 a.m.

The very first 911 I drove was a grey market turbo. I was 17 and the year was 1985...Or 86...No matter. At first I was all scared n' stuff, 'cause C&D and R&T were saying how powerful it was and could catch you off guard. I stalled it it twice and finally Miss Kimmel (it was her husbands car) said to just stand on it...

Well at 3000 RPM(12 O'clock position) the car just came totally alive! Im sure the corners of my mouth were touching my ears.

Leo

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i81KJ9a3Qm1ShGin9J04k7c6DuFEivEZDlN2K0cwH4yuwKUsIps6r1p4gusWWebt