bikesnrovers
bikesnrovers Reader
5/18/09 2:26 p.m.

A few years ago Peter Egan wrote about "special rules." And I think that is why I would not let someone else drive my Land Rover - there are a few "special rules" that need to be followed... brakes need one pump before they grab really good; 1st gear is non-syncro and third likes to pop-out every once in a while; shift points with the diesel are, well, tricky; and there are other little things.

Having said this, as long as someone knows the "special rules," is willing to pay for what they break, has adequate health and life insurance, then sure, take it for a spin!

André Rousseau
André Rousseau Reader
5/18/09 2:33 p.m.

I remember the first time I let some try the GT6 who was a non LBC type.

Engine fires up and redlines. WRT? Shut it down. Check the links. Try again same results. Ok 1 more time. Leaned in to the cabin. DUDE GET YOUR FOOT OFF THE GAS.

If it had gone into gear the car would have been inside my house.

Worst of all. My friend drives stick. My wife verified the issue when she tried to help me.

"Special" rules must always apply.

A.

OFracing
OFracing New Reader
5/18/09 3:03 p.m.

I let my crew take the racing spitfire out for a track day at Pocono last year. Warned them about the over steer if they get on the gas too soon coming out of a turn. Yea, Sure, no problem, I know how to deal with that.

4 spins and one crushed exhaust pipe later from going off track and "finding" a lost concrete pad in the grass they believed me.

I think they appreciate my driving abilities a little more now (I love showing off )

mike

rconlon
rconlon Reader
5/18/09 3:23 p.m.

For the first four years, I did not feel the car was good enough to let someone not familiar with it, drive it. The brakes tended to pull to one side on the first press and then would be fine. I fixed this and other ideosyncrasies and now am happy enough to lend it to another "car" person.
We do an event where we have swapped spiders to feel how this or that upgrade changes a car. Neat to try a tricked engine or upgraded brakes and suspension. Others are curious why they have low power or sloppy steering and realize that the cars can be better.

Cheers Ron

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
5/18/09 3:59 p.m.

Yeah, rules...

I'll let pretty much anyone drive the Mini, supervised. It's just that kind of car.

My '65 F100 requires a pre-flight school because of it's numerous idiosyncrasies, not to mention no power anything.

The BMW race car, heck go for it. You're not likely to break that thing.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 HalfDork
5/18/09 6:15 p.m.

Other enthusiasts being the key here as they should understand the "rules" and would probably ask about any idiosyncracies before turning the key. Would I let just anybody? Uhm...no. But another enthusiast? yeah...within reason.

A couple years ago a fellow club member wanted his MGA put in a club display but would be out of town for it. He brought the car to me and I took it there, showed it and brought it straight home. I appreciated his trust in me more than just cruising it.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Reader
5/18/09 7:01 p.m.

Anyone is welcome to drive my minivan.

My other cars? No way!!

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile New Reader
5/18/09 9:28 p.m.

I like to swap: 'You can drive mine, if I can drive yours'

Leo

KaptKaos
KaptKaos Reader
5/18/09 10:35 p.m.

Swapping within a make/model club is certainly a great way to learn the good, the bad and the ugly about your own car. 914s have notoriously bad shifting and I would let someone unfamiliar with the 901 trans drive one.

My Volvo 122 on the other hand is so easy to drive its not funny. You just need to watch the manual brakes.

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
5/19/09 6:24 a.m.

It depends on who wants to drive it. I'll let friend's who are car guys drive any of my cars, no problem. Some other people will never get that opportunity!

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
5/19/09 6:31 a.m.

I often thought the idea of a 'car swap' would be a good thing. Collector cars aren't exactly the kind of thing you can just go and test drive to decide if you really like one or not. I'd like to see like-minded enthusiasts get together and exchange cars to try different flavors. I think if it's car owners, and not just Joe DownTheStreet, the terror factor would be greatly reduced.

Again, anyone who wants to drive a Mini, if you've got something cool no matter what it is, we should talk.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
5/19/09 9:07 p.m.

I let my enthusiast friends drive my BGT, but only on slow and easy roads with no traffic. I don't have any vintage car friends that don't have their own anyway, so no worries there. Its amazing when someone who is into cars but has never driven a classic car before actually does. Its like they finally get it, they understand why people drive them.

bikesnrovers
bikesnrovers Reader
5/20/09 8:29 a.m.
mattmacklind wrote: Its amazing when someone who is into cars but has never driven a classic car before actually does. Its like they finally get it, they understand why people drive them.

Yep, one drive and people are usually hooked! Unfortunately, or fortunately, that happened to me in my teens.

rconlon
rconlon Reader
5/20/09 10:59 a.m.

Getting hooked, often as not, is not so much the driving experience of out moded technology but when the driver finds themselves in a rolling car show with an appreciative audience everywhere they go. Try finding that with a modern car for under $200,000.

Cheers Ron

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Reader
5/21/09 10:47 a.m.

Guy with a lotus type car on display at the Rolex a couple of years ago let me jump in for a spin around the speedway which was nice . I drive peoples new cars all the time so no big thrill when i pull them around to be tinted . Letting a fellow enthusiasts drive your car should be new car club activity. Next thing you know he's driving your other play toys.

Series6
Series6 New Reader
5/21/09 11:09 p.m.

I can't remember ever allowing a drive when asked. If I think someone is competent I may offer it. If they have a restored vehicle and I see how they maintain and drive their own I may offer it. I find that most people in our hobby/obsession have respect for the work of others and won't ask, but if offered will treat the car well.

Many years ago I had a vintage BMW sidecar rig and after months of badgering I let this German fellow drive it. Heck, he had worked for BMW and he was German....Surely that qualifies him, right? He misjudged the left hand U turn and rammed the sidecar wheel into a curb. Bent the rim and broke some spokes.

No, he never paid for the damage. Apparently it was my fault that the rig was wider than he thought it should be... Nope. You don't own one, don't ask.

Trevor
Trevor Dork
5/22/09 6:09 a.m.

I have often asked for a ride in others cars, and many times they offer to let me drive.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LMpoS5sLeD7mJud3W8wpGCsC8zIZiCD9WBjt1WVQgbbvCcg8XwFwjIGONrjuqEaX