1 2
Rhodyspit75
Rhodyspit75 New Reader
5/21/16 6:38 a.m.

We prefer " inexpensive ". In reply to Tim Suddard:

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/8/16 6:15 a.m.

I picked up a 1972 MKIV last year on a whim as it was minimally advertised on ebay as "rust free, MKIV, good project car" for $750. When I went to pick up the car, found out it was purchased from the original owner in 1980 and stored in the garage for the last 35 years. Completely original with all the pieces of trim that are normally long gone on these cars, I could not believe how rust free it really is. The owner put on Koni shocks, and replaced the rear diff and had pulled the engine but never got around to rebuilding it. It even has factory original bolt on wire wheels in good condition.

In many ways it should be restored to stock as it would be the perfect car for that, but with the values so low, this does not make sense to me. Plus, I know my interest in 50 HP in an old car would quickly get boring, So my plan is to resto-rod it into a street car built to my personal specs as follows:

S2000 engine and 6 speed transmission ($4,000 on ebay all the time)

WRX LSD with the New Zealand casting to mount as original in the stock chassis with a GT6 Rotoflex suspension with the upgraded CV joint axles from an MGF. (I picked up all the parts for this last year for $500)

Upgraded Front suspension with shorter springs and adjustable shocks, with GT6 uprights

Toyota 4 pot calibers and vented rotors (as on my challenge car)

Chassis reinforcements to stiffen the twisting of the body, including a bolt in rear rollbar that connects the frame, modifications to the frame to fit the S2000 engine/transmission

Stock interior (but upgrade the seats), and stock bodywork to keep it a sleeper

Rota 15" wheels and 195/50/15 tires (front) and 205/50/15 (rear) tires - probably have to roll the fender edges

The results should be a stock Spitfire body, with the clean lines and simple bumpers of the MKIV, but under that clamshell, there would be a killer engine and chassis built to handle the power and a much stiffer chassis so the car can handle as intended. Car is being built primarily for the street but would also do the occasional autocross.

Thoughts?

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Reader
6/8/16 6:35 a.m.

When you do it, start a build thread. I'd love to see this happen. Nice find, BTW.

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/8/16 11:16 a.m.

In reply to JoeTR6:

Thanks, my wife does not see the value (why did you buy that junk car) and it does not help that it is painted that wonderful brown that triumph used on so many cars in the 70's. I will definitely start a build thread, but won't start until the winter. I have my challenge car resurrection first to complete and some other projects at the moment, so I am still in the "collecting parts" phase, but it will be built.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OE5U3uzlQtwLu5eDDMJf9dyrmEl7clrwKPeOFD51Xnix4nkCTjvtdb139I0HSMXv