Bryan
Bryan Reader
2/23/09 2:57 p.m.

Just got back from looking a Spitfire Mk 2. Thats all I could find out about it other than 40,000 miles. It looked pretty rusted out to me. On one spot when you lift the "bonnett" there is a big ole' rust hole in the heater box/firewall, you can see the pedals. Rust this bad is very unusual for west Texas, normal for a old Spit? The guy is asking $2200, that seems very high for a project car. I do not have the time, patience, and skill for it. What do our panel of experts think about the rust (normal) and the price.

André Rousseau
André Rousseau Reader
2/23/09 3:30 p.m.

God, if its not running....

I'd say walk away.

A.

André Rousseau
André Rousseau Reader
2/23/09 3:31 p.m.

OFracing
OFracing New Reader
2/23/09 3:56 p.m.

Last weekend I picked up 2 running 1500 Spitfires (79 &80), one is currently registered and on the road, both with hardtops, a spare parts car, 2 spare engines and tranny and a car dolly to tow them away. They both had some needs,will need new soft tops, seat skins, faded bumpers and probably a respray but no serious rust.

Price for the package $3,000.

My wife has been looking for a Spit with a hardtop, she found a pair, but there have been many others we've passed up on because they didn't have a factory hardtop. For $2,000, in todays market, you can do better.

New Spits slideshow

mike

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
2/25/09 9:17 p.m.

$3000-6000 buys you a nice daily driver/local car show level Spitfire in most parts of the country. I spent many times that figure to restore the Group 44 GT6+ (essentially the same car with many of the same parts).

The older ones are cool looking, and the 1500 Spitfires are more comfortable, modern and usable.

Unless you just love rust repair, get a decent car fort hat price and leave the projects for the sickos (like me)

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Reader
2/27/09 8:38 a.m.

I have a guy less than 2 miles from me with 2 spitfires . Both titled one solid with hard top light rust complete and parts car free motor new tires . $800 bux

OFracing
OFracing New Reader
3/2/09 12:51 p.m.

I'm so glad my wife doesn't follow this forum, she'd have me chasing down those cars. She can't pass up a deal and I really don't want any more projects for a while.

mike

spitfirebill
spitfirebill HalfDork
3/4/09 7:32 a.m.

Run, don't walk away.

My last Spitfire was given to me. It wasn't running, but was almost rust free.

I have a largely restored Mk I you might could buy for only a little more than twice that amount.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Reader
3/4/09 9:52 a.m.

Tim:

At least your car has a VIN number and a history that makes the effort worthwhile from a historical and future value standpoint.

Bryan's candidate sounds worse than most Spitfires advertised as parts cars. How bad would it be to go look at a parts car and discover it's in better shape than your project?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
geTnQMNDXAltaBVwwp1B4vhAvuM9qe2TNrbzA2BGEQnnD5U8HpZGLT0mMqnAfSWi